Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Is Star Trek going to die out?

Is Star Trek going to die out? Is there no hope? In ten years time is it going to be like another X Files just no more creative input, an aging fan base?

It's a 40 year old franchise that has over 700 episodes and 10 feature films (and countless books and games), it's not going to die out. As far as new movies or episodes go it may "take a nap" but it's not going to die.

Star Trek will never die. Even though there are no movies or shows on now, books and games are being published and made every month. Like VBG said, how can something that has so many episodes die and fade away? Just like you discovered Star Trek someone else will today and tomorrow and the fanbase just grows and grows.

There are some things that will never die out like Star Trek, Elvis, the Beatles and Hitchcock movies.

Star Trek is taking a break for a few years but it'll be back.

If it’s gone for a long time, people will forget it. This “nap” people clam fixes all problems will probably kill Trek, or at lest kill it as we know it.

First of all, Star Trek went off TV in what, 1968 or 1969? Then 10 years later in 1979 the first movie came out. Then after the movies, it wasn't until 1987 that the next series came out, almost 20 years after the original series ended. Since then we've had FOUR series. So what if Star Trek takes a 20 year nap and comes back? It's done it before, it can do it again.

Second, before she met me, my girlfriend hadn't seen any Star Wars movies, she hadn't seen anything Star Trek, and she hadn't seen Stargate. We met online, and I've visited twice, now moved out here to be with her. The last time I visited I took her to Star Wars III in the theater - she saw I and II on her own. When I moved out here we watched the original trilogy together. I've since bought Stargate and showed her that. And we're committed to watching Star Treks TNG, DS9, and Voyager straight through and chronologically, and then the latter nine movies (I hated the original, and it contributed nothing to the Trek universe, far as I'm concerned). Now she loves Star Wars, liked Stargate, and she's really digging TNG. And in a few years, I'm sure she'll be a Niner when we get through DS9.

And one of my favorite cousins, she's 13 now... just getting into Star Wars with the new trilogy, so I sent her the original trilogy on DVD. I doubt she'll get into Star Trek anytime soon, especially since she's on the other side of the country, but I do know MY kids will be raised on Trek. They'll both/all see all of TNG, DS9, and Voyager. Far as I'm concerned, Trek is pretty timeless. The first season of TNG is kinda hokey, but it's watchable, and those three series are classics, from where I sit. The movies aren't bad either. I don't even read the books (though I've read a couple)... I don't need them, or the games. The series and latter 9 movies are plenty for me.

Star Trek will survive. As long as fans are still willing to support it there will always will be Star Trek! :lol:

First of all, Star Trek went off TV in what, 1968 or 1969? Then 10 years later in 1979 the first movie came out. Then after the movies, it wasn't until 1987 that the next series came out, almost 20 years after the original series ended. Since then we've had FOUR series. So what if Star Trek takes a 20 year nap and comes back? It's done it before, it can do it again.

It came back totally changed. I for one am not fallowing a Trek that comes out in 20 years if it redefines everything I liked about Trek to make it more ‘user friendly’ to the main stream.

When TMP came out Trek was lucky it had fans that were not really concerned with TOS as much as trek itself, but with much more Trek now, I for one think the canon of large number of ‘old’ Treks will take precedence, killing any new Trek for the die-hard fans.

I doubt it will die. I think about it every day, even without going here. As long as there are young, vibrant Trekkers, Star Trek will live.

It's a 40 year old franchise that has over 700 episodes and 10 feature films (and countless books and games), it's not going to die out.

I agree, it will not die out.

Well actually it very well can in one way, and I believe in one way only. That all of us, turn our backs on it and deny it. Completely removing ourselves as a whole group, every last one of us... even removing words that were placed in our vocabularies by the franchise, or turning in our cell phones and other items that have been inspired by Trek related devices. All Trek references being removed from shows, including series like Family Guy, Futurama, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and all of the other tv shows and movies we all have listed in countless threads. Or if not removing the references already on them, then turning our backs on those series and films as well. Not to mention all the children who will have to be renamed because they were named after or similar to a character of Trek... oh and pets as well. There cannot be someone named James Tiberius, or a cat named Jadzia. Just can't if you want to see Trek fade away out of existence. And somehow removing Trek will lessen the thunder of Star Wars as well, leading to its possible demise.

Do any of you EVER see this happening??? I sure as well do not. Because I for one, will not completely remove myself from being a fan. And if I feel this way, I am sure there are countless others of varying degree of fandom of the franchise who would quickly echo that sentiment.

I agree as long there are fans there Star Trek will no die. :biggrin: