Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

A new shuttle

If NASA were to build a replacement for Columbia using the current shuttle design, what would you want to see it named?

I myself would like to see a Space Shuttle named Enterprise. I know the very first one was named Enterprise but I have never considered that a "Space Shuttle". It was a large mockup that was just an expensive glider.

I want an actual Space going Shuttle named Enterprise. I don't know if they will, or should build a new one of the current design but if they build a new ona I vote Enterprise.

Actually...

The current space shuttle program needs to be retired. They're working on a new generation of space shuttles, and I say that's the way to go. However, until they come out with a prototype for testing, they need to maintain the current one. Instead of rebuilding an anging space shuttle design, why not just refit the Enterprise for space flight?

To refit the current Enterprise would likely cost more then building a new shuttle. The present Enterprise was designed and built as a test vehicle, not for space flight. It would be great if they could refit it but the entire ship would have to be replaced with the possible exception of the air frame itself. It's a vehicle that was built in the early to mid 70's flew in '77 and that's it. The current shuttles have undergone constant upgrades and overhauls while the Enterprise has sat dormant. It would be unreasonable to refit it.

I do agree that a new class of shuttle is needed, but will they need a "stop gap" in the mean time?

Well, Enterprise is a great name but then so is...Phoenix..

Now I can relate to Phoenix....a bird that rose from the ashes. :)

Fun but true story, I thought about the name when I was looking through my photo album. I came upon a magazine article I was in back in '91 (the magazine was Odyssey, which is a science magazine for kids). There was a contest, to design a patch for the newly named Shuttle Endeavor. I was one of the semi finalists, my design had a Phoenix rising from the Earth, which was representing the Endeavor rising from the ashes of the Challenger. Thus the space industry reborn. When I was 11, I chose that because I felt it made sense then, and as I suggest the Phoenix theme again, it makes sense. I am a bit of a fan of mythology, which contributed to my idea...

To refit the current Enterprise would likely cost more then building a new shuttle. The present Enterprise was designed and built as a test vehicle, not for space flight. It would be great if they could refit it but the entire ship would have to be replaced with the possible exception of the air frame itself. It's a vehicle that was built in the early to mid 70's flew in '77 and that's it. The current shuttles have undergone constant upgrades and overhauls while the Enterprise has sat dormant. It would be unreasonable to refit it.

I do agree that a new class of shuttle is needed, but will they need a "stop gap" in the mean time?

Well, from what I've heard, it would be a third of the cost to build a new one, and all they'd need to do is upgrade the circutry, fit an space-worthy engine system, and things of that sort. I heard this on a radio program, don't have anything to backup if it's possible. heh

Well, from what I've heard, it would be a third of the cost to build a new one, and all they'd need to do is upgrade the circutry, fit an space-worthy engine system, and things of that sort. I heard this on a radio program, don't have anything to backup if it's possible. heh

I was reading several articles online about it. If I get a few moments I'll try to find the links for you.

NASA has said they won't be making the Enterprise into an orbital ship. Think about it logically. It was built in 1976, has never been modified or upgraded, does not have heat tiles on it and was never intended to fly in space.

Ligoc has to tell you that more then circutry has to be upgraded to transform it from being a large kite into a Space Shuttle.

The upgrades after Challanger alone would completely transform Enterprise into a whole new ship, this was debated back then as well and the conclusion was that it was too expensive to refit rather then build new.

Well, Enterprise is a great name but then so is...Phoenix..

Now I can relate to Phoenix....a bird that rose from the ashes. :)

Fun but true story, I thought about the name when I was looking through my photo album. I came upon a magazine article I was in back in '91 (the magazine was Odyssey, which is a science magazine for kids). There was a contest, to design a patch for the newly named Shuttle Endeavor. I was one of the semi finalists, my design had a Phoenix rising from the Earth, which was representing the Endeavor rising from the ashes of the Challenger. Thus the space industry reborn. When I was 11, I chose that because I felt it made sense then, and as I suggest the Phoenix theme again, it makes sense. I am a bit of a fan of mythology, which contributed to my idea...

thats really cool. i like the pheonix idea as well. the whole idea of rebirth from the firery ashes just really gets me. i love mythology too.

Stardate:213504.9

I think they should name it the Columbia 2 or Columbia-A.I also think they should save the name Enterprise for the first manned ship that "boldy goes where no man has gone before" :)

I like the idea of Pheonix.

With what happened to Columbia, I think it is appropriate. Plus, I think it's just a neat name :)