Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

You Can't Stand Tall Without A Backbone

Ken Schram Commentary: You Can't Stand Tall Without A Backbone

August 16, 2005

By Ken Schram  ken_schram.jpg

SEATTLE - I feel like such a chump. I actually believed the South Kitsap County School Board was willing to stand up to the mealy-mouthed minions of rampant political correctness. Last month, I raved about how board members stood tall and voted to rename their late December school holiday "Christmas Break" instead of "Winter Break." (you can read the old topic here.) Well, you can't stand tall without a backbone, and board members have now shown they have none. They've bowed to the incessant clatter of those who erroneously chant nonsense about how this violates the "separation of church and state." Worse, board members have spinelessly thrown themselves at the feet of the politically correct horde and decided they'd go back to calling the holiday time "Winter Break." This isn't an issue of piety. It's a matter of practicality. It's about acknowledging the deep cultural side of a religious holiday that - last time I looked! - was still a nationally recognized day off with pay. And here I thought there was one school board that got it. Here I thought there was a group of educational leaders willing to teach kids about perspective. I thought South Kitsap had some progressive-thinking folks who were willing to do the right thing, instead of just the politically correct thing. What a chump I am. Want to share your thoughts with Ken Schram? You can e-mail him at kenschram@komo4news.com

The people in my district are crazy I think. So, what do you think?

Edited by Capt_Picard

Now before anyone gets the wrong idea... I said they were crazy because that can't make up thier mind. I don't care what's it called just choes and stick with it!

I call it christmas break, I mean what the hell are people celebrating at this time eh??? Dear lord. yes for you poor athiests out there its winter break, but it always made me wonder why athiests partook in christmas and presents when they don't believe anyhow. IT'S DAMN CHRISTMAS, LEAVE IT ALONE!

I call it christmas break, I mean what the hell are people celebrating at this time eh???

Many cultures celebrate different occasions at that time of year.

Dear lord. yes for you poor athiests out there its winter break, but it always made me wonder why athiests partook in christmas and presents when they don't believe anyhow.

Many things you associate with Christmas don't even originate from Christianity.

Presents, trees, food, misteltoe, holly etc were Pagan traditions which were adopted by Christianity. Even the date December 25th was picked simply to bring Christian meaning to pagan holidays. There are enough secular elements involved with Christmas that allows Atheists to celebrate it. Such as the idea of families getting together and being kind to loved ones and friends.

IT'S DAMN CHRISTMAS, LEAVE IT ALONE!

No one is stopping people from celebrating Christmas. They are simply giving the holiday an accurate name.

Our school board calls it Winter Holidays; everybody else calls it Christmas break because that's what it is for them.

Speaking of Christmas - I have actually seen Christmas decor in one of the stores - and Walmart is rearranging it shelves....sigh. (Of course it is still so incredibly hot that I forget "summer" is over for some people - a heat index of 98 and it's almost 9:30 p.m.)

I call it christmas break, I mean what the hell are people celebrating at this time eh??? Dear lord. yes for you poor athiests out there its winter break, but it always made me wonder why athiests partook in christmas and presents when they don't believe anyhow. IT'S DAMN CHRISTMAS, LEAVE IT ALONE!

347736[/snapback]

Um, no UA

I have Jews, Muslims, and Hindu's in my town.

Also blacks.

They all don't celebrate Christmas, and some celebrate Kwanza as well as Christmas.

For us to assume that EVERYONE celebrates it is quite arrogant and "white" of us.

It's been "winter break" in my part of the country for years.

The only think I lament is the holiday music concerts.

It no longer exists.

I remember that being my favorite holiday treat.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

Arrgg...Political Correctness is driving me mad. I heard in one town, Plumbers were forced to change the names of certain Toilet parts (The Ball (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) and the Stop (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)) to the Ball Valve and the Stop Valve. (One plumber actually charges 25% more for a Stop Valve than he does for a Stop (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)). Also, a Texas town changed it's "officiall" Telephone greating to "Heaven-o" Because "Hello" sounded like devil worship. Geeze, people, life would be soo much easier if some folks could remove their head from their hindparts.