Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Braga Is Sorry He Didn't Listen More To Fans

Almost makes me feel sorry for the little weasel. Almost.

Yes. Almost. Some people told President Lincoln not to go to the theater too. He didn't take their advice either. In his case it cost him his life and the nation a great leader. In Braga's case, it meant the death of a long time tv franchise. A much smaller tragedy, but a tragedy nonetheless.

Because Braga was not a fan of TOS, he had no respect for the history of Trek, and yet, Berman raised him to the upper echelon of the TNG bunch. So many others were more deserving and, I believe, would have done a better job.

This is just my perception of what occured and most interviews and articles that I have read seem to support this view. His personality grates on my nerves any time I've seen him interviewed, especially on the special features of the TNG DVDs.

That's it for me, I don't know about anyone else.

Personally speaking for me listening to fans was never an issue - if they had done a show which was especially for the millions of Star Trek fans rather than chase after people who never watched Star Trek of science fiction then in all probability it would never have been cancelled and we would still be watching it today.

Instead what we got was a show that was not watched by its fan-base and avoided by the other viewers it was after.

The result was that viewing figures went into freefall - if it started with 12 million viewers why did the figures not remain about the same at the end of season 4 ?

Why did they drop to around 3.5 million by the end ?

If these figures were plotted onto a graph showing viewing figures at the beginning and end of each season - then they must have known the graph would point downwards - why was something not done earlier - say at the end of season 2 ?

If all of this was known by the likes of Braga, Berman and Paramount then what was done to fix all of this ?

I doubt if anyone will ever answer these questions as both B & B have disappeared and are not even willing to visit conventions knowing what the fan response will be to them

I don't know about that. By focusing on themes that would appeal to a mass audience TNG was able to pull people into Trekdom who otherwise wouldn't have been caught dead watching it. Trek's audience was at it's highest point ever during the last season of TNG and had been waining since.

The reason TNG was successful and the later shows were not was that TNG didn't go for the gimicks the other shows did. Even though it sought a mass audience it also didn't dilute it's base.

true, ratings were falling ever since the end of TNG, and it just happened to be that ENT was last. So, it would have been Voyager cancelled if the two switched. And then there are people like me that couldn't watch it because they don't have UPN. It was on the wrong network.

if they had done a show which was especially for the millions of Star Trek fans rather than chase after people who never watched Star Trek of science fiction then in all probability it would never have been cancelled and we would still be watching it today.

Instead what we got was a show that was not watched by its fan-base and avoided by the other viewers it was after.

I doubt if anyone will ever answer these questions as both B & B have disappeared and are not even willing to visit conventions knowing what the fan response will be to them

I agree that they seemed to concentrate on appealing to non Star Trek fans to the detriment of keeping some traditional Star Trek fans. Some people who I knew who stopped watchig Enterprise (females in particular) were put off by T'Pol (and her cat suit), and not that attracted to some of the other characters because their characters either were not that developed or not that interesting in their opinions. The fact that they bent some of the previous canon did not please me. I did think the last two years improved and that they deserved at least another year more.

Your convention question is right on. Braga was scheduled to appear at the Las Vegas con this summer but did not show. Fans I talked to were luke- warm or very curious as to how he would be recieved. I was very disappointed to not hear his "side" of things, and I think less of him for his decision not to appear. Even if he had been booed a bit, I believe the audience would have been willing to listen to his opinions, ideas and feelings and that it could have led to more understanding. Sadly it seems to only have resulted in confirming the opinions of some who strongly criticize B and B.