Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Desert Crossing

I just rewatched this and had a couple of questions. When did Zobral set up his plan. Did he know the Enterprise would answer his distress call - was that a set up. Or did he just decide after he met Archer that he would get ENT involved.

Also, why would they make Trip, of all people, not like heat. The guy grew in Florida - granted it's dry versus humid heat but from what I remember dry feels better. Any thoughts on this.

I can give some insight into the heat question. Almost everywhere I've lived has been a pretty hot place. This includes the American south and the Middle Eastern desert. And I hate heat. I hate being hot. I stay inside all summer. Maybe Tucker is just a little partial to his air conditioning. And besides. I doubt it ever gets desert hot in Florida. I couldn't verify that, as I've only visited Florida. But I've lived in a desert... well... a city in a desert, and it is hot!!

I like to think his plan was set up in advance because Archers reputation preceded him and Zobral was an opportunist.

Desert heat and humid, Florida type heat can be different things. I personally can stand dry desert heat but soon wilt when the humidity starts to rise, perhaps Trip is the opposite kind of metabolism. Also imo, it could be speculated he had been having a bad time about everything recently and this was a good chance for him to just give up. Similar to when Bones wanted to give up and die on the icy world of Rura Pentha.

Oh great, I have unwittingly exposed ENT of a rehash :clap:

I didn't get that Trip just wanted to give up... I got that he got sick from the heat. Even before they left he said he didn't like heat - that's why he didn't want to go. He would have never survived life in Southern Florida if he passed out every time it got hot. I too think dry heat is more bearable than humid heat. Sometimes I lose my breath just opening the front door and going outside.

On the other hand I grew up in Florida but lived about ten years in snow country. I never learned to take the cold.

I need to re-watch that episode. I thought he just didn't like the desert.

I think Trip didn't like the dry heat. If you've lived in the South for a long period of time, you become accustomed the the humidity that accompanies the heat. It is very difficult for someone who is used to all that moisture to adapt to the aridity. I tried it for a time, and my body just could not tolerate the lack of moisture.

It was not that Trip wanted to give up. He was suffering from the symptoms of heat stroke. I've experienced that also, and it is no fun. It is a potentially lethal condition.

I hate humid conditions. I lve in the south now, used to live in Philadelphia, PA, city conditions. Both are humid. I need some dry heat for a change. If I remember right the heat got to him and he suffed from heat stroke. That, I've been though myself.

...imo, it could be speculated he had been having a bad time about everything recently and this was a good chance for him to just give up. Similar to when Bones wanted to give up and die on the icy world of Rura Pentha.

I just watched Vox Sola and I believe I found evidence to support this statement. While Trip was incased in the creature he began to exhibit the same systems as was the case in Dessert Crossing, again it was only after Archer gave him emotional support and encouragement that Trip was able to calm down.

...imo, it could be speculated he had been having a bad time about everything recently and this was a good chance for him to just give up. Similar to when Bones wanted to give up and die on the icy world of Rura Pentha.

I just watched Vox Sola and I believe I found evidence to support this statement. While Trip was incased in the creature he began to exhibit the same systems as was the case in Dessert Crossing, again it was only after Archer gave him emotional support and encouragement that Trip was able to calm down.

Not the same symptoms...he got over-excited wanting to escape. In Desert Crossing he had heat stroke which is a real illness...and it is possible to be so sick that a coma sounds nice. I've watched Vox Sola several times and never got the impression Trip was the kind to lay down and die and the first sign of trouble. In Vox Sola Archer calmed him down from struggling against the lifeform. In a later scene he encouraged Archer about Archer drifting away.

In other episodes like Shuttlepod One Trip has been determined and resilient...he just doesn't like being sick. He wouldn't be the first person to whine when he didn't feel good. What suffers from most is inconsistent writers but they all have that malady.