Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

What if Janeway had been killed off?

What if the actress Kate Mulgrew wanted to leave the show, for whatever reason, to persue other acting careers? Janeway be killed off or abducted by the Q? Would she have "traveled to Earth" by a wormhole or something, then not be able to get back, thus being a guest star like Troi in the final seasons?

Personally, I would'a liked to see her get abducted by the Q! :lol:

Anywho, would Chakotay get promoted to Captain? Perhaps Chakotay would finally shine as a result? My next question is this... if this "cast change" had happened after Seven joined the cast... well... who would end up being the star of the show? Chakotay or Seven? :laugh:

If Janeway's character had ended on Voyager, I would have liked to see her "taken out" by the Borg, but not before she and Voyager had done significat damage to their collective, and capabilities. Of course Chakotay would have been bumped up to Captain, as he was second in comand. However, in my opinion Tuvok would have made a better captain, and he would have been more dynamic and comanded more respect. Now if this had happened after Seven joined the cast, I don't think anything would have changed. Her character, the role she played was a much more exciting, interesting character than was Chakotay's. So, I think she still would have received more attention than Chakotay.

What if the actress Kate Mulgrew wanted to leave the show, for whatever reason, to persue other acting careers?  Janeway be killed off or abducted by the Q?  Would she have "traveled to Earth" by a wormhole or something, then not be able to get back, thus being a guest star like Troi in the final seasons?

Personally, I would'a liked to see her get abducted by the Q! :lol:

Anywho, would Chakotay get promoted to Captain?  Perhaps Chakotay would finally shine as a result?  My next question is this...  if this "cast change" had happened after Seven joined the cast...  well...  who would end up being the star of the show?  Chakotay or Seven? :laugh:

IMO Seven had became the 'star' of the show in the end. Her character had more interest and individuality than any other in the show. Had Janeway been killed off, I think that they would have found a way to put a totally new Captain in the chair. Turning up just as Janeway leaves like Rudy Ransom did. Or via a wormhole or something easy like that. Chakotay, like Riker, was the First Officer alone.

I think it might have depended on when Janeway died. If she died after they were in contact with Starfleet again, there might have been some resistance from Starfleet about Chakotay being the Captain, since he was part of the Maquis.

I agree with Gotabite that Tuvok would have made a more interesting captain. Even though he is Vulcan, he seems to have more personality than Chakotay ever displayed.

:lol: This is a tough one. IMO, I think that, if no contact with Starfleet, than Chakotay would have taken the Captains place with Tuvok 2nd in command. If it was after they had made contact with Starfleet than ,Yes, Tuvok would have been put in the Captains place. Weither or not this latter placement would have caused problems for those that where Maquis and Chakotay remains to be seen (as the show is over). Seven, well , yes, she was put up front and would have remained there, all to draw attention to the show.

Stardate:213545.6

I think Seven would of became the "Star" of the show.However I do belive the command structure would of remained intact and Chakaota would of assumed command.

Very good question CJLP. Maybe that's what Voyager needed..a dramatic death of a senior staff member...too bad that would never have happend..Janeway was the first Female captain and therefore held alot of weight for Paramount by attracting more female viewers, killng her or getting her abducted wouldn't have played as a male captain got the chair.

you know, this is a pretty generic topic. you could use it for anything. what if data died in the first season instead of tasha? what if gene rodenberry hated star trek and only allowed the original series to be made? what if sisko when nuts and blew up the entire ds9 spacestation? see what i mean? lol.

anyways, if janeway wanted to leave, i would think they would have her assimilated and unlike riker, chakotay probably wouldnt take the risk to get her back. maybe they would be able to get her to do one last show: the series finale. she could try to stop them as a borg, and they would eventually blow her up inside the cube (or sphere).

but voyager is done and nothing like that happened. but yes, seven was the star by the end -- which i hated. i thought she was much to sterile and 'struggling with her human and borg side' to be interesting. they should have done more episodes where she DIDNT save the ship by herself (it seemed like she did that alot by the end).

If Janeway would of been killed off, their probally would not of been a Voyager searies cause she was the Captain..

The reason I like DS9 so much is that all the caracter (well, except maybe Jake) have their moments and are strongly developped.

In Voyager, with Janeway off... I feel like we got Seven remaining... Chakotay never really was developped, wouldn't do a strong Captain figure.

Honestly, like some said, Tuvok would probably made a better Captain than Chakotay.

But I don't think the serie could continue that way.. Imagine TOS without Kirk, TNG without Picard, DS9 without Sisko or Ent without Archer...

I don’t think you could take her out. One of the big things about VOY was the fact that a female was the caption. (And if she died, then the first officer would most likely take over)

On other series it might have worked, but for VOY I think it would be the least likely to happen/work.

But of course you can always speculate on what could happen . . .

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Well when Kes left, the producers found a way to bring on board another female character. I still feel that had Janeway been killed off, they would ahve found a new female Captain and got her on board. For example, on a fast track, one off torpedo, or through a micro worm hole or something. A very similar Janeway character sent to replacve Mulgrew. They can always make it possible with Trek. The balance wouldnt havebeen disturbed.

Well when Kes left, the producers found a way to bring on board another female character. I still feel that had Janeway been killed off, they would ahve found a new female Captain and got her on board. For example, on a fast track, one off torpedo, or through a micro worm hole or something. A very similar Janeway character sent to replacve Mulgrew. They can always make it possible with Trek. The balance wouldnt havebeen disturbed.

Actually, Seven was written into the show, then Kes was written out becuase they couldn't afford 10 characters. Anywho, yeah, good captain-replacement theory.

The intresting quetion to ask is, if Janeway had left VOY shortly after Seven joined, would Seven still be the same, intresting chracter? After all it as mostly Janeway and the Doctor who spearheaded her reutilization into human company, and I don't think that without the Captain's express backing (which might not happen if Janeway went) the Doctor would even bother. Maybe Seven ould have become a secondary character, appearing for a few shows before, with all her borg-ness intact, she manages to escape to a borg cube, alerting them of Voyager's presence. Cue borg-fighting story arc...

Heck, maybe they would have been able to bring Kes back shortly to counter-act the borg and to give her a proper send-off, something that I would have approved of...

Wow.That would have been a series killer.I don't think Tuvok/Tim Russ had the on-screen presence to be an effective commanding officer.Chakotay would have been great,but his Maquis background might have really put the Starfleet crewmembers at odds with the post-Janeway chain-of-command.And I don't see any of the other characters having the leadership skills necessary to sit in the center seat.So,my answer would be that nobody would have been able to command Voyager after Janeway died.

The only way I could see this work is if they had Janeway's sister, if she had one, was on board of VOY while the ship was abducted. Her sister could of had extensive strarfleet training and always tried her hardest to take command in some episodes, then when Janeway died the emotional element could take place.

Scene

(A Dieing Janeway:) Sarah (or whatever her sister's name would be), you know I always suspected to be the one who would die before you. (a little laughter, and a cough)

Sarah: Please, don't leave me, what about the ship? Who would take command?

Janeway: Well, I was thinking of someone who already tried on my shoes.

Sarah: Chakotay?

(They laugh)

Janeway: I need you to take command, I seen you in action before and know that you are perfect for the job... (another cough, somehow I always seen tv people when they die cough)

Sarah: Please, don't die...

(she feels a lifeless hand and it drops to the floor, emotional music is played and then dynamic music, we see Chakotay near the doorway of the medical room. She gently places her sisters hand on her stomach.)

Sarah (tells the doctor): Place her in stasis. (Presses the com badge)

Tom: Yes... ?

Sarah: Set a course to home, Tom, the place where my sister always wanted to be, we will not send off her corpse in this dam* place, not while I am captain.

(As Sarah and Chakotay walk out of the medical room, the lights dim and the camera zooms in on the cold death look of Captain Janeway, first female captain of the Starship Voyager)

:bow: Bel Ami :)