Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

Was Garak Bi-Sexual

I heard this was being thrown around to make him that way on DS9 and I can see why. I think its more obvious with garek in DS9 then 7of9 in Voy

I don't think Garek was gay. I think his mannerisms were his way of keeping his real occupation secret from others.

Who knows?

It's difficult to attribute human mannerisms and motivations on aliens like Cardassians.

There are so many variables and differences. Cardassian flirting for one. They show contempt and scorn toward someone they are interested in....that's an odd one.

So if Garak at times seemed gay (and I'm not convinced I ever saw him behaving in any manner I would call "gay"), it's entirely possible we are reading too much into his Cardassian behavior, or misinterpreting him.

I know Andrew Robinson made some comments that seemed to hint that Garak was bi-sexual. But I've yet to find the Star Trek actor that didn't say that their character wasn't either gay or bi, or that they wanted to see such a character in Trek. So I don't really use Robinson's comments to confirm or deny Garak's orientation.

Personally, how a guy could live on DS9 and not be attracted to Kira, Jadzia, Leeta or the other women there is beyond me.....but that's just me. B)

Was there ever an episode where Garak was linked to a romantic relationship with a member of the same sex? We know he had a relationship with a member of the opposite sex, so if there is an episode that shows a relationship with a member of the same sex then yes he was. If there isn't then No he wasn't.

As with anything else in the Trek universe if it wasn't in an episode or movie then it wasn't "real".

Garak (mirror) may be bi-sexual (or homosexual). Doesn't he offer Worf (mirror) sexual favours in one episode? I've never seen that episode, but I've read that.

I'm bisexual. I don't go hitting on chicks all the time and i don't always make it as obvious as some men do. BI POWER!!!!

please note that this post was not ment offend anyone, i am sorry if it does but these are my views and i am entitled to free speach. ty

Edited by jadziaezri

I just think it would be good for the Star Trek Universe to explore a main character with an alternative lifestyle, you have not seen that yet, and with how evolve the Human race is suppose to be by then, to see if they can tolerate it or if some bias still remains

Does it really matter. Why should another spieces live to standards that we have here?

I just think it would be good for the Star Trek Universe to explore a main character with an alternative lifestyle, you have not seen that yet, and with how evolve the Human race is suppose to be by then, to see if they can tolerate it or if some bias still remains

I'm guessing you mean "evolve" in the metaphorical sense because I'm not sure that changing mores or social constructs are a matter of genetic evolution.

And this has become my biggest "issue" with the ST vision of the future - IMO human personality hasn't changed since we've been recording history so I'm not sure why anyone thinks it will change in the next 200 years.

And this has become my biggest "issue" with the ST vision of the future - IMO human personality hasn't changed since we've been recording history so I'm not sure why anyone thinks it will change in the next 200 years.

I think it is most likely based upon the fact that in the Star Trek Universe, humanity nearly destroyed itself in WWIII combined with finding out that they're not alone in the universe. Those are two major revelations in a very short period of time. People realized that A. the people around them we're so different and B. intolerance nearly destroyed them all. Basically a swift kick to humanity's collective head (something that I believe is desperately needed and probably inevitable in some shape or form).

Well this is getting off topic but we've had world wars before - the first one was the War to End All Wars - the fact that there was a WWII is pretty good evidence that wars don't don't really change people.

As to what causes war? I've never heard it characterized as "intolerance"; war usually has a lot to do with some combination of economics, greed and the desire for power and/or natural resources.

Now sort of back on topic - I think Garek had affection for Zayel (sp). Could he have had sex with someone of his same gender? My personal opinion is that anyone can have sex with anyone - it's just a matter of what circumstances you're willing to put yourself into - so I'm not sure the term "bi-sexual" really means anything.

Now, people can have personal mores (standards) that direct what circumstances they put themselves into and hence who they will have sex with. Having personal opinions about the morality of any sexual activity isn't intolerance - it's a difference of opinion. Now, trying to force those opinons on others may be intolerance - but then so is saying that people can't have different opinions. So maybe a truly tolerant society isn't what any of us think it will be.

edited to add this

***figured I'd better add a little explanation - by saying anyone can have sex with anyone I don't mean there aren't people that are born with a "natural" attraction to a specific gender but "natural" heteros can have same sex encounters and "natural" homosexuals can have hetero sex encounters.****

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

Garak (mirror) may be bi-sexual (or homosexual). Doesn't he offer Worf (mirror) sexual favours in one episode? I've never seen that episode, but I've read that.

Nah. Worf would've killed him.

Remember how disgusted Worf looked on TNG when he learned about Riker's relationship with a J'Nai? He went positively green (for a Klingon). Even Mirror Worf.

four letters for you guys

i.d.i.c

infinite diversity in infinite combinations, think about it

Edited by jadziaezri

Don't tell me, tell Worf. :laugh:

Besides.

I don't believe in I.D.I.C.

I.D.I.C. is a secular humanist concept.

Interesting, I for one believe that we should be able to have relationships with whomever we want.

Aslong as it's human!!!!!!

I think that saying otherwise is just being hypocritical.

for example

Edited by ddillard

I read that Gene Roddenberry had always wanted to explore a homosexual relationship on Star Trek. Problem was, he died before he could, and he was in the middle of vetoing Deep Space Nine. So the actors who played Julian and Garak "played up" a homosexual angle as a sort of homage, but Julian is supposed to be straight and if Andrew says he played a bisexual, then by all means, Garak was bisexual.

Also, and sorry it's off-topic...we just can't forget the Julian/O'Brien bromance. When O'Brien stops himself from saying he wishes his wife was more like Julian, or when Julian boldly admits that while he loves Ezri, he likes O'Brien "a bit more", Dabo Queen and I just can't stop laughing.

My understanding about any character on star trek was that if it wasn't specifically mentioned in an ep, then it wasn't considered part of canon by the powers that be at Paramount. However, based on remarks made by Bashir, I think it is safe to assume that he was either gay or bi-sexual and possibly O'Brien and Garak were as well. We may never know.

I don't think that Garek or Bashir were gay or bi-sexual in any way. Bashir banged many women on DS9, including Leeta and Ezri. Garek fell in love with Dukat's daughter. As for Bashir and O'Brien, they were best friends, not lovers.

I don't think that Garek or Bashir were gay or bi-sexual in any way. Bashir banged many women on DS9, including Leeta and Ezri. Garek fell in love with Dukat's daughter. As for Bashir and O'Brien, they were best friends, not lovers.

I get that the characters in actuality were straight. But straight men don't flirt with one another on a regular basis.

Thats a good point. If only Garak had better taste than Bashir :lol: :lol:

Oh honey...that gives Garak the BEST taste on DS-9. All he needs to do is tune Julian out when he talks. :look:

huh, I never considered that. :look: Perhaps, you're right, but then again I was always about Leeta. How could Julian pass her up? that just seems like more evidence that maybe Garak or O'Brien were more than friends?

huh, I never considered that. :lol: Perhaps, you're right, but then again I was always about Leeta. How could Julian pass her up? that just seems like more evidence that maybe Garak or O'Brien were more than friends?

At least Rom knew when to hit it and when to quit it as far as Leeta was concerned...and Dr. Zimmerman, for that matter. :look: