Sign in to follow this  
Data

Unimatrix Zero Part I and II

I just saw the two episodes last night and tonight. I really enjoyed them. Seven is in her regeneration cycle and she has a dream that she is in a forest. The rest of the plot is in the Spoiler. I was wondering how others felt about this episode

Unimatrix Zero, Part I

http://www.startrek.com/library/voy_episod...tail_111631.asp

Seven of Nine awakens from a "nap" in an uneasy state. She Dreamed of a beautiful forest with trees and flowers. In this place people knew her as Annika and she was almost human. Seven is not used to "dreaming" so she is unsettled by the experience.

Paris, thinking he is being reprimanded by the crew for being late, is surprised by being awarded an Officer's Pip. He is then reinstated to Lieutenant by Captain Janeway.

Seven retires again to her alcove wearing the cortical monitor the Doctor gave her and closes her eyes. She finds herself back in the beautiful forest. She tells herself that this is "not real" when suddenly a voice is heard assuring her that it is. It is the voice of Axum, someone she has seen before in this environment. He calls this place Unimatrix Zero.

Axum explains to Seven that Unimatrix Zero is a place where the Drones go during regeneration so they can exist as individuals. The Collective knows about this place but cannot find it. The Drones who visit Unimatrix Zero have the recessive mutation that the Borg Queen is trying to find and destroy.

Axum informs Seven that she used to visit Unimatrix Zero before she escaped the Collective. She too has the recessive mutation that only one in a million Drones has. Axum tells her that the Collective has found a way to detect them, so it is only a matter of time before they find enough of the Drones to isolate the interlink frequency and demolish Unimatrix Zero.

Axum begs Seven for her help, even though she is no longer a part of the Collective. Seven is their only hope because unlike her, after the Drones complete their regeneration they have no memory of Unimatrix Zero.

When Seven awakens she informs the crew of what she encountered. The Doctor confirms that she was not just having a dream, she never reached REM, therefore what she is telling the crew is real. Seven asks the Voyager crew for their help to save Unimatrix Zero.

Meanwhile, the Borg Queen is coming closer and closer to finding Unimatrix Zero. She has continued to dismantle other Drones in order to observe their parts and find a way into Unimatrix Zero.

Janeway feels that the crew should help, because it is a new aspect of the Collective and a potential weakness. They begin coming up with a plan to help the Drones.

Tuvok suggest a Vulcan technique known as the "Bridging of Minds," Janeway agrees. Janeway, Seven, and Tuvok will be hooked up to monitors. Tuvok will oversee their thoughts and Janeway will go with Seven back to Unimatrix Zero.

Upon their arrival they find Drones, sent by the Borg Queen, trying to destroy Unimatrix Zero. A battle ensues and Janeway defeats the last of the Drones. The Borg Queen has seen the fight through the eyes of a regenerating Drone and does not like what she sees. Janeway assures Axum that they will help defeat the infiltration of the Borg Queen's Drones into Unimatrix Zero.

Janeway and Seven begin working on a plan to help Axum and the others. The crew is trying to find a way to deploy a highly experimental "nanovirus" designed to target all the Drones with the recessive mutation and reprogram their memory centers. That way, when they leave their alcoves they will retain their memories. Janeway tells Seven to go back and reassure Axum that they are working on a plan and will be there as soon as they can.

Seven arrives at Unimatrix Zero and things have gotten worse, however the Klingons have banded together and are fighting off the Borg Queen's Drones. Axum confesses to Seven that they were involved before she escaped the Borg. They had promised not to leave one another, but as things got worse Axum insisted that she leave him behind and save herself. Although Seven feels familiar with Axum and Unimatrix Zero, she still does not remember what he is talking about.

Back on Voyager, Janeway is preparing to transform herself into a Drone in order to implement the nanovirus, Chakotay does not think it is a good idea. While they are arguing, the power beings to flicker and the command center becomes dark and foggy. The Borg Queen appears on the screen and threatens Janeway and her crew by informing them that she knows they have been in contact with Starfleet. The Queen informs Janeway that if she becomes involved with helping Unimatrix Zero, Voyager will have a difficult time making it home. Janeway does not back down, frustrated, the Borg Queen disappears and the crew knows they are going to have a fight on their hands

Unimatrix Zero, Part II

http://www.startrek.com/library/voy_episod...tail_112328.asp

Unimatrix Zero is a secluded place within the Borg collective where drones can be themselves while they regenerate, but only certain Borg have the ability to visit. The Borg Queen considers Unimatrix Zero a threat because she does not want her Borg to ever have traces of individuality, but Captain Janeway thinks it could give the Federation allies within the Collective. Janeway, Tuvok and B'Elanna Torres put Borg implants in their bodies and infiltrate the Borg Cube to try and free the select few that are able to go to Unimatrix Zero, giving them the ability to maintain their individuality outside of Unimatrix Zero. The away team has been injected with a neural suppressant to keep their Borg implants from really connecting them to the Collective.

While the away team is on the Borg Cube, Seven of Nine goes to Unimatrix Zero herself to tell the Borg within what the team is doing. Seven had been able to go there when she was part of the Collective and she still maintains that ability. In the past, she had a romantic relationship there with her fellow Borg, Axum, and when she meets him there again, she notices those feelings returning.

While the away team is headed for the Central Plexus of the Borg Cube, Tuvok notices that his neural suppressant is wearing off and the Borg Queen begins communicating with him telepathically. The Queen finally convinces Tuvok to stop Janeway and Torres as they download a virus to free the select group of drones. They manage to get the virus into the system, but Tuvok prevents them from leaving. More Borg drones appear and capture Captain Janeway, but Torres is able to get away. Tuvok restrains Janeway and puts her in contact with the queen.

The Borg Queen makes Janeway watch on a viewscreen as she blows up a different Borg Cube, destroying the thousands of lives on board, because she lost contact with three of the drones due to Janeway's virus. The Queen uses the virus Janeway used to free the drones and alters it to actually kill the drones. She tells Janeway that unless the captain tells the free drones to rejoin the collective, she will go to Unimatrix Zero and kill all of the drones inside. Janeway is put into contact with Chakotay on Voyager to tell him the free drones have to go back to the collective, but instead of telling him that directly, she secretly tells him to destroy Unimatrix Zero. Without Unimatrix Zero, the Queen will not be able to find all of the free drones, and if she destroys all of the Borg vessels they are on, she will destroy her entire fleet.

After Seven tells everybody in Unimatrix Zero of the plan, they all agree that it is the best way to handle the situation and they offer to help get the away team back to the U.S.S. Voyager. While Voyager is preparing to attack the Borg Cube, a smaller Borg Sphere appears through a transwarp conduit and hails them. Korok, a Klingon that has been assimilated into the Collective, has taken over the Sphere and offers to help them destroy the Cube. Chakotay accepts his offer and both ships begin attacking the Cube. Just as the Borg Cube explodes, Harry Kim manages to beam Janeway, Tuvok and Torres back to Voyager where they can be relieved of their Borg implants.

Seven, meanwhile, has gone back to Unimatrix Zero one last time to say goodbye to Axum. Axum and Seven are the only people left as Unimatrix Zero falls apart around them. Axum tells Seven that he is on a Borg Cube in a totally different part of the galaxy and though it seem like they will never see each other again, he will find her. They both leave Unimatrix Zero as it completely fritzes out of existence.

OH MAN! I forgot to watch! :(

Tonight is "Imperfection"! This was a great episode and I love what Icheb did for Seven! I was sooo rooting that he'd do what he did when I first saw the episode. Anywho, back to "Unimatrix Zero, Parts I & II". I've got a question. Do you all think that Janeway, Tuvok, and B'Elanna would have any remaining implants from the experrience? Perhaps neural implants if nothing else? What about that giant implant we saw get shoved through the side of Janeway's head? OUCH! :(

I had the same question. Picard did not have any leftover inplants either. Also, what about the arms and the eyes?

Picard had an arm thing that fit "over" his existing arm and didn't have an eye implant. The VOY 3 who got assimilated didn't have limb nor eye implants either. Perhaps you have to be a drone for a few months to a few years for the nueral implants and such to become "permanent"?

I allways thought they'd be Borg tech free except for that one "big" implant shoved into the side of her head. It had to go somewhere! Just thinking about that... OW! :(

And dont forget the psychological damage of being assimilated. Im quite attached (no pun intended!) to my body parts and wouldnt feel right with prothsetics.

OH MAN!  I forgot to watch! :(

Tonight is "Imperfection"!  This was a great episode and I love what Icheb did for Seven!  I was sooo rooting that he'd do what he did when I first saw the episode.  Anywho, back to "Unimatrix Zero, Parts I & II".  I've got a question.  Do you all think that Janeway, Tuvok, and B'Elanna would have any remaining implants from the experrience?  Perhaps neural implants if nothing else?  What about that giant implant we saw get shoved through the side of Janeway's head?  OUCH! :(

Yes I agree Captain. It did seem to me that all of that Borg Machinary was removed too easily, and without any Psychological damage. It seemed almost not normal. :(

Well, they "willfully" allowed assimilation, so I can see this as being why their was no psychological damage. They removed "all" the Borg tech from Picard, maybe that's why they were able to do the same for Janeway, Tuvok, and Torrez? Still, what about that giant implant they shoved in Janeway's head?! :(

Yeah, since they weren't like that for long ( like Picard as Locutus), it could all be removed

And since 7 was a borg drone for..what..20 years or so?? She still has some borg tech in her.

As for Janeway's Head....I dunno

Yes, it all seemed too easy. Anyone else would probably have an implant here or there but they didn't. I wounder if that is do to the fact that they were three of the main characters and not a guest star. :lol:

These episodes do make you think " How is all this possible"?

Maybe the writers didn't catch that small detail. :rolleyes: