Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Half Of Americans Admit to Re-Gifting

Half of Americans Admit to Re-Gifting

Reuters

NEW YORK (Oct. 5) - Wrapping up that unwanted picture frame from last Christmas and giving it to someone else as a gift might not be as taboo as it once was, according to a study released on Wednesday.

The survey of 1,505 American adults, conducted by market research firm Harris Interactive, found that over half of the respondents admitted to "re-gifting" with passing on gifts becoming a far more common and acceptable phenomenon.

In fact 78 percent of consumers who were polled felt that it was acceptable to re-gift some or most of the time.

Nancy Wong, a spokeswoman for Harris Interactive, said she was surprised by the number of people who admitted to re-gifting.

"It's not something I've thought about and when I saw that nearly half had done it -- 52 percent have re-gifted and or would re-gift -- it's quite a significant number," Wong told Reuters.

According to the survey, the mostly commonly re-gifted items were decorative household items, such as vases, paintings, picture frames and other trinkets.

Wong said that while 77 percent of respondents said they re-gifted because the item was perfectly suited to the new recipient, in some cases, the re-gift was far less generous.

The study showed that nine percent of people admitted that they re-gifted out of laziness to purchase a new gift and four percent confessed that they re-gifted out of dislike for the recipient.

I've done this on occassion but not often. What does everybody think? Is this ok or not?

I think I've mentioned before I get cynical about the whole gift buying frenzy - particularly the obligatory giting - so yes, I've done it a couple of times - particularly if it's like the office christmas party where you have to bring a gift etc.

I've never regifted, even though some gifts I've recieved were pretty out there. One gift I actually got for Christmas was a padded toliet seat :nono:

I've never regifted, even though some gifts I've recieved were pretty out there. One gift I actually got for Christmas was a padded toliet seat :)

I agree. A padded cell would have been much more appropriate......... :)

If that toilet seat was padded and heated I would love to have that as gift so I could use it back in my hometown. :) I have spent too many very cold mornings waking up the hard way with a frozen toilet seat. :)

I have never re-gifted. I'll just flat out GIVE it to someone, usually my daughter or her friend. But my family always asks for shopping lists from the birthday person. Or at Thanksgiving we write up our Christmas list.

makes me think about how Will Ferrel kept trying to give away his bread machine that he once recieved as a gift on the movie Old School :)

Edited by Gamera

TUH, you're not alone. Our family does that. But we also try to come up with the odd surprise once in awhile too, so that some of the mystery is preserved. Of course, in my family, mystery is the name of the game with my dad (and I'm getting there too) where we really can't think of anything we really want for Christmas, content as we are.

Eve, we write our Christmas lists by Thanksgiving too. Those day after Thanksgiving sales.....oh brother. I don't shop on the day after Thanksgiving, but my mother does.

Reuters

NEW YORK (Oct. 5) - Wrapping up that unwanted picture frame from last Christmas and giving it to someone else as a gift might not be as taboo as it once was, according to a study released on Wednesday.

The survey of 1,505 American adults, conducted by market research firm Harris Interactive, found that over half of the respondents admitted to "re-gifting" with passing on gifts becoming a far more common and acceptable phenomenon.

In fact 78 percent of consumers who were polled felt that it was acceptable to re-gift some or most of the time.

Nancy Wong, a spokeswoman for Harris Interactive, said she was surprised by the number of people who admitted to re-gifting.

"It's not something I've thought about and when I saw that nearly half had done it -- 52 percent have re-gifted and or would re-gift -- it's quite a significant number," Wong told Reuters.

According to the survey, the mostly commonly re-gifted items were decorative household items, such as vases, paintings, picture frames and other trinkets.

Wong said that while 77 percent of respondents said they re-gifted because the item was perfectly suited to the new recipient, in some cases, the re-gift was far less generous.

The study showed that nine percent of people admitted that they re-gifted out of laziness to purchase a new gift and four percent confessed that they re-gifted out of dislike for the recipient.

I've done this on occassion but not often. What does everybody think? Is this ok or not?

Somehow this makes me think of a Seinfeld episode.

Reuters

Somehow this makes me think of a Seinfeld episode.

I was just thinking the same thing... :)

Reminds me of a joke:

A woman receives an invitation to her friend's wedding. She's excited, but she has no clue what to get her as a wedding gift. Finally, she decides that she and her husband should give a silverware set that they got for their wedding. All that would need to be done was have the name ground off the handles and re-done with the new couple's name.

So she takes it to a metal worker who does those kind of things. She explains what she wants. The worker looks at a spoon and says, "Lady, this metal can only withstand so much reworking!"