Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

A difficult question to ponder....

Okay, I talked to Gary tonight, and he says he's going to get back into playing Semi-Pro football. Now, he posed a question to me. He asked if I wished to go with him. The difficult part is, Will it be easy to transition from being a Coach to a Player? I've spent two years as a coach, and haven't even PLAYED for an organised team since I was 17. Would you do it if you were me? It might mean I'd have to give up coaching to do it, and it would be something I would need to consider very carefully before doing.

I'm not much of a football player, but my advice is to get some friends together, play a few games for fun, and see how your body handles it. Then make your determination off of that.

Edited by wishfire

I guess I would consider, what if you get hurt playing, is your love of the game worth the risk of, potentially, serious injury, that you might have to cope with for the rest of your life? Are there monetary awards that make up for the risk? Does your family want you to try this? Those would be my concerns, if it were me.

I'd play if I could. You can only play for so long before you get too old and your body can't take the pounding but you can always coach.

:laugh: has a point, Jim.

Is there a way you could get a personal trainer, who could work with you and give you a true assessment as to what kind of shape you are in, and how long and at what cost it would take you to get into shape for semi-pro athletics, which is far more intense than a few pick-up games?

I think one of the most important parts of the question is your physical condition.

I think you won't have much problem participating in a team sport, even if you haven't done so since you were 17, since you have been coaching and been in the military.

I echo the above questions about making sure you understand the impact on your young family, including finances, and emotional commitment.

Thank you, everyone for your input. I suppose the biggest question I need to know is would I have to quit coaching. If I could coach and play at the same time, I would jump at the chance. I did talk to the Head Coach today, and he said he wouldn't object if I had the opportunity to play, and I went. I'll be contacting the local Semi-Pro team and asking basic questions about practice schedules and games.

Also, I'm going to be doing some wieght training testing this week with our team's Defensive Coordinator, who also runs the Strength and Conditioning program for the players. We'll see how that goes.

Okay, I talked to Gary tonight, and he says he's going to get back into playing Semi-Pro football. Now, he posed a question to me. He asked if I wished to go with him. The difficult part is, Will it be easy to transition from being a Coach to a Player? I've spent two years as a coach, and haven't even PLAYED for an organised team since I was 17. Would you do it if you were me? It might mean I'd have to give up coaching to do it, and it would be something I would need to consider very carefully before doing.

I'd say no. One simple reason: my Father. My Father played for the Sooners nack in the late sixties and even went to the Orange Bowl in 1968. He had a chance to coach but instead kept playing and ended up with some nasty injuries. He is now 60 and has suffered his whole life with two bad knees and a bad sholder. His neck troubles him sometimes and he is in constant physical pain...he eats Motrine like tic tacs. Playing can be fun, but the risk of permanent injury to me would far outweigh all other considerations...and players all have a shelf life...coaches don't as long as they win.

It's now or never for me, Validus. I didn't play in College, since I was doing distance learning.

By the way, I did some basic tests, ran the 40 yard dash in 4.47, benched the 225 16 times, and pulled 36 on the vertical. Practices, from my understanding, are Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 5, starting in may. the season is 10 weeks. I am seriously considering trying out.

Oh, and I talked to my 'Boss', the Defensive Coordinator, he said with those results, Corner or Free Safety would be good possitions.

Well, folks, My Doctor made the decision for me last week. (THis will also explain why a TEACHER, ME, has been online this week during school hours.) I had shoulder surgery this past monday, to repair some damage I did when trying to show my players how NOT to lift wieghts. I asked the Doctor if I would be able to play football, he said "No. Not a chance in hell."

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing".

Get out and do it, dude!

["dude" is like a speech habit. stops me from swearing in some cases]

Sorry to hear that your injury will prevent you from trying semi-pro ball, Jim. At least you still have coaching. Good luck with rehabbing your shoulder. Try not to overdo it too soon.

Well, while Jim has been dealing with his shoulder, I did try out. and didn't make it, unfortunately. too small to play Fullback, but too big to play Halfback, and not fast enough to play Linebacker.