Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

John Spencer 1946-2005

Actor John Spencer, best known for his roles as Chief of Staff/Vice-Presidential Candidate Leo McGarry on the West Wing and lawyer Tommy Mullaney on L.A. Law, has passed away of a heart attack at age 58.

This is very sad and unexpected. I haven't watched the West Wing for long but Spencer was always great. He was currently running as Democratic candidate Matthew Santos' running mate, so it will be interesting to see how they deal with his death. Ironically, McGarry (Spencer) suffered a heart attck in the first episode of the West Wing's 6th season.

Here is a link to the ABC article on Spencer's death:

'West Wing' Actor John Spencer Dies at 58

This is very sad. I've watched West Wing for years (although I'm not up on the two recent seasons - I'm waiting for the DVD's), and respect the actors for their dedication and talent.

Very sad and unexpected news! I watched and enjoyed him on L.A. Law and have loved his performances on The West Wing. He also appeared as noted in a number of movies. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

It will be very interesting to see how they handle his death on The West Wing, considering that his character is running for Vice President with Matt Santos. Lots of times on afternoon Soap opera shows they end up doing big clip shows when a veteran actor or actress dies. Perhaps though they will handle it totally differently.

Very sad and unexpected news! I watched and enjoyed him on L.A. Law and have loved his performances on The West Wing. He also appeared as noted in a number of movies. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

It will be very interesting to see how they handle his death on The West Wing, considering that his character is running for Vice President with Matt Santos. Lots of times on afternoon Soap opera shows they end up doing big clip shows when a veteran actor or actress dies. Perhaps though they will handle it totally differently.

I think they may have to kill him off on the West Wing. Start a few days after his death and start with a news broadcast saying the whole country is in shock after the sudden death of Santos running mate, Leo McGarry. It remains to be seen how Santos and the Democrats will overcome these difficult circumstances. There have been a lot of rumours about Rob Lowe returning, this may be a good way to work him in there, a Santos-Seaborn ticket.

Or some others have suggested having Pennsylvania governor Ed Baker (Ed O'Neill) who Santos did consider and was nearly the Democratic candidate, could become the new running mate.