Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

A College Class About Star Trek?

Yes I read the article very interesting indeed considering u have 750 hours of Trek to use as Source Material(5 series-10 movies)at that College in Illinios.

:( :lol: :( :(

My brother took a class at the College of Lake County called "Sociology Through Star Trek" in Spring of 2004, the class ended 6 months before this article was written. The idea is, as you can tell, not unique to the Decatur, IL university. I guess if the teacher is crazy enough..

Actually this class looks legitimate - well, as legitimate as a Sociology class can get. I remember in the mid-90s there were some colleges seriously considering teaching Klingon as a foreign language. Not for degree credit, but as "adult continuing education" or something like that, but it was still considered.

Funnily enough it's actually not a bad idea. I like the way the topics will be discussed - feminism through the change of uniforms, the prime directive's functionality etc.

It's an enjoyable way to teach a less than stimulating course.

A local high school offered an elective class called "Star Trek: Ethics of the 24th Century" several years ago. It caused a small stir of media interest but that was about it. And it was offered only the one school year.

Some parents who examined some of the course material said it was brainwashing their kids with "liberal" ideas. :lol:

I remember wishing they'd had the class when I was in high school. It would've been the only class I managed an "A" in.

College classes based on Star Trek aren't exactly new. There were classes teaching Klingon, the sociology type classes mentioned, (in fact, one social science class used two episodes of TNG during the course of the class. These classes are almost all without exception, electives with no pre-req's. When you attend a college where a third of your credits have to be at the 3/400 levels, these electives can really be a blessing. So, while it's easy to nay-say these classes as ridiculous, I sometimes can't help but view them as no more so ridiculous as some of the electives that I took.

Actually this class looks legitimate - well, as legitimate as a Sociology class can get.  I remember in the mid-90s there were some colleges seriously considering teaching Klingon as a foreign language.  Not for degree credit, but as "adult continuing education" or something like that, but it was still considered.

356380[/snapback]

I would be concerned about whether there was sufficient material for a valid college level course. I would have not problem with an adult continuing education course.

I notice that the course mentioned in the article, while a full creidt course, is being taught during a break, suggesting that it is not quite accepted, since they did not find space for it during the regular term.