Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VaBeachGuy

A few pics of me

Basic: Ft. Leonard Wood, MO

AIT: Ft. Leonard Wood, MO

First permanent duty: Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. Right across the street from my Basic brigade. I ran into my drill sergeants all the (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)ing time.

71L? 71B? Those are the only 2 that I know from Leonard Wood.

12B, Combat Engineer. They renumbered the MOSs some time ago so I don't know what it is now.

Combat Engineer is normally OSUT (One Station Unit Training) where Basic and AIT are combined. Not in my case however. I was supposed to be 43E, Parachute Rigger, but I had to be Airborne qualified for that. I broke my wrist in Basic (Pugil stick training) and spent the last half in a cast. I lost my Airborne slot so they had to reclassify me. I chose 12B because I figured that would be the best way to eventually get another slot but that didn't happen.

Plus, explosives are COOL!!!

I was at Fort Jackson (SC) for Basic and then Fort Gordon (Georgia) for AIT. My original MOS was phased out shortly after I joined, 31M (Multichannel Communications System Operator) and became 2 different MOS's, 31F and 31D (Multiple Subscriber Equipment or MSE). Basically the same MOS but more modern radio equipment.

I too was set for Airborne and the XVIII Airborne Corp after AIT but an accident in Basic messed up my back and both knees so I eventually had to waive my Airborne option from my contract. I hated to do it though because I wanted my wings very badly.

After that I went on to Fort Hood in Texas where I stayed until I retired (because of my knees and back).

One of the things that I've missed about the Army is the food. I loved the mess hall! One side hot meal the other side "fast food". 3 or 4 times a week I'd go in one side and get burgers and fries in a take out tray, put them in the truck... I treated my CUCV (M1009) as if it was my POV and then went in the other side for a hot meal. Thanksgiving 1989 I ate 4 Thanksgiving Dinners, 2 for lunch and 2 for dinner lol. I also miss the breakfasts with chocolate milk.

Did you have a Robin Hood sub shop at your PX? Man their subs were great!

Nice pics. Even though you have a Hitler mustache lol. Just kidding, you look nice in all of them

lol Thank you. The little mustache has turned into a full beard now though. (Not quite as full as SpaceTiggers though lol)

The Kennedy Space Center disappointed me the Smithsonian was alot better, which really surprised me

Ever wonder what military boxer shorts look like:

fortgordon.jpg

Nice boxers, President Kevs. :dude:

That's not me, his name is Dan Corwe. A buddy of mine. He was pointing out that he had his "Military" underwear on. Believe it or not the room was completely dark when I took that picture. Someone turned the lights out just before I took it.

The good old days, standing around with your buddies in your underwear and still being staight.

Yeah, that picture was when we were in A.I.T., I went through Basic Training with them also.

The Kennedy Space Center disappointed me the Smithsonian was alot better, which really surprised me

When did you go and what did you see there? Did you go to the Apollo-Saturn Visitors center? I've been to the Smithsonian hundreds of times but only the KSC once and would much rather go back to the KSC again, and hope to soon.

The room mate guy who's dressed up with the hat kind of looks like someone from my church lol.

When are you going to post some more pics, Kevin?

I'm usually the one taking the pics, though I do have some (somewhere) from a parade that I was in a year or 2 ago though. I'll post them if I can find them.

KSC in 1996

Smithsonian 1995

plan on going to KSC in the fall when we take a trip down to Orlando for a fall Vacation, I am looking Forward to another trip to Epcot

KSC in 1996

Smithsonian 1995

plan on going to KSC in the fall when we take a trip down to Orlando for a fall Vacation, I am looking Forward to another trip to Epcot

Yeah, go to KSC again. They didn't open the Apollo-Saturn Visitors center until December of 96 so you probably didn't get to see that. It was awesome with a simulated lunar landing and Saturn Takeoff. As well as seeing the Saturn V laying on it's side, a Lunar Module and a capsule (I think it was the Apollo-Soyuz capsule that took Deke Slayton up on his one and only space flight). They had a Lunar Rover as well as a bunch of other stuff also. For me though, Apollo is a passion and I could spend hours in there and never get tired.

Epcott and Disney were a blast but for me the highlight of my trip was the Apollo-Saturn center.

KSC in 1996

Smithsonian 1995

Yeah, go to KSC again. They didn't open the Apollo-Saturn Visitors center until December of 96 so you probably didn't get to see that. It was awesome with a simulated lunar landing and Saturn Takeoff. As well as seeing the Saturn V laying on it's side, a Lunar Module and a capsule (I think it was the Apollo-Soyuz capsule that took Deke Slayton up on his one and only space flight). They had a Lunar Rover as well as a bunch of other stuff also. For me though, Apollo is a passion and I could spend hours in there and never get tired.

Epcott and Disney were a blast but for me the highlight of my trip was the Apollo-Saturn center.

Yeah O've seen that advertised on TV down here looks fun

When I go to Disney this year I want to do the Mission Space, which I couldnt or should I say wouldnt do when me and Alana came down the Disney World

The wait was 3 hours long, and we had the park hopper pass, so we didnt really like waiting

U might have a Wheel chair when and if we go in the fall, means we can skip some long lines

Yes my Lupus and RA is getting that bad anymore :dude:

KSC in 1996

Smithsonian 1995

Yeah O've seen that advertised on TV down here looks fun

When I go to Disney this year I want to do the Mission Space, which I couldnt or should I say wouldnt do when me and Alana came down the Disney World

The wait was 3 hours long, and we had the park hopper pass, so we didnt really like waiting

U might have a Wheel chair when and if we go in the fall, means we can skip some long lines

Yes my Lupus and RA is getting that bad anymore :dude:

I'm sorry to hear that about needing the chair.

I had thought about going down to NASA this summer but I'll wait till next year I think, I'm going to wait and do other things in the fall.