Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Naming Children?

I share my ...father's (if that's what you want to call him) middle name. I dislike him, therefore I don't like the name either. That's one reason I don't really like the idea of naming your kid after yourself. Let them form their own identity and not have that connection, good or bad, hanging over them all the time.

Frank Jr. on friends named one of his son's Frank Jr, Jr. I personally think it's abuse to the kid.

'Hello, Jnr Jnr Jnr' :assimilated:

I have done some genealogy in the past and sometimes recurring name patterns can be great clues or indicators of family connections. My first name is my father's Middle name which was the name of his favorite uncle. My middle name is the traditional first name of my mother's paternal line. I view it as a continuation of a family connection and a bow to ancestors that came before me.

I also tend to favor family traditions.

I am a jr and my son is a Third, I think is great and I also think it is unigue. As for being independent and your own person, I was so much my own that it was my father that wished he had named me something different. As for John, I think of John the Baptist.

Everyone in my family (except for my father and me) has a Biblical name (you know, Joseph's, Sarah's, Joshua's, Michael's, etc).

I am a Jr, which has never sat well with my oldest brother who thinks my dad should have made him the "Jr"....but at the time,my dad said he didn't want a jr.It was not until he was in his mid-40s and I came along that he changed his mind.

I'm not much for naming children after parents, but naming them after other family members is okay. My mother named me after after my uncle.

Actually, in my family we use the middle name. My father has the middle name Weiss. That's also my second middle name. It's also my son's second middle name. Hopefully, it'll be his son's middle name as well. Assuming he has a son, that is.

:lol: I wanna have two girls and name them Jadzia and Ezri

58311[/snapback]

Would your spouse have agreed?

I would love to name my kid.. either "Walter III (techincally, my grandpa's name being walter, im Walter II) or named after my brother... possibly Angel or Amy, if it was a girl.