Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Riker vs. Viceroy

I saw a thread on this topic on another board, so I thought we could discuss it as well. :laugh:

As I was reading over there, it never occured to me that Riker was going after him for revenge, because of what the Viceroy did to his wife more than trying to stop the bad alien, know what I mean? Personally, I loved the fight sequance. My only complaint is that we didn't get to see "more" of them fighting. I think that extending the scene with them strugling on the catwalk would'a been great. :lol:

Wasn't that the "invasion" on deck 29 (the famous mistake in Nemesis because ENT-E only has 24 decks) ???

Anyway. I liked the fight scene very much, it was some kind of... dark but amazing.

I understood Riker's reaction, Viceroy did something VERY, VERY bad to Deanna and Riker wanted revenge...

Mrs. Captain Picard

To expand on Mrs. Picard's point, the Remans had boarded the Enterprsie and Riker had taken a team to stop them. Riker saw the Viceroy slip off and he followed. I also agree with his motivations, his wife had just been attacked in the worst possible way, so soon after they had gotten married. I don't blame him for wanting revenge!

I liked the fight scene..and the motives were already explained above...so no sense in repeating what was so wonderfully explained by Trekkiemage and Mrs.Picard(great job you two! :laugh: ).

However, I liked the line in the novel, and kinda wanted to hear it in the movie. Right as Riker finally rids himself of the Viceroy, he says something akin to "Hell is dark"(I dont have the book with me right now, but that is just an idea...)

i kind of liked the scene, and i kind of didnt. i like how riker gets revenge for the viceroy's 'sin' but i didnt think the scene was all that interesting. just some punching and some walking and holding back knives. since the big ship fight was so interesting on such a huge scale, i though the fight scene didnt keep the pace of the movie. but, it was necessary. i like the scene, but i just dont think it was intense enough for that part of the movie.

One I thought the fight scene was okay but I think the Viceroy should have been harder to beat because I thought Remans were about as strong as Vulcans. Two I think the Remans should have invaded Enterprise with a larger force 15 or 20 troops invading a ship of over 500 is crazy.

One I thought the fight scene was okay but I think the Viceroy should have been harder to beat because I thought Remans were about as strong as Vulcans.  Two I think the Remans should have invaded Enterprise with a larger force 15 or 20 troops invading a ship of over 500 is crazy.

You have a point...I always wondered this about any movie where a ship is invaded.. why do they thing 5, 10, 15 people could ever overpower a ship with,heck, even 100 people on it...

However, I liked the line in the novel, and kinda wanted to hear it in the movie. Right as Riker finally rids himself of the Viceroy, he says something akin to "Hell is dark"(I dont have the book with me right now, but that is just an idea...)

That line about the Viceroy liking hell because it's dark was cut from the movie. I know I saw a clip from the movie before it was released where it was said but it was a victim of the cuts. I haven't read the novel so I know I'm not thinking of it from there.

I thought the fight scene was fine the way it was. It wasn't too long or too short in my opinion and I do agree that Riker did have some revenge motives when fighting the Viceroy although I think he would have gone after any Reman who had left the main group like that.

Stardate:213537.7

I was kinda dissappointed in the fight scene.I read the script to the movie before I went and seen it and they left alot of the fight out of the movie.

Ah, well, I didn't like it too much. I don't think it had any point in the movie. It was unrelated to the whole plot. I never even thought of the fact of revenge before I read the opinions here. I just thought Riker was chasing after a runaway trespasser. And at the end, Mr. Viceroy fell down a big hole. That just reminded me too much of Star Wars. Star Wars is the one with people falling down huge holes that are badly placed.

I was kinda dissappointed in the fight scene.I read the script to the movie before I went and seen it and they left alot of the fight out of the movie.

If you hadn't read the script, would you still have enjoyed the movie?

Well, the fight scene was okay.

I think I liked it

But I felt it was placed there as sole purpose of putting some action for Riker around.

And yes, after reading your post and reseing the scene, you are right about the revenge about Diana and all.

But well...

Well, Worf has seen action in the movies. Picard allways seems to end up a Bruce Willis style action hero... :laugh: That leaves Riker, who's either on the Enterprise or the planet. This time, he finally got to kick butt, and I think that was the main purpose of the scene, so in that aspect, I thoroughly enjoyed it. My only complaint was that it was too short.

If you hadn't read the script, would you still have enjoyed the movie?

Stardate:213537.9

Hmmmmm Well I probably would have enjoyed it a little more but my overall opinion of the movie wouldnt of changed.They left so much out of the movie that was in the original script.I know they have to shorten and edit it but they could of left so of the stuff in.

What if you hadn't read any of the script? Would you still enjoy it? I read lots of the script, spoilers, and so forth. As a result, the movie was a bit of a let down in the theater. When I got the DVD, I decided to re-watch as just an action-packed Trek movie. When I re-watched it on DVD with that mentallity, I thought it rocked, and still do.

I guess it just depends on what you expected. :laugh:

Well, Worf has seen action in the movies.  Picard allways seems to end up a Bruce Willis style action hero... ;) That leaves Riker, who's either on the Enterprise or the planet.  This time, he finally got to kick butt, and I think that was the main purpose of the scene, so in that aspect, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  My only complaint was that it was too short.

:o I have to agree with CJLP. He finally gets some action. I liked that scene, because of the way it was put together. It made me mad that Viceroy did that to Deanna Trio. :bow: