Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Five Emmy Nominations for Enterprise

Credit to StarTrek.com

07.17.03 Five Emmy Nominations for Enterprise

Matching its tally from last year, Enterprise earned five nominations in its second season for the 55th Annual Emmy Awards announced this morning, but three of those nominations are in the same category.

"Dead Stop," "The Crossing" and the season finale "The Expanse" were three of the five nominees in the category Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Series, with the entire VFX teams headed by Dan Curry, Ronald B. Moore and Mitch Suskin named (see full lists below). Last year Enterprise had two nominations in that category, and the series pilot "Broken Bow" ended up winning (related story). This year the only competition is from Joss Whedon-produced shows: UPN's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Fox's Firefly.

Another repeat nomination is in Outstanding Makeup For A Series (Prosthetic), for "Canamar." Michael Westmore's team of 16 makeup artists were all named. Among the competitors in this category is HBO's Six Feet Under, which beat Enterprise last year.

Finally, Dennis McCarthy's score for "The Expanse" is vying for the Emmy in Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Dramatic Underscore). He is competing against composers for The Agency, JAG, Odyssey 5 and 24. This is McCarthy's seventh Emmy nomination on behalf of Star Trek, and if he triumphs, it would be his second time — in 1993 he won for the main title theme music for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Last year the Enterprise episode "Two Days and Two Nights" won Outstanding Hairstyling For A Series, but the show has no nominations in that category this time.

These technical categories will be part of the Creative Arts Awards presentation Saturday, September 13 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. The main Emmy Awards show will take place Sunday, September 21, and will be broadcast live on Fox.

In the acting categories, as usual there were a number of Star Trek veterans recognized. From "Star Trek: First Contact," both James Cromwell ("Zefram Cochrane") and Alfre Woodard ("Lily Sloane") were nominated — Cromwell for Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series for a spot on Six Feet Under, and Woodard for Outstanding Guest Actress In A Drama Series for The Practice. The list wouldn't be complete without Kim Cattrall ("Valeris" in "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country"), recognized again for HBO's Sex And The City in the category Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series. But there's an interesting omission this year: no Kelsey Grammer!

All the Enterprise nominees are as follows:

Outstanding Makeup For A Series (Prosthetic):

"Canamar"

Michael Westmore, Makeup Designer and Supervisor

Suzanne Diaz-Westmore, Makeup Artist

Bradley M. Look, Makeup Artist

Jeff Lewis, Makeup Artist

Earl Ellis, Makeup Artist

Michael Burnett, Makeup Artist

Joe Podnar, Makeup Artist

Todd McIntosh, Makeup Artist

Barry Koper, Makeup Artist

Art Anthony, Makeup Artist

Robert Maverick, Makeup Artist

Steven Anderson, Makeup Artist

Debbie Zoller, Makeup Artist

Judith Silverman, Makeup Artist

Roxy D'Alonzo, Makeup Artist

Ruth Haney, Makeup Artist

Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Dramatic Underscore):

"The Expanse"

Dennis McCarthy, Music By

Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Series (3):

"Dead Stop"

Mitch Suskin, Visual Effects Supervisor

Art Codron, Visual Effects Coordinator

Steve Fong, Visual Effects Compositor

Greg Rainoff, Visual Effects Animator

Robert Bonchune, CGI Supervisor

Pierre Drolet, Lead Modeler

Sean Scott, CGI Artist

John Teska, CGI Artist

Koji Kuramura, CGI Artist

"The Crossing"

Dan Curry, Visual Effects Producer

Ronald B. Moore, Visual Effects Supervisor

Armen Kevorkian, Visual Effects Coordinator

Paul Hill, Visual Effects Artist

David Morton, Digital Effects Supervisor

John M. Teska, Visual Effects Animator

Sean Scott, Visual Effects Animator

Pierre M. Drolet, Lead Modeler

"The Expanse"

Dan Curry, Visual Effects Producer

Ronald B. Moore, Visual Effects Supervisor

Elizabeth Castro, Visual Effects Coordinator

Paul Hill, Visual Effects Compositor

Fred Pienkos, CG Animation Supervisor

Greg Rainoff, Visual Effects Animator

Sean Scott, CG Animator

Eric Hance, CG Animator

Bruce Branit, CG Animation Supervisor

Well, I don’t see it as really good news because we don’t have any nominations in categories like story or acting. Technical nominations are good, but the heart of a show is the story and is the acting. And from my view the show does not follow through on that.

But even TNG never really got recognized that much on the story or acting line

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I agree MQ but I think that will soon change. (Hopefully) the Temporal War arc will become the most original arc being told on any sci-fi TV show. As long as they stay away from the magic reset button and use the arc in ways fans will remain interested in, (for me that means exploring all possible consequences of time travel, not just stories based on current temporal theories) also, imo ENT has a fine ensemble cast, if the ptb use them in ways that are true to the traditions of Trek or better, ENT Emmys will happen. crosses fingers :lol:

I agree MQ but I think that will soon change. (Hopefully) the Temporal War arc will become the most original arc being told on any sci-fi TV show. As long as they stay away from the magic reset button and use the arc in ways fans will remain interested in, (for me that means exploring all possible consequences of time travel, not just stories based on current temporal theories) also, imo ENT has a fine ensemble cast, if the ptb use them in ways that are true to the traditions of Trek or better, ENT Emmys will happen. crosses fingers :lol:

I agree, hopefully it will change and ENT will get much better and will get those awards.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I am looking forward to next year. Hopefully the series will have some strong writing and the acting will stand out.

I am looking forward to next year. Hopefully the series will have some strong writing and the acting will stand out.

55202[/snapback]

I feel pretty confident that the Emmy nominations will somehow increase the standard of the show, somehow motivate them to do better. But I would also definitely love some more strong writing and acting. :)

go Enterprise, but you are right that the technical emmy's arent the bees knees, after all why does it only get a 2 hour (instead of 4 hour) show on a different network to the "real" emmys?

who knows!

HERE'S a page explaining which Emmys ENT did end up taking. (in case you hadn't heard)

I've been looking over the production reports for the next 7 new episodes and wow, Emmys for ENT in more relevant areas are sure to be in the future, these upcoming stories are going to blow the lid off!