Sign in to follow this  
youbroughtheryouRiker

Christmas Radio 2005

Let's face it, radio stations at Christmas time get a little, shall we say, bonkers. The types of songs you will encounter break down into four categories, and for the sake of fun, we go by the marriage rule: something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

Something old: Last year, radio stations went with a lot of the "something blue" type songs, which I'll explain later. This year, the classics have REALLY resurged. "White Christmas" from Bing, Nat's "Christmas Song," Bobby's "Jingle Bell Rock," Leroy's "Sleigh Ride," Brenda's "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree" and such are big on the playlists this year. Also, a lot of modern standards too, such as Band-Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas?" Unfortunately, these stand the biggest chance that you'll get sick of them, too. As much as I love "Jingle Bell Rock" there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Don't fall into this easy trap.

Something new: Lot of relatively new songs creeping up. "Where Are You Christmas" from Faith Hill, "I Believe In Father Christmas" from Greg Lake, contemporary Christian superstar Steven Curtis Chapman's "Christmas Is All In The Heart", Celine's "Don't Save It All For Christmas" and a number of duets featuring pianist Jim Brickman. These are mostly annoying, which makes the something old trap that much easier. Nonetheless, they make good aural padding when needed.

Something borrowed: Two categories for this. The first include your club deejay type remixes of classics. Andy Williams turned into a club remix via a rhythmic backbeat. Needless to say, while they initially amuse, the arching of the eyebrow will be inevitable. Secondly, (relatively) new covers of classics. Martina McBride does a masterful version of "O Holy Night." I'm not a fan of Martina, but she lays this one down splendidly. American Idol finalist Kimberly Locke gets some special props as well, for her version of "Up On The Housetop." I have never ever heard a pop artist include this song in their canon, so kudos to her for digging this one up, except for the fact she turned it into a reggae-type song. That part sucks. Also, Diana Krall's "Jingle Bells", Barenaked Ladies teaming up with Sarah McLachlan on a combo, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings Of Orient Are." These are probably the ones that should be embraced most, as they keep some of the classics from getting annoying. As much of a travesty as some of them are, they still might prove a valuable key to prevent hating holiday music altogether by the time Christmas actually arrives.

Something blue: The sad Christmas songs. Last year, radio went way too heavy with them. Elvis's "Blue Christmas" bore a lot of the brunt, but there was enough to go around. We also have Anne Cochran's "Someone Is Missing This Christmas." This is a bizarre category in that when they're good, they're good. When they stink, they can overpower a dead skunk. Traverse with trepidation.

My hot tips: There are two major avenues oft not driven here: classical renditions and novelties. Classical renditions, unless you listen to NPR and classical stations, are never big. They are a particulary effective tool, though. Novelties: aside from the "Chipmunk Song," "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas," and "The Twelve Pains Of Christmas," don't look for much in the way of silly songs. Have yourself a silly season. Go crazy to keep your sanity.

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.

Hey, have you heard Lonestar's version of "Little Drummer Boy"? That should be the requisite version of that song.

I've already heard several versions of the song, and I think that one as well. But I generally loathe Lonestar, as well.