Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Could they have scrubbed Generations?

Friends is encroaching on it's (?) tenth series now. Although it isn't as fresh as it once was, it does still have a charm and familiarity that has lasted. Do you feel that TNG could have carried on for another three series? With maybe, some of the arcs explored in Generations and Voyager developed as episodes?

These are just questions.

I myself would have liked at least ONE more series of the Enterprise D. There were plenty more character developments and roads that could have been explored. Geordi and romance. Deanna and Riker and Worf. Picard could have lost his family in season 8. Data being given emotions and the destruction of the D could have, maybe, made a better season ender in the 'continued' story arc of DS9 season 7 style. The destruction of the ship and the building of the new one could have breathed fresh life into the series. The crew apart. More drama. Emotion. And less of the ''off we go, vrooooom vrooooom'' the series had.

Interesting idea, it may have worked. The only complications I see in it is that TPTB wanted to focus on DS9 (Was Voyager out yet?) and I think they were anxious to test the Movie waters for TNG.

Would have all of the main characters signed to come back for 3 more seasons? That's a big part of the question there too.

I think all of the series could have played for a few more seasons each, Voyager should have never gotten home in it's end though. The only reason I see for them to make it home in the final episode is if TPTB knew for sure that there would be no more installments of Voyager period. DS9 is left open for movies, though it may be unlikely to happen. And of course TNG can still make movies. Maybe we should try to get them to try the new "10 year rule" with Enterprise. Is everyone up for 8 more seasons of Enterprise? I know I am!

I'm with you on the 8 more seasons of ENT VBG, but as far as TNG I was happy with the way it ended, a few more would have nice but it ended right, as did DS9. The only one I feel should have been on longer was VOY, it needed at least one more to really end well. But season 7 and the movies have left me happy with TNG.

Oddly enough I felt seven seasons for TNG was fine...yes there could have been more story lines and more character development, but I have to look at it from the actors point of view instead of the fans. When you are being offered $1 million plus per ep coming to work isn't all that hard. By breakng of into movies Paramount did what hollywood has been doing for years..took a fan base and gave it what the wanted while lining their pockets. I'm not taalking greed here only sense, sure they coild have had season 8,9 and 10 but making a movie is much more profitable ( unless its nemisis)

Interesting idea, it may have worked. The only complications I see in it is that TPTB wanted to focus on DS9 (Was Voyager out yet?) and I think they were anxious to test the Movie waters for TNG.

Would have all of the main characters signed to come back for 3 more seasons? That's a big part of the question there too.

I think all of the series could have played for a few more seasons each, Voyager should have never gotten home in it's end though. The only reason I see for them to make it home in the final episode is if TPTB knew for sure that there would be no more installments of Voyager period. DS9 is left open for movies, though it may be unlikely to happen. And of course TNG can still make movies.  Maybe we should try to get them to try the new "10 year rule" with Enterprise. Is everyone up for 8 more seasons of Enterprise? I know I am!

no!!! :) :bow:

If they did make more television TNG, the actors would be to old and too bored to bother with making 4 movies afterwards. Well, I'm assuming so. They might have made 1 or 2 after that but I doubt it would have gone any farther than that.

If they did make more television TNG, the actors would be to old and too bored to bother with making 4 movies afterwards.  Well, I'm assuming so.  They might have made 1 or 2 after that but I doubt it would have gone any farther than that.

Stardate:213600.7

I think the idea of more TNG seasons would of been cool but i dont like the idea of scrubbing Generations.I thought that was an awsome film :)

I would prefer a good 7-8 season run and then maybe a number of movies if the actors are willing to make them. I don't like having a long running show like THE X FILES becuase by the time it's over, if you have a large ensemble cast, most of them are going to want to move on. The premise will feel "tired" and just about everything you can do with the show will have been done. However, if you end it arround 7 or 8 seasons, that leaves the door open for a movie, possible sequals, and a possible spin-off series. :)

I would have liked to see a few more seasons of TNG. And I would love to see a 10 year run on ENT. IMO I would rather see more seasons and less movies because in the long run that gives us more material to watch because of the episodes in a season.