Sign in to follow this  
master_q

You have to love Shatner

You have to love Shatner

If you were in the chat room when we did trivia, then you heard me talk about this before. (See what you are missing out when you don’t come to my trivia session?)

However, I have some more quotes and I’ll probably add a few when the days go by.

I gave him his career. Leonard owes me so much that it’s uncountable by anybody else but me. I’m counting.

I love to watch those behind the scenes where Shatner is joking and teasing Leonard -Saying that he taught him everything he knows and all of that. He has a good sense of humor. I like Shatner a lot.

I was looking thought Whatner’s site and it has a BBS. So I looked around and found some amusing comments by Bill him self . . .

I am having trouble remembering the last time I was bored. You must realize that I'm alone with myself which is endlessly fascinating! My best, Bill

The Convention was great fun as always. Leonard was hysterical, too. And I don't mean funny! My best, Bill

I saw another one, but I can’t find it . .. . It talked about his fear is that he will be left alone in a room with Leonard.

LOL (Of course he is just joking. From what I have seen in “Trek News” and from what I have seen in interviews it seems like they are best friends. . . . Leonard said in an interview that they see each other a lot)

(Like I stated: See what you are missing out when you don’t come to my trivia session? LOL I’m kidding)

Here some new stuff:

{These are from the behind the scenes on the Special Edition Collector’s Edition of Star Trek III}

He now says to management, “You want me back?”

They said, “Yes, Leonard. You’re so wonderful. You’re so handsome.

So graceful and you’re so talented. You’re so imaginative.”

He says, “You think so?”

And everybody at Paramount bows down.

I saw a whole line from the top of the management to some of the busboys in the restaurant all bowing like this. Nodding their heads to Leonard.

Leonard walked among them, blessing them, blessed the head of the studio.

Then he said, “If you want me in your film, I want to direct the film.”

And their jaws went, un-huh.

I kept saying, “Leonard’s going to direct?”

You know, my brow furrowed

See this line here?

That happened in Star Trek III

Now, I’m going to tell you a story that you’ll have to believe that it is the truth.

I was doing a series at that very time.

I was in a series, a police series, and Leonard came running over and says “I gotta direct one of your series. I don’t know quite what to do with the camera here.”

So

Leonard directed a segment of the series I was doing.

I helped Leonard every shot.

Everything he knew, I taught him.

He took that out of the segment and went to direct Star Trek III.

And he was my

acolyte.

He was an apprentice to me.

And therefore Leonard owes me

more than he has ever admitted in public before.

LOL!

To quote someone from another message board “Shatner still is and always will be DA MAN!.”

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

One of the replies I had on another forum that I go to (it is a very small community - we only have about 1 or 2 posts per day, but it has some of the best people. However, I have been unsuccessful in bringing any of them here) . . .

Anyways, One of the replies led to a series of replies talking about how other people like Stewart have “turned to scorning the franchise and the fans” and how Shatner has not.

So I’m wondering what everyone thinks on those lines also

For example)

Stewart said how he wanted to “hurt” some ST fans (who were dressed in ST-uniform) when they came to a play he was working on.

Master Q

Edited by master_q

Stardate:213547.6

Yeh I went to a convention a little while after Generations where both Stewart and Shatner were there.At one point they were signing Novels of Generations(unfortunatley I didnt have a copy at the time :clap: )anyways I was with a friend who got his signed and Shatner was joking with everybody and just being generally nice and Stewart was just sitting there signing books and not saying a word.

I never been to a Star Trek convention - it sounds fun. In the future I’ll be sure to go one when I have the opportunity.

I would really like to meet Bill.

What do you (and everyone else) think about how Bill treats the fans compared to actors/actresses like Patrick?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{Here are some more from ST II}

My theory about the coffin and Leonard Nimoy whispering into McCoy’s ear which were the two things that, looking back, suggests that Spock might come back.

Those two things had such calculations.

Those two guys, Nimoy and Bennett were in collusion.

There’s no question.

And they kept me out of it.

And to this day,

I resent it.

And the terrible things is,

neither Bennett nor Nimoy

to this day will admit it!

That they knew what they were doing.

And when I saw the coffin and when I saw Spock go like this to McCoy’s ear,

extraneous business.

See in a film, every shot has to count.

Every moment

especially when you’re going towards the end

You don’t have any extraneous moments of time.

Everything’s to tell the story.

What was that about?

What was the coffin about?

Unless Nimoy expected to come back.

We all mourned him,

I hugged him and sobbed “Lenoard, you’re not . . . ”

He took me over the coals,

and to this day he

won’t admit it.

They knew.

(Someone says off camera to him): “I’m sure you’ll make him pay.”

(He replies): “I am going to get him one day.”

Master Q

I'm a fan of Bill Shatner too. I think the reason he gets such bad press is because of his sense of humor. Alot of people, upon hearing the above quotes, think he's serious, and of course they are mistakenly led to believe that Bill Shatner is an egomaniac. I was surprised at the backlash he got after his "Get A Life" skit on Saturday Night Live. I saw the skit and laughed my *buttocks* off!

I saw the skit also, and thought it was hysterical!

I've read Shatner's book Get a Life,and found it very interesting. It comes through loud and clear that the man truly loves and appreciates the Star Trek fans.

I highly recommend the book to those who haven't read it.

I'm a fan of Bill Shatner too.  I think the reason he gets such bad press is because of his sense of humor.  Alot of people, upon hearing the above quotes, think he's serious, and of course they are mistakenly led to believe that Bill Shatner is an egomaniac.  I was surprised at the backlash he got after his "Get A Life" skit on Saturday Night Live.  I saw the skit and laughed my *buttocks* off!

Yeah, I know what you mean.

On another message board I use to go to people were interpreting him as if he was serious on what he was saying. It is unfortunate that people don’t realize that.

Like I said I’ll add some more . . .

{Here are some more from ST III}

I remember the fire in the lot

emphatically.

So I’m making ST II and I’m shooting a series.

I’m about shoot a series at the same time.

In fact, the movie was made during my hiatus period.

So I have a start date on some date which was the beginning of the second season of the series of the third year of the series . . . . I had to be back

And I’m making this movie.

And this movie is falling a little bit behind the schedule.

I know that I have one day to finish the film

and get to the series.

And I’m walking along in the studio one day,

and I see smoke.

I run to where the smoke is.

It’s coming from our set.

And I open the stage door

and look I look in,

and I see the flickering of the flame on the set.

What goes through my mind is not

“Get out of here.

Save somebody’s life.

Studio’s going to go up.”

None of that.

What goes through my mind is

“We’re going to lose a day and I am not going to be happy.

And the people at the series are not going to be happy.

There’s going to be a terrible conflict.”

My desperation was not to save anything but the one day we would lose on the set.

And I’m spraying away when

the fire people come in and tell me these are toxic chemicals

and get out and they’ll hand the rest.

I may have been the one

that was

instrumental

in saving

the day.

Not only did

I save

the day

on the set,

I saved

the day

on the schedule.

And they restructured and rebuilt and repainted.

And when the firemen came in,

they saluted me

and I saluted back.

I said

“It’s all yours now.”

Ducking low underneath the smoke and flame, I emerged, blackened, but triumphant.

LOL

Master Q

Stewart said how he wanted to “hurt” some ST fans (who were dressed in ST-uniform) when they came to a play he was working on.

I like Patrick's portrayal of Captain Picard but I was a little turned off by this comment of his. I've never heard of Shatner saying similar things about Trek fans. I've always enjoyed Bill's sense of humor. His Saturday night live skit was very humorous. I don't know why Bill hasn't recieved the proper credit that he deserves....Where would Star Trek be without Bill Shatner? In my opinion Bill has saved the franchise many times and kept it alive...

Sometimes, I feel that it is shame that the Original cast didn't continue making movies after number 6..I like 1-6 much better than 7-10..!..But, I suppose it was time to move on to the Next Generation..

Patrick Stewart has said many times that he loves Trek fans and he has also defended fans in the media many times but let's face it there are times when some people do inappropriate things. Showing up at a performance of a play wearing a Starfleet uniform is one of those times. It not only embarasses Mr. Stewart but it is an embarassment to all Trek fans and perpetuates the myth that we are loonies.

Patrick Stewart has said many times that he loves Trek fans and he has also defended fans in the media many times but let's face it there are times when some people do inappropriate things.  Showing up at a performance of a play wearing a Starfleet uniform is one of those times.  It not only embarasses Mr. Stewart but it is an embarassment to all Trek fans and perpetuates the myth that we are loonies.

I totally agree with you. I wanted to say the same but did not know how to pack it into proper English words :D

I am SUCH a HUGE fan of Patrick. But I would definitely NEVER go to one of his performances in London wearing my Starfleet uniform. :D

Mrs. Captain Picard

Patrick Stewart has said many times that he loves Trek fans and he has also defended fans in the media many times but let's face it there are times when some people do inappropriate things.  Showing up at a performance of a play wearing a Starfleet uniform is one of those times.  It not only embarasses Mr. Stewart but it is an embarassment to all Trek fans and perpetuates the myth that we are loonies.

I totally agree with you. I wanted to say the same but did not know how to pack it into proper English words :D

I am SUCH a HUGE fan of Patrick. But I would definitely NEVER go to one of his performances in London wearing my Starfleet uniform. :D

Mrs. Captain Picard

Stardate:213553.9

Yeh i agree.People like that make me sick.Those people are way too obbsesed with Star Trek.Stewart just said he wanted to hurt them.I tell you what if i would of been there i would of jumped them in the parking lot and broke their legs. Master Q you said you wanted to go to a conventio that it would be fun.Well it is but I warn you now that there is alot of those type of people there.At least the one I went to there was.I wanted to just get a baseball bat an go pyshco and those stupid b******s.

Anyways now that im done ranting I agree Shatner is awsome.I got to shake his hand and what not and the convention and he seemed like such a nice guy.Like I said he was joking with everybody.One thing he did while we were in line was he looked at Stewart and said"Hey I look pretty good for a dead man dont I?" :laugh:I only wish Nimoy would of been there as well I can imagine what he would of said.

Too bad there wasnt a way to get Shatner on here that would be awsome!!!!!!!!!!

It's always annoyed me when people have bad mouthed Bill. I have always known he was funny, and had a great sense of humour. You could see the twinkle in his eyes. :D

I dont like him. I think he's a real attention seeker. I agree with Doohan and others. But that doesnt mean I dont like Shatner fans. I mean, each to their own right... :D

Sometimes, I feel that it is shame that the Original cast didn't continue making movies after number 6..I like 1-6 much better than 7-10..!..But, I suppose it was time to move on to the Next Generation..

I also enjoyed the TOS based movies more than the TNG based ones, but that's just my humble opinion. As far as the TOS cast doing more than the first 6? Alas, no. The cast had been playing these characters for 30 years and age was catching up with them. It was wise of them to pass the torch, rather that see a geriatric bridge crew shuffling across the universe.

I also enjoyed the TOS based movies more than the TNG based ones, but that's just my humble opinion. As far as the TOS cast doing more than the first 6? Alas, no. The cast had been playing these characters for 30 years and age was catching up with them. It was wise of them to pass the torch, rather that see a geriatric bridge crew shuffling across the universe.

Sad to say, I have to agree with you Mrs.Kirk. I love the original cast. They will always be my favorites. They set the stage and the bar for everyone who has followed, and have yet to follow!

Well I think anyone could defend his comments about the two people dressing up, but if you have been staying update on Trek News and have been reading all the interviews, then you know that he has made more comments that are more direct and more bold then this.

For one he has roughly said “I’m threw with Star Trek because that last film was not good enough or did not do good enough.”

He also said roughly (on many occasion in the last few months) “I don’t want to be affiliated with Star Trek because it is hurting my career.”

Now I hope everyone here is not blind enough to defend comments like “I don’t want to be affiliated with Star Trek.” However, this is all is not to say that he does not love Star Trek - of course he does, but anyone that has been keeping update on Trek News would be aware that he has been going overboard (I think anyone can admit to that and that some of his statements are hurtful to the fans of Star Trek).

I’m going to quote someone from the other community I go to:

Yeah, but in Shatner and Nimoy's case it was because there was this show they had been on for only three years that had typecast them and made them unable to get anymore work. They were broke, and Star Trek had done poorly and been cancelled, so until the movies started and they became rich their animosity was understandable. But in the case of Stewart, Star Trek took him from being a virtual nobody and made him a houshold name; he became the star of one of the top shows on television for seven years and then IMMEDIATELY (without any 10 year gap) went on to star in three big blockbuster movies. Suddenly when the 4th movie does poorly he starts acting as if Star Trek ruined his career. It didn't. If anything, Trek GAVE Stewart a career in the movies and made him into the superstar he is today. Now that's not to say that Stewart wasn't talented enough to become successful without Captiain Picard; of course he was. But the fact is that nobody in America knew who Patrick Stewart was before Star Trek: The Next Generation; before then he was just, "that bald guy from Dune." He should have a lot more gratitude. If it had not been for Star Trek, there would have been no X-Men, no Conspiracy Theory, no King of Texas, and hardly anyone would have cared about his Christmas Carol one-man play or this other one he's doing now based on Shakespeare. Shatner and Nimoy intially suffered because of Star Trek; Stewart has done nothing but benefit from it. But all of a sudden he's turned into an ungrateful, fairweather ally of the franchise and has immaturely quit just because ONE TIME Star Trek failed to be the cash cow it has been in all the time he's known it to be. I can understand if he is hurt and upset that Nemesis did poorly, but there's no reason for him to sabotage the franchise because of that. I interpret his attitude as saying, "Oh well, Star Trek can't make me rich anymore; the hell with it then." His actions are an abandonment and a betrayal of all his miliions of fans who have made him successful over the last 15 years, and the ultimate sign of disrespect. Essentially he has given the Trek franchise and the Trek community the finger. How can anyone not find that offensive?

He reminds me of another turncoat who abandoned the show that made him into a star: Jerry O'Connell, when he abandoned Sliders, causing the show to enter even worse a tailspin than it already was. Another example might be David Duchoveny, who left The X-Files at the end of Season 7, after which time the show should have been cancelled but unfortunately was not and ended up becoming a lame joke, a shell of what it once was, like Babe Ruth in his final years (at least Duchovney was willing to come back for the final episode; Stewart is saying he won't even come back for one final movie). And then of course, there's in-franchise traitors like Robert Beltran and, though I agree with many of his points, Avery Brooks. I don't need to discuss them in detail.

Let's see just how well X3 does without the support of Stewart's Trek fanbase. Maybe then he'll change his mind a little bit about how to honor the fans who made him who he is today.

Master Q

hm, let me think about how I say my next few sentences...

Of course it is not very... good to talk about Star Trek like Mr. Stewart did. I think there is always another side to mention.

Okay, he got famous with Star Trek. But - he did not want to become famous. He was an actor mainly doing little projects on stage. As he was offered to play Jean-Luc Picard he did not know what he was up to, he didn't even know Star Trek. He thought Star Trek would be cancelled within the first months. So, okay, now you can say, "Why did he not go when realizing he did not like it?" He did not go maybe because he liked his fellow actors, and of course, the money was a big reason (I am not so blind that I cannot see this). He was just not prepared for the huge success of TNG and the problems that would come out of it. He once said if he had known that TNG took seven seasons he would have cancelled his "okay" to play Jean-Luc Picard.

Okay, Star Trek did not ruin his career. But, it was VERY hard for him to get other roles than "the good old man that saves everyone". Everybody saw Jean-Luc Picard, Patrick Stewart, the actor, was not seen. I understand him that he thinks that is "damaging" his career. I've got a very low budget movie on video, it is called "Dad Savage" in which he plays an evil killer cowboy.. And guess what... This movie was not a success, nobody wanted to have an "evil Picard".

Anyway, what I am bout to say is that sometimes I understand him when he gets a little angry on all of that.

--- That were more than a few sentences, I know ----

Mrs. Captain Picard

Well, I don’t think the factor of “wanting to become famous” should even be an issue, but even if it is true (and it probably is) no one can really say for sure if this is the case.

It is true that it is hard to separate Picard from Patrick, but Star Trek really did give him his career that he has today and that’s the key point.

Patrick really has been going overboard claiming that Star Trek is hurting his career when it in fact gave it to him

Master Q

Without Star Trek, he would have been an unknown stage actor, maybe...

But: Are we sure he did NOT want to be exactly that?

Okay, I must confess, some things he says now are not very nice to Star Trek fans. The question is WHY he says those things.

Mrs. Captain Picard

For one he has roughly said “I’m threw with Star Trek because that last film was not good enough or did not do good enough.”

He also said roughly (on many occasion in the last few months) “I don’t want to be affiliated with Star Trek because it is hurting my career.”

Now I hope everyone here is not blind enough to defend comments like “I don’t want to be affiliated with Star Trek.” However, this is all is not to say that he does not love Star Trek - of course he does, but anyone that has been keeping update on Trek News would be aware that he has been going overboard (I think anyone can admit to that and that some of his statements are hurtful to the fans of Star Trek).

You keep paraphrasing things and taking them out of context and that isn't fair to Patrick Stewart. I think it's possible he feels let down by Trek fans for the lack of support of Nemesis which he felt was the best Trek movie the TNG cast has made.

You keep paraphrasing things and taking them out of context and that isn't fair to Patrick Stewart.  I think it's possible he feels let down by Trek fans for the lack of support of Nemesis which he felt was the best Trek movie the TNG cast has made.

They are not taken out of context. He has been going overboard and saying the things I have been saying.

He might feel “let down” but that does not make an excuse for what he is saying

Master Q

It is not a look for excuses, it's a look for explanations.

Mrs. Captain Picard

Mrs. Captain Picard

Well I think the reasons were pointed out in our topic. (for the most part)

He’s mad that the movie did not do well and he's just going overboard on his reactions and comments.

Master Q

Mrs. Captain Picard

He’s mad that the movie did not do well and he's just going overboard on his reactions and comments.

Master Q

I think it is fair to assume that you don't like Patrick Stewart for whatever reason. I have heard many stories about William Shatner being arrogant and rude to people but I don't repeat them. I have also heard many wonderful stories about Patrick Stewart. I don't think you should condemn a person based on a few remarks made after a bitter disappointment.

Mrs. Captain Picard

Master Q

I think it is fair to assume that you don't like Patrick Stewart for whatever reason. I have heard many stories about William Shatner being arrogant and rude to people but I don't repeat them. I have also heard many wonderful stories about Patrick Stewart. I don't think you should condemn a person based on a few remarks made after a bitter disappointment.

That’s absolutely not true.

I actually like Patrick and have not condemned him in anyway shape or form.

(You are reading too much into what I have stated)

All I said was that Patrick Stewart has made some harsh comments which he should have not. That’s all I said.

Everyone has a low point and I understand that, but Stewart should not be making a big deal out of the movie as he is. He should not quit Star Trek just because the last movie did badly and he should not claim that Star Trek has ruined his career when it actually gave it to him.

That’s all I said and that in no means was “condemning him” and should have not gave anyone the impression that I don’t like him.

Master Q

I'm coming late to this debate, but to me it does sound like you are condeming him.

I have seen PS talking about how proud of the work he did on Nem, so i can understand if he was upset by its poor return.

I agree. It must be hard to see that your very hard work is not being accepted or honored very much (though I DID like Nemesis and I always tell that everyone who does not like it :( ).

Mrs. Captain Picard

Well I have stated that it is understandable that he would be angry, but I don’t think Stewart should say the things he has been saying. (I think we can all admit to that, at least for the most part)

However, in no way was I condemning him. I just stated that he should not be saying the things he is. There is a difference between condemning and what I have stated.

Master Q

I guess I should say a few things because my comments have been stretched way out of proportion.

I never was saying anything negative about the man in general.

All I was talking about were his comments and that his comments were wrong or that he should have not said them.

I believe it is baseless to think I don’t like him or I’m condemning him.

For example I could write a topic on TNG saying all the negatives the show had. I could do that and maybe some of you might say that I do not like the show or that I am condemning the show.

However, even if I did type a topic stating all the negatives of TNG does not mean that I’m condemning the show or don’t like it.

How would that imply that?

Just because I can make a topic stating the negatives of TNG does not mean that I don’t like the show - on the contrary I love the show, but I still can point out lots of negatives.

So I think accusations against me for not liking the man or condemning him are baseless.

Hopefully everyone understands what I have and have not stated about the man

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways like promised I’ll finish up Bill’s comments . . . .

{Here is the last for ST IV}

Leonard . . .

First off,

Leonard is a very wise guy.

He’s very, very smart.

So much smarter then I am

he gives me an inferiority complex.

And a terrific director,

of course having learned from my knee.

Master Q