Sign in to follow this  
morbius

Could War with the Dominion have been avoided?

If we look at the events from First Contact with the Dominion right up to the beginning of the war, do you think there was something the Federation could have done differently that could have prevented war? I don't think so coz in the Search pt 2 the female shape shifter makes it clear that the aim of the Dominion is to impose order on a chaotic universe and to control all the solids. Because the Domionion had a very strange conception that their security needs could be best fulfilled through subgiation of others rather than through peaceful, friendly relations amongst equals. At the end of the ep we see that the only way for peace with the dominion was if the Feds conceeded practically everything. Obviously the Feds would never agree to that, which is why I think war with the Dominion was probably inevitable from day 1.

Sometimes, that's how things go. War sometimes cannot be avoided. I mean, yeah, there's diplomacy, but Diplomacy only goes so far. One side wants these concessions, and the other just won't make them, because it might cost too much, Or sometimes one side wants to work things out diplomatically, and the other just won't have any of it. The Dominion war was a case of the former, where, to avoid war, the Federation would have had to sacrifice too much. The Dominion is a group of conquerers anyways, so they probably prefered going to war from the outset, which would be why they wanted soo much in concessions to keep the peace.

War was inevitable because the Founders didn't consider solids to be superior life-forms. A good example in our time is the Religious Islam fanatics. They don't take Westerners seriously because we are infidels because we don't believe in the Islamic faith. They consider us a lower life-form.

War was always the Founders intention. Odo was sent out sort of as a "living probe" to learn about the other races.

It's hinted in "The Jem'Hadar" that the Dominion has been keeping tabs on the Alpha Quadrant in preparation for a future war.

Avoid it, No Like everyone said the Founders want to bring order to the galaxy. Delay it, possibly but only buy collapsing the Wormhole which the Bajorans would not of allowed, even then it would only be delayed for a few 100 years while the Dominion take the long route to the Alpha Quadrant.

Well yes, the war could have been avoided, and I just thought of this. In the episode "The Assignment", a pah-wraith possesses Keiko O'Brien and, by threatening her and Molly, tries to force Miles to collapse the wormhole. Starfleet wouldn't have approved, and of course the Bajorans would have been pretty mad, but it would have avoided a war with the Dominion.

It would be MUCH longer than 200 years - the Dominion wouldn't set a direct course for Earth if the Wormhole were collapsed. They would, rather, expand outward. They couldn't send a massive fleet to Earth because Jem'hadar soldiers only live 15-20 years, there would be no way. And then to maintain order between the Founders in the GQ and the Dominion installations in the AQ - it just wouldn't work. No, I think the Wormhole is really the Founders' key to the AQ.

(I think the Bajorans should have suggested collapsing the Wormhole - if their Prophets really are so immortal and all-powerful, collapsing or at least permanently sealing the Wormhole shouldn't cut them off - the Prophets would somehow find a way to look over Bajor.)

War is inevitable if one side is determined to have a war. Neville Chamberlain (sp) could not dissuade Hiltler.

The Dominion would have found a way to go to war,with or without the wormhole.

MJ, that is a great analogy. Neville Chamberlain tried to prevent a war, but Hitler wasn't interested. The Founders might have accepted the concessions if the Federation had agreed, but they would have probably started a war anyways, because they wanted the whole damned thing.

Starfleet could've been like, "Dude, we can deal with the Borg. What makes you think that you even have a chance?"

The Dominion would've run.

;) (J/K)

Edited by WishfireOmega

if the borg ever found a way to get the gamma quadrant, you know the federation wouldn't even have a chance. not to mention there would be a truce between the dominon and the federation to take out the borg, but at the same time, just as they get the upper hand, the dominon would take the advantage to destroy the reamaining federation fleet. vis a vis last episode of DS9.

If we look at the events from First Contact with the Dominion right up to the beginning of the war, do you think there was something the Federation could have done differently that could have prevented war? I don't think so coz in the Search pt 2 the female shape shifter makes it clear that the aim of the Dominion is to impose order on a chaotic universe and to control all the solids. Because the Domionion had a very strange conception that their security needs could be best fulfilled through subgiation of others rather than through peaceful, friendly relations amongst equals. At the end of the ep we see that the only way for peace with the dominion was if the Feds conceeded practically everything. Obviously the Feds would never agree to that, which is why I think war with the Dominion was probably inevitable from day 1.

i agree sometimes the only way to peace is to have a war. :P

true, but you also have to understand, no matter how hard the federation tried to avoid war, the dominon finally just said "how about we give you the finger, and we demand your surrender"

Hehe I agree with ARMS, the Dominion War made for the best Trek series! Anyhow, I don't think there's any way the war could have been avoided, short of unconditional surrender or collapsing the wormhole. Obviously surrender was not an option, and collapsing the wormhole had the potential to damage relations with Bajor, not to mention that the stability in the Alpha Quadrant after the war would never have come about.

well, technacally, stability would only last until either the kilngon empire or the federation were 100% after the war. like sloan said, it'll take 10 years or so for the klingon empire to get back on it's feet and rebuild (you can thank gowron for that bit) and i said that because he went to war with the federation and the cardassion union.

and the federation would be back on it's feet within 3 to 5 years after the war (around the time voyager gets back) mainly because it didn't lose as many ships when it was part of the alliance. the only way for things to be stable in th quadrant was to not only create more outposts, but also station ships at those outposts so if anything were to happen, we'd be better prepared.

*kidnaps ezri and takes the dax symboit and transports to a secret location*

Sounds like fun .... now what twin has the symboit and the one that does not.

It may have been avoidable had the Alpha Quadrant waited and gathered information on the Gamma Quadrant before foolishly and recklessly establishing colonies like "New Bajor" which was cited by the Jem Hadar as a provocation. Before the colony was established the Ferengi were able to deal with Dominion allies such as the Dosi relatively peacefully. Granted, the Dominion may have reacted too extremely to the colony, but still it was a massive mistake to set one up before everything was known about who considered that space their territory.

It may have been avoidable had the Alpha Quadrant waited and gathered information on the Gamma Quadrant before foolishly and recklessly establishing colonies like "New Bajor" which was cited by the Jem Hadar as a provocation. Before the colony was established the Ferengi were able to deal with Dominion allies such as the Dosi relatively peacefully. Granted, the Dominion may have reacted too extremely to the colony, but still it was a massive mistake to set one up before everything was known about who considered that space their territory.

That is true, but New Bajor like Bajor itself was not a federation member. The federation had a base of operation at DS9, but it was not federation territory. True, the reaction of New Bajor was the reason the Dominion starter their military operation was an over reaction. When the war did start, the attack of New Bajor was not even an issue.