Sign in to follow this  
Yillara Skye

Caunterbury tales

Caunterbury Tales

In my Senior year I took a dual enrollment course(for college credit as well as fulfilling my Senior HS English requirement) and we had to memorize the beginning of the Tales in Middle English! We found out that the other(non-college credit) classes had to do this too.. How many others had to???

I had fun with this, since I like languages..and Middle English, like a few other languages has a bit of a musical quality to it. So many of my classmates struggled with it...but this was fun(Side note, I already had been exposed to middle English since I had the CD of Fresh Aire VII by Mannheim Steamroller. Chakra 5 was a vocal track and the song is sung in Middle English...which I loved to sing.)

So, feel free to share comments or gripes about this piece of literature, or anything you'd like!!!

:biggrin: :grin:Almost spit out my monthful of bbq spareribs. Bad enough I have problems with plain old English let alone that. :grin:

Just the first 20 or so lines in High School, I still remember the first four....and swatches of the other.  I can't say what purpose it served to tdo this.

True, like a lot of stuff they make us remember!! Loved reading this, still remember it, but really has no purpose i think..

Had to read the Caunterbury Tales in a college British Lit course. Fortunately we didn't have to memorize anything. I did enjoy reading the Tales in the Middle English once I got used to it.

I was never forced to memorize it, but I've read it enough that I do have that portion committed to

memory. The same is true for Hamlet.

I had to be able to read it for my History of the English Language classes in college. AND translate modern documents into Middle English. It's fun - like figuring out a puzzle!

I think The Canterbury Tales are relevant to today. Drastically different people learning to get along, having to work together toward a common goal. The great age of storytelling. Learning it in Middle English - if you're in an Advanced Class or College, yes. Otherwise, it's an interesting side note, a language lesson, or something to do for extra credit.

We are what we were.