Sign in to follow this  
MANVERU

Worf's Sash

What purpose does it serve?

I believe the only likely answer is that it distinguishes Worf as an Ambassador.

I can't honestly beleive he has it PURELY to tell if he's a Klingon or not, because one look at his head will give u that answer.

Another thought is that Worf is in fact reckognised as a Warrior in the Klingon Empire, and there for wears Klingon Ranks and badges on his Sash. I have seen his decorations on his Sash change over time which might confirm this possibility.

Does anyone know for sure?

Looking around the web I came across an interview with Michael Dorn where he is asked about the sash. His reply was that the original sash, according to the writers, was considered to be a family heirloom.

I wonder how Worf would have come by this sash, unless it was with him, when he was rescued after the massacre.

As far as the later, different sash's, I have no idea.

The sash was a badge not of military rank, but of his place as a son of the house of Maug.

Years after Worf's tour on the Enterprise D, Worf was assigned as first officer on the Klingon bird of prey Rotarran (DSN "Soldiers of the Empire") and told Jadzia that he decided not to wear the sash as part of his Klingon uniform because, by that time, the house of Maug had been offically desolved due to Worf's stance on the Klingon/Cardasssian conflict.

However, at the end of the same episode Worf was given membership in the house of Martok and there after wore that emblem on his sash.

A baldric is a wide, usually ornamental belt worn around the waist and over one shoulder that is typically used to carry weapons (such as swords). Baldrics are well-suited toward carrying larger weapons of this nature due to the support system offered by its unique design. The word baldric can also refer to any belt in general, but this usage is less popular.

Historically, baldrics were used to confer the rank of the one wearing it. They are still used to this day, but typically only with formal military wear.

I always thought it was cause he had won a beauty pagent

J/k

I'm kinda surprised the empire wouldn't strip Worf of his baldric, as part of his discommendation from the empire.

In the episode Sins of the Father at the beginning of the tribunal (or whatever it was called) Duras hit Worf and pulled off the baldric saying that Worf didn't deserve to wear it. Worf had it on later during scenes on the Enterprise but did not wear it during any scenes on Qo'noS after Duras removed it.

I don't know if this means anything but in the episode Reunion when Worf beamed over to Duras' ship after K'Ehleyr was killed he removed the baldric before leaving his quarters with his bat'leth. Whether he removed because he was going on a Klingon ship or not I don't know.

^I guess for the same reason they let Deanna tool around the Enterprise in civilian clothing!

Did they let Ro Laren keep her Bajoran earring to respect her religion, even though she was wearing it in the wrong ear?

Perhaps Worf is allowed to wear his sash out of respect to his culture. It is hard to say whether this is true or not, because he is the only full-blooded Klingon in Starfleet that we see.

Deanna got a uniform at some point... Didn't that happen when she actually became an officer? I thought that was briefly noted somewhere along the way.

Ah well, I'd let a Klingon wear what he wanted to wear, personally! :assimilated:

When Ro first beamed up to the Enterprise Riker made her remove the earring because it wasn't part of the regulation uniform. It wasn't until the end of the episode Ensign Ro that she put the earring back on after talking to Picard.

With Worf, I think it was just a way to connect the Klingons of TOS with TNG.

Edited by Takara_Soong

Good point!

(As an aside, I'm actually from Canada, too--just living in the US for school at the moment. So, hello!) :welcome:

Well whatever the reasons I found it interesting how the Sash changed over the course of the 7 year run of the series (didn't really have it on anymore by the time of the 4 films did he?)

Quapla

Edited by Alterego

I think Worf's sash,It means he is a true Klingon Breed,

Or it is he's Family heirloom,Yikes!! :wow:

his sash means two things....

his current rank, and family home. if you notice in TNG and DS9 it changes a bit over the years. even when martok invited him to oin his house even the house of mogh couldn't be re-built with the dishonor of both the kilngon empire and himself. there was a final picture of worf on a book cover an i can't remember the name of the book, but it shows ambassador status and not what he was while in starfleet.

Why would Star Fleet allow him to wear something that is obviously not part of the Starfleet Uniform? I think it was just to look cool for the show.....

:hug:

his sash means two things....

his current rank, and family home. if you notice in TNG and DS9 it changes a bit over the years. even when martok invited him to oin his house even the house of mogh couldn't be re-built with the dishonor of both the kilngon empire and himself. there was a final picture of worf on a book cover an i can't remember the name of the book, but it shows ambassador status and not what he was while in starfleet.

because like any bajoran starfleet officer, they had to respect his beliefs.

That doesn't quite fit, considering when we first see ensign Ro, Riker makes her take her ear-ring off.