Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

What are you doing to make the world a better place?

I like to think that what I've done in uniform has helped. I mean, I'm not the guy out there actively hunting terrorists, and I'm not driving a police car around trying to keep the nieghborhood clean, but I do think my small 8-month contribution helped a bit. I'm also trying to raise my children to be smart, responsible people, who in the end will know at least right from wrong, and how to be accountable for their actions. I'm not exactly curing cancer, but I do give money to St. Jude. My name may not go down in the history books as the greatest humanitarian ever, but I hope what little bit I could do will be part of a greater good.

I chose as a first career to go into teaching. My mother, her sister, and a number of other relatives have been teachers, or school administrators. Imo, the teaching profession is a great way to give back to society by helping to educate children. Unfortunately I was not able to find a full time position where I lived, and was mainly substitute teaching and working as a teacher's aide. While these jobs were imo worthwhile jobs that were of value to society, they're not valued enough to pay much. I decided to change careers and get a degree to become a librarian, which also used my background as a teacher. Imo as a public librarian working with children, I am able to try to make the world a slightly better place by helping those who come into the library find the information and the materials they want and need. The literacy aspect of being a librarian is important imo in a world where the ability to read is a steping stone to success. I am actively involved in doing story hours and lots of children's programming.

I also have a soft spot for animals and recently rescued some abandoned newborn kittens which I turned over to an agency that will raise them, spay and neuter them and put them up for adoption to good homes. A small thing but it made me feel good and means there will be 4 less alley cats in our neighborhood.

I will never change the world but I hope that by being involed in education related professions that I can help children, parents and adults improve their lives a bit and perhaps improve my small corner of the world just a tiny bit.

Edited by trekz

My job is to ensure everyone has bacteria free water :borg2:

Plus whenever I go to shops I always put my change in the charity boxes :laugh:

And occassionally sponser peoples charity raising things..

Preaching the gospel of salvation in Christ.

There's no higher calling for me. :laugh:

I make the world a better place by continuously expanding my business empire so that I can provide more jobs for people........ :laugh:

I am serving in the Navy. I do volunteer projects with past and current commands.

Teaching math to a confused clientele which thinks it hates or does not need math is part of my calling to make the world better.

There have been some interesting examples. One thing I think some people have a problem with is not feeling their "job" is "worthwhile". I often tell myself that not everyone can be a medical professional, teacher etc. someone has to keep commerce going - people have to eat, have homes to live in etc.

But I've been giving some thought to this in the last few years. So, as some of you know, I volunteer as a literacy tutor - I strongly believe in the importance of reading. Although I will say that I feel we need to put more effort into early intervention rather than let children get so far in school without being able to read. For those of you that may have missed it - a couple of years ago a government funded study announced they had discovered a correlation between reading and school performance - kids that couldn't read didn't do as well in school. (I'm not joking - your tax dollars at work)

Another thing that bothers me is that Americans are consumers rather than producers so I've decided to try to live a little healthier and I'm trying to simplify my life. I can't make a full time commitment to being a vegetarian but I have been working at only eating meat on the weekends. What you may ask does that have to do with making the world a better place. Well, if we all emphasized more locally grown, plant based foods in our diet we'd reduce our fuel demand and produce less pollutants and we'd all be healthier. :tribble:

I eat whatevers infront on me, but I go for the high protein/fat foods first because I'm trying to put on weight, your body stores carbon, if America went on a diet, millions of tons of carbon would be released into the environment :tribble:

Can't win.

I Volunteer at the hospital and when I see Trash I pick it up I hate people who litter.

I was looking at voluntering at a hospital once, but I need money just to live, and people working in hospitals in NW England are abused frequently :assimilated:

If I picked up 'trash' (love that word :bow: ) every time I saw some I'd never be doing anything else.