Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Star Trek vs. Stargate

Greetings, all! :o

Since SG-1 is very popular among Trek fans, I thought we could have a little fun comparring similarities and contrasts between the 2 franchises. :biggrin:

I'll start us off:

Worf / Teal'c

Enterprise / Stargate

Phasers / Zat Guns

"Enterprise" shoulder patch / SG-1 shoulder patch

Starfleet / Air Force

Deep Space Nine / Stargate Command

You can do more than list, as this is intended to be a discussion, but I just wanted to show some similarities. heh

Also, is it just me, or are the Goa'uld cargo ships shaped an aweful lot like the Delta Flyer?

i would have to say that there are many similarities. you do hear comments in SG-1 about star trek which i think is cool. i just think stargate doesnt try sssooo hard like ENTERPRISE to be entertaining, and original. where as i love both, i think stargate flows much more easily. and i think oneil, richard dean anderson, has the perfect blend of sarcastic, whitty humor. combined with the perfect support in the rest of the cast. plus i think the mass appeal has to be helped by the fact that as much as it is sci-fi, it still feels earthy due to the planets they visit every week, instead of being in space all the time. i love either way, but for less sci-fi enthusiasts i think that helps. i know people that really dont like sci-fi, that like this show. :wow:

Whenever Teal'c says 'indeed,' it reminds me of Spock. :wow:

I think Star Gate sucks. It looks low budet and the acting is predictable and cheesey. Most weeks it is the 4 of them, going through a big hoop and saving an entire planet of six people from some sort of tyranny. In a forest! McGyver and the big black poe faced one with the dish on his head are by far the worst. Star Trek had a bigger more complex universe. Politics, conflicts and variety. It is by far superior and i cant bring myself to compare it to the Egyptian based non sense.

Ok, that Post just Proved that you've actually Watched it, just glanced at some episodes.

The Show Isn't That Simple, they do have missions like that, yes, but it's not a week after week thing.

Before I started watching it, I actually thought I wouldn't like it.

I used to think just the same thing you did, until I actually saw enough episodes to see that it was much more than that.

Even in Season 1, they started Story Arcs

But anyways, Peace :wow:

I actually dont like it. Ive seen quite a bit of it because it is on here (Ireland/UK) every day from 6 - 7pm between Voyager and the Simpsons. It is usually the time I tidy up and cook my dinner etc for the evening. But I keep an eye on it.

Getting back to the original topic...

The Stargate / The ring device in "City on the Edge of Forever"

Getting back to the original topic...

The Stargate / The ring device in "City on the Edge of Forever"

Thanks for getting back to the topic at hand, Lt. Riann!!

Just from the standpoint of episode names, I found three in SG-1's first season alone that were the same as Star Trek episodes:

Bloodlines (TNG episode)

Singularity (Enterprise episode)

Tin Man (TNG episode)

I know there is more, I'm just not as familiar with SG-1 as I am with Star Trek. :wow:

I just thought of this one:

Enemy Mine (SG1 season 7) / Dawn (ENT season 2)

The aliens in both are reptilian creatures.

Dawn has similarities to Enemy Mine the movie.

Pretty much all SciFi is going to have some similarities - circular portals will look similar because they're round.

I don't remember episodes too much by title but there was a SG episode with Dwight Schultz that was a pretty shameless ripoff of a VOY episode - where Harry and B'Elanna were trapped in the cyberworld controlled by a clown.

SG ++'s

Stargate does a better job of representing women.

Stargate has a civilian scientist who always argues an alternate theory

For that matter SG has scientists that are actually interested in science

SG has humor

SG is on right now

I have a feeling that although SG-1 and ST:DS9 has similiarties, they were not ment to have any relation. Every science fiction show seems to have a major cast with at least one ailen species, a leader, and a woman which everyone goes ga, ga, over. SG-1 is a setting all on its own, and DS9 also has major differences as well.....

:look: Bel Ami :lol: