Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Tasha Yar - a great loss?

I thought that Tasha Yar was an interesting character with great development potential. She wasn't from any great family like Spock and Troy. She had a hard edge yet was kind. I liked her and wish that she had've stayed. :lol:

I liked Tasha a lot. It's too bad that she was only around for the first season (around all the time that is). I watched Yesterdays Enterprise again the other day and she really is a great character. In a way though it's probably just as well that she died because I don't think Worf made a great security officer. It just looked kinda funny having this big tall Klingon leaning back in that nice little chair at the front of the bridge. That chair fit Data much better I think.

I thought that Tasha Yar was an interesting character with great development potential. She wasn't from any great family like Spock and Troy. She had a hard edge yet was kind. I liked her and wish that she had've stayed. :lol:

HAHAHA u consider the Troi's a great family.. please NOOOOO

lol

Tasha was a great character.. i wish she had stayed she had potential.....

I have mixed feelings about this. Tasha wasn't one of my favourite characters but it is hard to think what would have been done with the character had she stayed. The others all grew and developed so much throughout the series that it is hard to compare Tasha to any of them. I don't think Tasha was a great loss. A great loss is when a major character leaves and the series never recovers and as we know TNG just kept getting better and better.

I liked Denise Crosby better as Sela than Tasha. I'll never understand why she left the series. It is hard to imagine how much you can grow as an actress doing episodes of Red Shoe Diaries as compared to TNG.

She was a good character, not the greatest and definately not my favorite, but, she definately had some very strong points to her. I think if she had stayed at least part of the second season, Denise may have changed her mind about leaving. I am sure there would have been more for her to do.

I liked her character for the percentage of women her character represented, Raped, Beaten, and Disserted. I thought a lot of good could have been done with her giving a voice to women, which these things have happened to but alas it did not come to fruition.

Perhaps another character of the same kind of background can someday be created again on Trek and all of the missed opportunity for addressing these issues will get another shot, when the time is better.

I was sorry to see Tasha go too. But the show seemed to do pretty well without her.

I have mixed feelings about this. Tasha wasn't one of my favourite characters but it is hard to think what would have been done with the character had she stayed. The others all grew and developed so much throughout the series that it is hard to compare Tasha to any of them. I don't think Tasha was a great loss. A great loss is when a major character leaves and the series never recovers and as we know TNG just kept getting better and better.

I liked Denise Crosby better as Sela than Tasha. I'll never understand why she left the series. It is hard to imagine how much you can grow as an actress doing episodes of Red Shoe Diaries as compared to TNG.

You mean like Data! :lol: (ok, I'm sorry about that...back to the topic)

I quite liked Tasha, most of the time. I think if she had stayed she also would have grown and developed and become as good a character as (almost) any of them. The way things were, though, I think things turned out ok (for...MOST people).

I also ahve a question: in the episode symbiosis, did anyone else get the impression that Tasha used to do drugs, when she was explaining to wesley why they were bad and she got very detailed, and Data kept making these "ok then..." and "I wonder..." faces, if you know what I mean...?

I also ahve a question: in the episode symbiosis, did anyone else get the impression that Tasha used to do drugs, when she was explaining to wesley why they were bad and she got very detailed, and Data kept making these "ok then..." and "I wonder..." faces, if you know what I mean...?

She did seem to sound like she was talking from experience didn't she. I don't think she would have survived her childhood though if she had been addicted. She was looking after her little sister and having to protect both of them from all of the violence on their world. She probably saw a lot of addiction around her though.

That's true...I never actually thought of it that way. but it DID sound like they were trying to make a point...

I saw that too and wondered about Data's expression. But the chat Tasha had with Wesley was one of the few times i did not get annoyed at the kid.

Actually, and I know it is NOT canon, but in the TNG novel Survivors, Tasha admits that she was briefly a drug addict before she was rescued. But, I don't think that was ever mentioned in the series. I'd like to think that she wasn't into the drug thing, and that she speaks from the fact that she saw SO many people on her homeworld that WERE addicted.

And yes, I did notice Data's expressions , too.

hehe, excellent signature, lessa.

Anyways, I did like Tasha in Hide and Q (and of course Yesterday's enterprise, but that's a given). I thought Denise Crosby acted very well in those and the character we all asume Tasha to be came shining through.

Still not sure about the drug thing...

Oh yes, I completely forgot - has anyone noticed how many times Tasha sayd "hailing frequencies open"? Her death was a great tradgedy - they had to find someone else to say that!!! (I think I'm going to watch the entire first season and count exactly how many times she said that. Then I'm going to cound exactly how many of her lines werent' that - I bet I could do it on one hand)

Sad that she only had that as a main line, and yes it DOES seem you can count her lines on one hand at most. I am sure she had a larger vocabulary than that. And she was the tactical officer, not the Enterprise's SECRETARY! Jeez, she should have gotten lines closer to Worf's, well except for all the Klingon stuff of course!

Agreed. you know, what they could have done was promote her (naa, TRANSFER her) and make Worf security (he WAS suited for the job). THat way they could haave had both. Oh well, it worked out ok.

Yes I agree, transfer her instead of KILL her!

Hmm...sounds like what I said about a certain person in a certain 2002 movie....

Anyway, she could have still been in security, but maybe not at Tactical. She could have still been Head of Security and not been at Tactical (Well, maybe not...)

I'm sure if they wanted to, they could find a position for her (or invent one!)...or she could be helmsman as that person changed every week. Or hour, more like it (where do those people go??). And I dont see why they had to remove Data at all. Brent was NOT getting too old, and if this was the last movie, it wouldn't really matter anyway, would it?!

I'm sure if they wanted to, they could find a position for her (or invent one!)...or she could be helmsman as that person changed every week. Or hour, more like it (where do those people go??). And I dont see why they had to remove Data at all. Brent was NOT getting too old, and if this was the last movie, it wouldn't really matter anyway, would it?!

Yes I like the invent a post for Tasha, that probably would have worked.

And as for Data, he didn't need to die..Maybe they could have let him end up like in the Q Future, a Physics Professor.

I just don't see the need to go killing people that everyone likes, OK or in the case of Tasha that most people were neutral to.

I know that they were trying to make an emotional impact, but please, not for the last movie! and also, aren't there OTHER ways for an emotional impact. And I would have prefered NO emotional impact whatsoever then what actually happened.

I know that they were trying to make an emotional impact, but please, not for the last movie! and also, aren't there OTHER ways for an emotional impact. And I would have prefered NO emotional impact whatsoever then what actually happened.

If you are refering to Data in your last post...Then yes, I agree with you!!

People dying makes for EXCELLANT drama though. Especially when it's a main character that we have formed a bond with. People would realistically statistically die in Star Fleet. It adds a hardened edge to the show: highlights the dangers of Star Fleet. Spock, Tasha, Dax and Data. All these deaths provoke great emotional reactions. Good drama. And as this is Star Trek, you can freely kill them as there'll always be an alternate time line, holodeck simulation or genetic reconstruction that will bring them back. Deaths are essential to any drama series as deaths happen every day in the real world. To exclude them would be to leave out an important part of the human condition which Star Trek explores in such depth. That my friends, is why characters must be killed from time to time. No one lives forever...

I have to agree with prometheus on this. I loved Data (as well as Tasha and Dax), but as to quote every Starfleet captian at one time or another "they knew the risks when they joined Starfleet". They are put in dangerous siturations every week and it's just a matter of time before the dice roll against them. In a way that's one of the things that I think is lacking from Enterprise and somewhat with Voyager also. Remember back in TOS and TNG how "red shirts" would get killed every week? Whens the last time someone died on the NX-01?

Sorry, I know I'm getting a little off subject...

Not really off the subject, Tank. You make a good point. I know that the "Red shirt" thing got to be a big joke back then, but it was a new frontier and their were and are risks involved. Now, keeping the peace comes with a price tag (Just like it does in real life)

Tasha was in one of the high risk areas, so it really does make sense that she got killed, but it was too bad that it was so....meaningless.

Not really off the subject, Tank. You make a good point. I know that the "Red shirt" thing got to be a big joke back then, but it was a new frontier and their were and are risks involved. Now, keeping the peace comes with a price tag (Just like it does in real life)

Tasha was in one of the high risk areas, so it really does make sense that she got killed, but it was too bad that it was so....meaningless.

Agreed although not as many red shirts were killed in TNG compared to the security people. It was pretty safe to be a red shirt at the helm in TNG compared to TOS.

I thought that was so funny in John Logan's script for Nemesis that it was the red shirted helmsmen that got blown (not sucked) into space (not that it is funny that someone died of course).

That's true about the red shirt stuff....and not going too off topic here but I was watching a collegiate gymnastics competition on TV and they said...."that a Senior from this one school was "Red Shirted" because of her shoulder & knee injury." I thought it was amusing that that term has entered into so many different areas.

About people getting killed in their jobs, I know it is a risk, especially in Security....but Tasha's death really served no purpose, except that it was the only way to make it so Denise Crosby could bow out as Tasha. As well as a ratings boost, not that TNG needed help in THAT are at all, even in its first two seasons. As for Data, that was also mentioned as a way out of a situation the writers wrote themselves into ("Wrote themselves into a corner", they said), thus his death was not necessary. As for the helmsman in Nemesis......you could see that was gonna happen a mile away. Now HOW he was killed was not expected, but still he was a red shirt. As for Dax, now I don't watch DS9 so I cannot in fairness be the judge of her death..

If you are refering to Data in your last post...Then yes, I agree with you!!

Ya, I was talking about him.

Lol about red shirted! That's great :bow:

Don't get me started on Nemesis (there's emotional impact and there's pissing the fans off gosh darn it!)

I felt really bad when Dax died. She was one of my favourite characters in DS9 (so no, I didn't have a fit as when Data died)(poor Worf - as Michael Dorn said: "it's hard to find women to play Wof's wives because htey always seem to die horrible paonful deaths". Poor Worf)

Yeah, and in the Alt future of TNG, even Deanna died. Poor Worf, to know him and love him is to start seeing your life slip away...

Maybe Tasha should have had Worf not stand so close to her at tactical...just a thought.

I thought it was VERY sad when Dax died.

but Tasha's death really served no purpose, except that it was the only way to make it so Denise Crosby could bow out as Tasha. As well as a ratings boost,

As for Data, that was also mentioned as a way out of a situation the writers wrote themselves into ("Wrote themselves into a corner", they said), thus his death was not necessary.

I would disagree that these deaths served no purpose and were not necessary. Yes, Tasha's death was pointless in that nothing was really gained for the crew by it. But then, aren't deaths like that common in day to day life anyway? I mean, we dont always die for a cause. I could, heaven forbid, get hit by a bus tomorrow: that's life! This adds more realism to the show. I would be dissappointed if everyone died to save the universe or kill an evil nemesis or what have you. The overall effect given to the Star Trek Universe was a sense of realism and danger. You could die out there in space at any moment. Bit of a chill factor. As for Data dying, sure. They could have kept him on. But why bother? Since this is the movie series then can use as many dramatic plot devices as they want to keep up that level of interest, without any major repurcussions. I mean, they have B4 to take over, so why not kill him? What have they got to lose? No. We must accept death in all its forms and not argue against it. If it happens, it happens. For without such deaths, as I have already said, a great part of life will be missing from Star Trek. (The Great Philosopher LOL )