Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Human telepaths

Why no human telepaths in Star Trek?

Because Humans aren't telepathic? Or are we? Remote Viewing.

That sounds about right it could also be because the human brain is not as developed as some of the other races.

They have had humans growing to have telekinetic powers and becomes something more powerful. Like Gray Mitchell and Elizabeth Dehner. So someone should evolve into have telepathic abilities.

I dunno about humans not having some sort of higher mental functions like telepathy.my grandma used to freak me out with her 6th-sense(or whatever it was).She used to always know whenever somebody in the family was going to get ill or die,or get into some sort of trouble,or even have something wonderful happen to them.Maybe she just had her indian mojo working.She was a choctaw from Oklahoma.I just wished I had gotten her to tell me more about my family's native american roots before she passed away.

Why no human telepaths in Star Trek?

There was mention of a human empath in TNG's Eye of the Beholder. The character of Walter Pierce was said to be empathic and that he had left an empathic signature which caused Lt. Kwan to commit suicide and Troi to almost follow later.

Thats right Takara! Although he was an "Alien Human". I wonder why it is in every instance of Human telepathy in Trek it is always shone in a negative light. I think that was the question prometheus was hoping to have explored on this thread and I have no idea why that is so. Perhaps for some reason, tptb are afraid of showing Humans having telepathic abilitys.

Thats right Takara! Although he was an "Alien Human". I wonder why it is in every instance of Human telepathy in Trek it is always shone in a negative light. I think that was the question prometheus was hoping to have explored on this thread and I have no idea why that is so. Perhaps for some reason, tptb are afraid of showing Humans having telepathic abilitys.

Would you want your neighbor, your boss or maybe even your wife to be able to read your mind? Talk about the utlitmate invasion of privacy. I'd think if there were telepaths they'd keep it hidden because they wouldn't want to be hunted down - like some SciFi channel movie I just watched about telekinesis.

I think it is possible for humans to develope that gift and even by the time TNG takes place, but why they would not, i don't know. I have always liked the idea, though. Guess that is why i wrote Lessa to have it, but she is not human.... :look:

We only use 10% of our brain. Who knows what we are capable of doing if we knew how to tap into the rest. One day maybe !!  :look:

Stardate:213592.8

Remember the movie "Power"(I think thats what it was called)That kid used 100% of his brain and look what he was able to do.

We only use 10% of our brain. Who knows what we are capable of doing if we knew how to tap into the rest. One day maybe !!  :look:

Stardate:213592.8

Remember the movie "Power"(I think thats what it was called)That kid used 100% of his brain and look what he was able to do.

Do you mean Powder ?

Yes, he was speaking of the movie POWDER. I didn't like it becuase...

Click for Spoiler:

he commited suicide in the end after only being in the world for, what, a week? If he were saving a life, then I would'a liked the ending.

Anywho, I don't believe in evolution, however, I do believe in adaptation, like when I butterfly changes color through generations. That sort of thing. Supposedly, we only use 10% of our brain. I believe we use more than this, becuase "something" has to tell our body what to do. Maybe that 10% is for our mind? Anywho, that's not the issue. I've allways believed that humans are not capable of super-natural powers, telepathy, spychokenesis (spelling?), and so on. I do believe it's "possible" for one to have "some" kind of ability due to a fluke in one's DNA or something. However, as a race of Human beings, I don't think we have abilities as such. Either we have it or we don't, and if we did, I highly doubt we would not have discovered it by now.

As for those who practice such methods as "remote viewing" and have "psychic" experriences, well... I think these are things of a demonic nature and should be avoided. Don't spaz out, that's just my opinion, but a strong opinion all the same.

Ah, I don't believe humans can evolve into energy. When we die, we go to Heaven or Hell, well, according to my believes anyway. :look: If the movie had more of a fantasy-type story, I could accept that he "evolved" kind'a like Kes did in VOY "The Gift", but due to the movie's realism, it just look like he exploded into nothing.

Ah, I don't believe humans can evolve into energy.  When we die, we go to Heaven or Hell, well, according to my believes anyway. :look: If the movie had more of a fantasy-type story, I could accept that he "evolved" kind'a like Kes did in VOY "The Gift", but due to the movie's realism, it just look like he exploded into nothing.

But it was a Sci-Fi film. Another thing he hadn't just been in the world for a week. His parents had to keep him locked in the dark for his own safety, and the safety of others. Because he attracted lightning

When I said "the world", I ment outside his parents (grandparents?) farm. :lol:

Anywho, despite it being sci-fi, I just couldn't buy that he "evolved into energy".  Just too new age for me.

Stardate:213595.4

Thats why its a MOVIE its called Science FICTIONnot real.You dont have to belive in it.They have Klingons in Star Trek Movies but that doesnt mean I have to believe that there are really Klingons :look:

Anyways I belive it could be possible for humans to develop telepathic abilites if our brains evolve to that point.But for right now we dont know whats going to happen so in all realtity whose to say wheather or not we will be able to do so.

Oh and yeh i meant POWDER.I always get the name of that movie mixed up.Before i made that post i sat here for 5 minutes trying to decide wheather or not it was Power or Powder. :lol:

I know it was a movie, but it was in a more "realistic" setting where as VOY or whatever is more of a "fictional" setting. Had the movie been more ficitional, I could buy him "evovling". It just didn't fit with the tone of the movie. *shrugs*

Well Captain. No one knows everything and it is important to keep and open mind. One day in the future we could have telekinetic abilities. I wouldn't rule it out. You are a ferverant proposer of time travel and it doesnt currently exist. How can you have such an open mind about something like that but not in something more simple like our sensory abilities developing further? I will leave it up to future science to lead the way

I think, like the oceans, the human mind is a vastly unknown space. It may be small on the outside, but when you consider all it can do and how complex it is, it would be arrogance to assume that we know all there is to know about it.

And to return to my original question, what i meant was: how come Star Trek, as a science fiction medioum, chose not to use telepathic abilities amongst humans? I KNOW that they don't exist now, but in the Star Trek Universe, anything is possible....

note: some spoilers.

Well Q seemed concerned that humans would one day evolve into something more powerful than a Q in one episode... so according to him, we will surely be telepathic at one point in our evolution. But maybe Q is wrong. After all we did see Tom Paris live out the evolution of the human species after his warp 10 flight and he was never telepathic or omnipotent.

Well Captain. No one knows everything and it is important to keep and open mind. One day in the future we could have telekinetic abilities. I wouldn't rule it out. You are a ferverant proposer of time travel and it doesnt currently exist. How can you have such an open mind about something like that but not in something more simple like our sensory abilities developing further? I will leave it up to future science to lead the way

I think, like the oceans, the human mind is a vastly unknown space. It may be small on the outside, but when you consider all it can do and how complex it is, it would be arrogance to assume that we know all there is to know about it.

And to return to my original question, what i meant was: how come Star Trek, as a science fiction medioum, chose not to use telepathic abilities amongst humans? I KNOW that they don't exist now, but in the Star Trek Universe, anything is possible....

I don't believe in Human tellepathy, becuase I see it as being demonic and satanic. This is why I think that the Human mind "advancing" would be impossible, aside from death. I could explain my reasons, but that'd be a long post. :look:

While I do think the mind is capable of great things, I don't believe in evolution nor "mind power". If we had these "abillities", I think we would have uncovered them by now.

I believe that we should not speculate the things that we do not know, CJLP, you do have your believes and other people have their believes. What makes people have hatred in this world is the disbelieve in others and controdictions, if we accept people for who they truly are and not make speculations then we will live in a better world. I am a Christian, and believe that humans do not have the ability of being telepathic, but my mind would still be open to the fact that evolution can still happen. I never read in the bible where evolution was false, many people say that it was used to contridict Creation, but God has created a wonderful world to where animals, plants, and humans learn to adapt to their natural surroundings, we also have people with great genious. If many people want to know my true opinion, which obviously I am not making quite clear, I just think that we should wait and see the development of humans, our world, and the universe.

In response to the original post, I believe that there are no human telepaths because it makes us more powerful than we truly are, yes over time we learn how to adapt to changes of this world with the encounter of beings stronger than us, but if Star Trek created human telepaths then it changes what humans truly are, simple-minded. Remeber in all those classic sci-fi films humans were alyways the ones that have lower intellegence, if we suddenly are telepathic doesnt that make us be a little alinged with the aliens?

:look:

Not being telepathic doesn't make us simple-minded. Dunno how you concluded that. :look: However, I mostly agree with what you said.

As a Christian, I don't think God created species on Earth to "evolve". Adapt, yes, but evolve? Don't believe so. Plus, if God intended us to be telepaths, I think we would have discovered that ability as it would be like using your arm, not solving an equastion - it'd be natural.

In conclussion, I don't believe in evolution and I don't believe in "power of the mind", but I do believe our mind can process, analyze, and so forth, far beyond what we can do today.

It seems we are already capable of communicating rudimentary thoughts - even now people are controlling simple computer actions through electrodes receiving signals from their brain. By so doing they can experience artificial sight and control mechanical limbs among other developments. It seems the ability to communicate is limited by a source capable of interpreting the incoming signal.

Other humans are trained to control their mental functions such as those who can control their heartbeat or that use biofeedback for migraines. I suppose that if any human is capable then most of us are...but who wants to spend the time.

If thoughts are electro chemical in nature then would physical contact be necessary to telepathy?

I believe that we should not speculate the things that we do not know, CJLP, you do have your believes and other people have their believes. What makes people have hatred in this world is the disbelieve in others and controdictions, if we accept people for who they truly are and not make speculations then we will live in a better world. I am a Christian, and believe that humans do not have the ability of being telepathic, but my mind would still be open to the fact that evolution can still happen. I never read in the bible where evolution was false, many people say that it was used to contridict Creation, but God has created a wonderful world to where animals, plants, and humans learn to adapt to their natural surroundings, we also have people with great genious. If many people want to know my true opinion, which obviously I am not making quite clear, I just think that we should wait and see the development of humans, our world, and the universe.

In response to the original post, I believe that there are no human telepaths because it makes us more powerful than we truly are, yes over time we learn how to adapt to changes of this world with the encounter of beings stronger than us, but if Star Trek created human telepaths then it changes what humans truly are, simple-minded. Remeber in all those classic sci-fi films humans were alyways the ones that have lower intellegence, if we suddenly are telepathic doesnt that make us be a little alinged with the aliens?

;)

Stardate:213595.9

VERY WELL PUT Syperphobia. :unsure:

I watched a very interesting chat show last night where they had a pair of twins. One could feel what the other was feling in different rooms. They hooked one up to a polygraph and made the other touch ice and stuff in a different room and be surprised by things. And the other reacted every time! Scientific and true.

How you could construe all of this as being demonic and satanic is pure drivel. In that case is Lwaxana Troi a devil worshipper? Was Illea a deciple od Satan. Hmff. Nonsense. I know that we all have our beliefs, and i am respectful of most. But i KNOW that some are just downright silly. Shall we descend to the depths of the Salan Witch Hunts again.....

As i stated, no one knows anything, and everything is possible.

I watched a very interesting chat show last night where they had a pair of twins. One could feel what the other was feling in different rooms. They hooked one up to a polygraph and made the other touch ice and stuff in a different room and be surprised by things. And the other reacted every time! Scientific and true.

How you could construe all of this as being demonic and satanic is pure drivel. In that case is Lwaxana Troi a devil worshipper? Was Illea a deciple od Satan. Hmff. Nonsense. I know that we all have our beliefs, and i am respectful of most. But i KNOW that some are just downright silly. Shall we descend to the depths of the Salan Witch Hunts again.....

As i stated, no one knows anything, and everything is possible.

Twins always have been known to share some sort of 'link', but I believe that this is more emotional than telepathic. I have even known that when two strong people share a bond they know when something is wrong with them in life threating situations almost instantly.

By the way CJLP, when I mean simple-minded, I mean that we are not as advanced to use such a power... not sure if we would be able to handle the great responsibility. Maybe this is why God hasn't allowed us to be telepaths because of the hate we already have for human beings, telepathy would just be turned into the movie Minority Report.

Human Telepaths vs. Non-Telepaths (thought-crimes)

Also, as I said I am a Christian, but unsure if being a telepath is not demonic. We should not speculate until we fully know, making generalizations and speculations only brings in hate in the world. Would you, CJLP, still be friends if he/she claims to be a telepath? If you said no, then you are not such an open person to accept changes in the world. I am glad you have strong convcitions though.

:unsure: Bel Ami ;)