Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Mobils phones and the Borg

Nearly everyone I know has a mobile phone. In their pocket, or in their bag. A lot of people also have walkmans or the now popular iPods, for listening to music. Music comes through headphones, plugged into the ears.

Now. Can you imagine these items of technology evolving any further?

What i mean is, built in phones and walkmans. Telephones built into our brains so that if anyone wants to call us, we hear it in our heads and chose to answer. We could listen to music, downloaded into an implant in our head. Now imagine, that communication could be enhanced so that we could see the person we are talking to in our minds. Built in video cameras to record special events.

I feel that we are coming closer and closer to technology. We carry it around with us and it is evolving and getter smarter and smaller by the day. Integrating it into our bodies could become a comvenience. And before you know it, in a world off mass communication and medis, we could all end up linked to one source of information and the one thought. So that we all know where each other is, what we are doing, and so forth. Just like the Borg.

Interesting idea, but I can tell you one thing. I will NEVER willingly have anything hardwired into my head. (Unless it's to save my life. And then I'd have to think about it.) Look what happened to poor Garak! :(

But you're right - some brainiac will come up with something like that and become the "smartest" guy since...well, since someone figured out people needed their communications ALL the time. (Even in theaters and church - AUGH! SHUT THEM OFF!! :( )

i dont think anybody is gonna try and make a chip for your head. the surgery would cost to much and as ladynarana said, people dont want chips stuck in thier brains. thier just isent a market for it. in the futere we will probably carry a small box about he size of a pencil, it would transfer info to a pair of sunglases that could project the info onto your retna so you could surf the web anywhere. the pencil would also be you cell phone, and you could talk face to face with the other person, all you need to have is and ear insert. we already have this technology, but like cell phones and palm pilotes in thier early stages, they cost to much.

I get digs on being the King! :(

Serriously, I would never let some one put some freak'n implant in my body! :( Not ever!

Oh, almost forgot. They're allready planning on allowing people to "volunteer" to get a "chip" implanted in their skin for tracking purposes as well as informative purposes. If you found a lost kid, scan the chip in his arm, bam, you know who he is. Scarry isn't it?

I get digs on being the King! :(

Serriously, I would never let some one put some freak'n implant in my body! :( Not ever!

Oh, almost forgot.  They're allready planning on allowing people to "volunteer" to get a "chip" implanted in their skin for tracking purposes as well as informative purposes.  If you found a lost kid, scan the chip in his arm, bam, you know who he is.  Scarry isn't it?

I too would never allow anyone to put a chip in my head.

The tracking inplant would serve a useful purpose for locating lost/abducted children, and Alzheimer's patients. But for me, its a little too like being marked with the number of the beast.

What an interesting idea.

What if that's what happened to one species? Maybe that's how the Borg got started. Maybe some race started putting these chips in their heads and became Borg. *shrugs* It's possible.

Especially in the Star Trek universe.

But I have enough voices going on in my head without having to listen to somebody else's! I wouldn't be one to jump at the opportunity. But what you said reminded me of something I read in a book one time. It was Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. People had these things called Seashells, and they were little things that they would stick into their ear and do pretty much everything you described. It was quite interesting. It was a good book.

Stardate:213562.9

Yeh that is the scairy thought.But hey yah never know what they will come up with next as far as technology goes.

Farenheit 451:shivers:I hate that book.We had to read it last year in English.Then we had to watch the movie.:shivers again:Worst movie ever

I think we all have to remember that even if putting chips in our heads sounds freaky to us, think 300 years down the line. I mean. Cound you try explaning the internet to Queen Elizabeth? She might try to burn you as a witch!!!

We are backward compared to our future relations. What I have talked about, could very well come true...

I think a mind-technology interface IF DONE CORRECTLY could be unbelivably beneficial. I think any kind of neural interface would have to be an enhancement of our own brains - NOT a seperate entity we stick in our heads.

We could use this to combine the powers of humanity:

Emotion, creativity, the power to create, etc.

With the powers of machines:

Lightning-fast calculations, unbelivable physical power, super-durabillity

We could combine these traits together we could vastly improve ourselves.

Of course, this technology has serious potential for wrongdoing, and so must be kept in check.

Honestly, the technology we have today pales in comparison with human capabilities - our brains can out match in power even the best supercomputers. (A computer beting someone at chess only proves we cannot fully use 100% of our power in one area) So, for now, there is nothing available, or even in development that would be worth using.

xeroc, isent that what the borg are trying to do? improve themselves with technolgy? i am all for prothetic limbs and life saving implants, but other than that i would never put myself and technolgy in the same body.

Interesting idea, but I can tell you one thing.  I will NEVER willingly have anything hardwired into my head.  (Unless it's to save my life.  And then I'd have to think about it.)  Look what happened to poor Garak! :laugh:

But you're right - some brainiac will come up with something like that and become the "smartest" guy since...well, since someone figured out people needed their communications ALL the time.  (Even in theaters and church - AUGH!  SHUT THEM OFF!! :lol: )

I can't imagine that anyone who is presently living would willingly hardwire something to his brain, but what about a hundred years from now when humans are much more used to technology?

Well, we are already doing things to improve ourselves. Some examples are:

Prosthetic limbs, Pacemakers, Vaccines, Liposuction, Plastic Surgery, Pretty much any Drug, any kind of Surgery, and of course, any type of genetic engneering. In fact, even most technology, while not hardwired into us is improving our lives and ourselves. For example:

Cars allow us to move faster, Cell Phones to communicate rapidly, Computers for all sorts of things. Even something as innocous as a cheese grater or a shoe is improving us in some way.

And, just because you can make yourself better with technology doesn't mean you need to be like the Borg.

I've got no beef with new advanced technology. However, the day we can't run naked into the woods and be 100% natural is the day we become like the Borg. Not saying we should run naked into the woods, :cheese: I'm just using that as an example. :lol: Anywho, if the technology is implanted to keep you alive, I'm all for it. However, if the technology is implanted to enhance our biological selves... um... no! :laugh:

no i mwan i only think we should integrate technolegy and humans when necessary, like pacemakers and prosthetics.as for lipo suction, how about some jogging and push-ups, and eating some salad?

i like running naked in the forest. it is a great past time. (boy scout camp would probably make anybody but the boy scouts throw up.)

:rolleyes:

In the future I could see the technology evolving into such where we can connect devices into our brains, or lhave a hard drive for storage of information.. I can see people going.. Hey sounds like a plan, lets install a combination toaster, Laptop, phone into my brain so I can cook breakfast, check my mail and get messages on the go!.... but please, first. you'd have to figure out a way to get chemicals to trigger the devices, and you will also have a problem due to Virus, and I'm not talking the common cold. Computer virus's.. Imagin downloading some programs or some homework for school and opps.. forgot to run a virus scan... too bad.. Jonny's braindead now... you know what I'm talking about??

:rolleyes:

In the future I could see the technology evolving into such where we can connect devices into our brains, or lhave a hard drive for storage of information.. I can see people going.. Hey sounds like a plan, lets install a combination toaster, Laptop, phone into my brain so I can cook breakfast, check my mail and get messages on the go!.... but please, first. you'd have to figure out a way to get chemicals to trigger the devices, and you will also have a problem due to Virus, and I'm not talking the common cold. Computer virus's.. Imagin downloading some programs or some homework for school and opps.. forgot to run a virus scan... too bad.. Jonny's braindead now... you know what I'm talking about??

Wookie!!!! That is funny, but you have a point there, my dear brother. You would need to refine the capabilities so that chemical processes trigger the devices at the right time. Hate to have the toaster go off when your trying to get a a epic novel written in your head.

But might i just say. In a thousand years time, our technology will be ancient. Like cross bows are to us. Viruses and stuff may no longer exist. We cannot fanthom the technologies of the future. We are incapable....

If you think about it, people are already running around with technology in their bodies. Pacemakers, hearing aid implants, Hip replacement, and even vaccines ina way are a form of technology. But most is for medical purposes which I think is fine. The day people start putting cell phones in their bodies is the day I feel scared for humankind. After all, didn't Kirk say that sometime in our century we almost destroyed ourselves with technology. jk

But might i just say. In a thousand years time, our technology will be ancient. Like cross bows are to us. Viruses and stuff may no longer exist. We cannot fanthom the technologies of the future. We are incapable....

How true, prometheus, how very true.

But cross bows? :lol: :lol: lol, ok, ok So, I know about those(prefer compound bow actually). sorry, lol <_< ....you do have a point there too

And Bolivar...you have some good points too...

If you think about it, people are already running around with technology in their bodies. Pacemakers, hearing aid implants, Hip replacement, and even vaccines ina way are a form of technology. But most is for medical purposes which I think is fine. The day people start putting cell phones in their bodies is the day I feel scared for humankind. After all, didn't Kirk say that sometime in our century we almost destroyed ourselves with technology. jk
I too may be one of those people, if surgery is required on my arm(Over two and a half months after the accident at work I still have problems...muscles and tendons torn and bruised, ect,ect.)