Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

Gonna start watching DS9 all the way through

any tips?

Click For Spoiler
Slow down, you're going to finish it too quickly!

351060[/snapback]

Like hell I will... I did not watch any DS9 episodes yesterday. I woke up at 7pm the day before yesterday, worked a grave shift (actually half swing, half grave), and stayed up all day until 9pm. (It was my last day at that job... Monday I'm driving across the country for a week.) Too tired to watch any DS9.

So far today I've watched one, Crossfire. I have to say it was pretty good, though I hated seeing Odo get trampled on. I've come to like Odo a lot more, he's actually pretty cool.

I may watch another one later, depends on what all goes down today.

Oh yes! One more flaw in the asian sets... See, sometimes they finish a bit early. Before the credits would even start the episode stops and returns to the menu. The most noticable one is the Paradise Lost one where it ends when Sisko is still in the Admiral's office. I guess it's a pretty big flaw but it only happens to a few episodes. :(

351077[/snapback]

That would tick me off. Actually I think one of the Voyager episodes I watched did something like that, ending before that last Berman/Pillar credit. I didn't think it was far away, but still was a little disappointed.

I actually don't know what I will do when I move. I may stop watching DS9 because my girlfriend is interested in seeing them all, so we may watch them in order (TNG-DS9-Voyager). So I may watch seven seasons of TNG, then start over on DS9 (encouraging her to watch as many as she can in my absense, with the exception of favorites I'll note) and then we'll catch up to where I am now, and continue through, and then I'll watch Voyager with her.

Guys, I will make her a Trekkie if it's the last thing I do. :( Actually, she hadn't seen any of the Star Wars movies before this year, and saw I and II when I asked her out to III, and can't wait to see IV, V, and VI. I'm sure she'll at least enjoy TNG, love DS9, and like Voyager.

Edited by Dark Reality

So far today I've watched one, Crossfire. I have to say it was pretty good, though I hated seeing Odo get trampled on. I've come to like Odo a lot more, he's actually pretty cool.

I love that episode. Poor Odo. It was very sad what happened to him. Alot of dramatic moments like that happen all throughout DS9. It's like the soap opera of Star Trek.

I actually don't know what I will do when I move. I may stop watching DS9 because my girlfriend is interested in seeing them all, so we may watch them in order (TNG-DS9-Voyager). So I may watch seven seasons of TNG, then start over on DS9 (encouraging her to watch as many as she can in my absense, with the exception of favorites I'll note) and then we'll catch up to where I am now, and continue through, and then I'll watch Voyager with her.

You should integrate the episodes. DS9 starts off after season 5 of TNG, so when you finish season 5, you start watching DS9 and alternate episodes of TNG season 6 and DS9 season 1. After TNG season 7 and DS9 season 2 finish, you start Voyager season 1 and DS9 season 3 and alternate and such. DS9 will finish after Voyager's fifth season. It may seem a bit extravagant, but it will work out :wink2:

Guys, I will make her a Trekkie if it's the last thing I do.  Actually, she hadn't seen any of the Star Wars movies before this year, and saw I and II when I asked her out to III, and can't wait to see IV, V, and VI. I'm sure she'll at least enjoy TNG, love DS9, and like Voyager.

You make her join STF! You hear? :( So, out of episodes I, II, and III, which one is her favorite?

I actually don't know what I will do when I move.  I may stop watching DS9 because my girlfriend is interested in seeing them all, so we may watch them in order (TNG-DS9-Voyager).  So I may watch seven seasons of TNG, then start over on DS9 (encouraging her to watch as many as she can in my absense, with the exception of favorites I'll note) and then we'll catch up to where I am now, and continue through, and then I'll watch Voyager with her.

351380[/snapback]

Are you sure TNG is where you'd want to start her off? Personally I'd start off with DS9 if I didn't start with TOS.

If she likes what she's seeing you'll have to encourage her to come and post her thoughts on what she's seeing. I would be very interested in getting her take on the episodes seeing as she's never watched any before. That would be a very fresh opinion.

Good idea on integrating them. I bet the stardates will still be out of order... but that way they'll be closer.

@VBG -- DS9 may have a few serious advantages over TNG, but TNG is really the "start" of the era which later encompasses DS9 and Voyager. And I will show her the TOS episode Mirror, Mirror before either DS9 Season 2, or right before Crossover.

I had to reference back to my DS9 collection; the 2-part "The Maquis" is in Season 2, and we'd have to watch that before starting Voyager, as that's where the Maquis started.

I can encourage her to post here... maybe open up a thread in the personal logs forum and call it a Star Trek TNG-DS9-VOY blog. I think we will both use forums a little less when we move in together, since we use them (mine anyway) to keep in touch. We both have other forums we visit, but at least for the first couple months I think both of us will be less active on the forums we visit.

As for her favorite between SW I, II, and III... I didn't ask. Maybe when we've seen all six I'll ask. Personally my answer would differ each week. Some days "A New Hope" is my favorite (and it probably always will be) but other days it's "Attack of the Clones". Depends if I'm in a new trilogy mood or an old trilogy mood. And I like the "other two" in the original trilogy a heck of a lot better than the "other two" in the new trilogy. I liked Ep. III a lot less than most people.

I liked Star Wars VI (Return of the Jedi) more than most people. The Ewoks didn't really bother me. The space battle and the Luke/Vader scene more than made up for it. I know a lot of people consider Empire (V) to be the best, but I prefer Jedi to it.

I don't think any Star Wars film is really bad or worst, though. III would have been better if I'd only seen I and II; knowing what happens in IV-V-VI makes III almost pointless. The events at the end were very cool to watch, but III more so than any of the others had to not only continue where others left off, but it also had to be at a certain point by the end. It was a lot more restrained, there weren't a lot of surprises.

Isn't it nice how I just stopped dead in the middle of Season 4? Right in the middle of the whole series. I'll finish Deep Space Nine one day. Really, I will. :rolleyes: But in going back and watching TNG with my girlfriend, I'll remmeber all the classic (to me) episodes, then DS9... because eventually we want to get to Voyager. I'll see if I can't con her into starting a TNG blog, then a DS9 blog, then a Voyager log. I'll do one as well, except for DS9, in which case I'll just continue this one if we're all still here by then (this board, you people... Susan, sea trooper, and VBG mostly).. :hug:

Isn't it nice how I just stopped dead in the middle of Season 4?  Right in the middle of the whole series.

351736[/snapback]

Right as you were getting to the meat of the series where it really gets good lol

If you ever get to see Trials and Tribble-ations just be sure to watch the TOS episode "The Trouble With Tribbles" first.

I'll do one as well, except for DS9, in which case I'll just continue this one if we're all still here by then (this board, you people... Susan, sea trooper, and VBG mostly).. :rolleyes:

351736[/snapback]

I'll still be here, we all just need to figure out a way to convince you to keep watching now... then you can help guide her through the the Great Material Continium (You'll understand what that is when you get to season 7 lol).

On a side note, I was just over at Invision and re-discovered some threads where we were discussing DVD players and burning DVD's. I had forgotten that we had met over there.

Hi, I'm Silent Jo (Jen), Dark Reality's girlfriend. Just thought I'd register, since I read through this thread and saw that DR apparently has the devious plot to addict me to a few Star Trek series, hehe. I can already say by looking at the home page and the forums...I'm lost. But I'm sure I'll catch on to all the Trekkie stuff in no time.

Just wanted to let you guys know that as of Thursday night, DR's almost here, stopping in Memphis, TN for the night. I thought he had put the link to the updates in his sig here but I guess he was too busy to do it, hehe. Anyway, you can find the updates here on our board

I look forward to sharing my Star Trek experience with you all in the coming months, whenever we start watching :laugh:

jo

Edited by Silent Jo

Hi, I'm Silent Jo (Jen), Dark Reality's girlfriend.  Just thought I'd register, since I read through this thread and saw that DR apparently has the devious plot to addict me to a few Star Trek series, hehe.  I can already say by looking at the home page and the forums...I'm lost.  But I'm sure I'll catch on to all the Trekkie stuff in no time. 

Just wanted to let you guys know that as of Thursday night, DR's almost here, stopping in Memphis, TN for the night.  I thought he had put the link to the updates in his sig here but I guess he was too busy to do it, hehe.  Anyway, you can find the updates here on our board

I look forward to sharing my Star Trek experience with you all in the coming months, whenever we start watching :laugh:

jo

352462[/snapback]

Welcome! I definately look forward to hearing your views on the various episodes that you encounter. As for being lost, don't worry there's enough tour guides around here that you can't move 2 feet in any direction without running into one of us lol I've been watching Star Trek all my life going back to 1969 (though I don't remember anything about it prior to about 1972 when I was 3). I've watched every single episode, cartoon and movie more then once as have several other members here. So if DR can't answer your questions it's a safe bet that there's someone here that can.

Welcome to the board, it'll be interesting to get your perspective on the episodes. Most people here have been watching Star Trek for years and we've spent a lot of time discussing and analysing each and every epsidoe so it'll be great to get a fresh perspective on matters. Keep us up to date and once again, welcome!

As for being lost, don't worry there's enough tour guides around here that you can't move 2 feet in any direction without running into one of us lol I've been watching Star Trek all my life going back to 1969 (though I don't remember anything about it prior to about 1972 when I was 3). I've watched every single episode, cartoon and movie more then once as have several other members here. So if DR can't answer your questions it's a safe bet that there's someone here that can.

352481[/snapback]

VBG knows all .... I can always trust him to have the answer or at least know where to go get the answer to any Trek question I have.

Welcome Silent Jo. I haven't been out here for a while, but I'll keep checking back to this thread to see how your DS9 voyage may be going!

Hey all, I gave in to temptation and started watching DS9 again! It's been about two and a half weeks, but I'm now anxious to get back into it and finsih this series!

I don't know when my girlfriend and I will start watching TNG, but I'm wondering if I won't have DS9 finished by then. She works, and I'm still waiting on paperwork from the state (I moved to North Carolina to move in with her) before I can start looking for work. It probably won't be until we're both working and we can work into a schedule that we can start watching Trek together. Plus, I brought about 150 DVDs (movies) with me when I moved in, and there's a lot she wants to see. She is interested in getting into Trek, but it is something of a commitment. Me... I'm at home without her for 9.5 hours each day, nothing to do... there are a few maintenance tasks I must take care of with my website/message board I'm sorta putting off more than I should be, but other than that I have a lot of time. There's only about a dozen to 20 movies I have that I haven't seen, and frankly DS9 is more appealing than most (if not all) of them.

I'm on dialup now (Walmart's AOL client... gag me...) so I've disabled avatars, signatures, and images... makes it a lot more dialup friendly. That's one thing I like about the software VBG and I use on our boards (Invision Power Board); you can disable those things. I could take it a step further and hit the Lo-Fi Version button... but that's too much. Makes it a purely text-only board... Not cool... but cool that it's an option for those times AOL is really slow.

I just watched 4x14 "Return to Grace", which I enjoyed... another Kira/Dukat episode. Did I mention Dukat is cool? :dude: I dunno, in most episodes I like the Cardies more than the Bajorans.

Me... I'm at home without her for 9.5 hours each day, nothing to do... there are a few maintenance tasks I must take care of with my website/message board I'm sorta putting off more than I should be, but other than that I have a lot of time.

There's always the dishes or the laundry sweetie, hows about them for "maintenance tasks" :assimilated:

Well guys I've finally seen all of the Star Wars movies, and I really enjoyed them. I think Lucas did an amazing job fitting together the new trilogy and the old. It's hard for me to choose a favorite at the moment. I really liked AOTC (Ep. 2) as well as Sith for all the action. And like DR said, I guess I had a better advantage to the series, since I watched it chronologically and didn't know what to expect. Now he wants to get me into either the Star Trek series or the movies. Since work and sleep take up most of my time, we'll have to work out a good time to really sit down and watch regularly, cause I don't know about you guys, but if I watch a storyline and miss a few weeks, I get lost, hehe.

Thanks again for the warm welcome :P

jo

Hey all, I gave in to temptation and started watching DS9 again!  It's been about two and a half weeks, but I'm now anxious to get back into it and finsih this series!

355150[/snapback]

I knew you wouldn't be able to go cold turkey lol

That's one thing I like about the software VBG and I use on our boards (Invision Power Board)

355150[/snapback]

I may have said this earlier, but I had completely forgotten that we were talking in Invisions board until I re-visited a couple of threads over there a few weeks ago.

I just watched 4x14 "Return to Grace", which I enjoyed... another Kira/Dukat episode.  Did I mention Dukat is cool? :dude: I dunno, in most episodes I like the Cardies more than the Bajorans.

355150[/snapback]

Return to Grace was a really good episode, I think of it as "Indiscretions Part II" even though there's several episodes between the 2 episodes. There's other episodes that are like that where there's a few episodes between them and then they pick up the story and complete it.

Me... I'm at home without her for 9.5 hours each day, nothing to do... there are a few maintenance tasks I must take care of with my website/message board I'm sorta putting off more than I should be, but other than that I have a lot of time.

There's always the dishes or the laundry sweetie, hows about them for "maintenance tasks" :assimilated:

Well guys I've finally seen all of the Star Wars movies, and I really enjoyed them. I think Lucas did an amazing job fitting together the new trilogy and the old. It's hard for me to choose a favorite at the moment. I really liked AOTC (Ep. 2) as well as Sith for all the action. And like DR said, I guess I had a better advantage to the series, since I watched it chronologically and didn't know what to expect. Now he wants to get me into either the Star Trek series or the movies. Since work and sleep take up most of my time, we'll have to work out a good time to really sit down and watch regularly, cause I don't know about you guys, but if I watch a storyline and miss a few weeks, I get lost, hehe.

Thanks again for the warm welcome :P

jo

355546[/snapback]

For me Episode IV will always be my favorite no matter how good any of the others may be. As I've said before, there's nothing that can top watching it in 1977 as a wide eyed 8 year old.

Now it's my turn to envy you, VBG. I did have the privilege of seeing the original Star Wars, but it was the 1997 re-release. It was pretty impressive, but seeing the teaser for it the year before almost made me have to change my pants! (The teaser where they show the original Star Wars on a little TV, and the X-Wing breaks out onto the big screen.)

Yes, Return to Grace was like an Indiscretions, Part II... it took me a minute. I've seen so many betweeen then and now...

"Sons of Mogh" was alright, but I didn't care for the ending. Sometimes I admire the Klingons, but other times I don't understand them at all. "Bar Association" was a little better... my favorite part was seeing the Naussicans. I always thought the alien in Predator was cool, and I loved that Star Trek modeled an alien race after it. That may not be canon, but who among us who has seen Predator didn't think that when first seeing Naussicans? "Accession" delved a little deeper into Bajoran culture, and forced Sisko to reanalyze his job as Emissary. I thought the Prophets were a little too straightforward, though.

"Rules of Engagement" was awesome, a legal thriller of sorts, and showed a Klingon who wasn't your typical Klingon. He seemed a little smarter, more level-headed than most. I've heard about "Hard Time" before, where O'Brien is forced to 'virtually' endure 20 years of prison, and the effects it had on him. This was a particularly interesting episode, because I'd always wondered how Picard re-adjusted after the events of my favorite TNG episode, "The Inner Light", which used a similar plot device. And most recently, "Shattered Mirror"... awesome action episode, and takes place mostly in the mirror universe to boot. I don't think we've met the mirror Worf before, but it was interesting to see him as a "real Klingon" with honor intact.

I'll finish this series, all right... B)

And Jo and I started watching TNG last night. We just watched Farpoint last night. I kept listening for the joke referenced in "Generations", but it never came... did they just throw that in or what? Anyway, if she wants to do a Star Trek blog, I'll let her track TNG in her own thread. I've seen most of the episodes and parts of the ones I haven't seen all the way through; I'm just getting them in order. She's seeing all of them (bar a few she must have seen on TV over the past 18 years it's been on) for the first time.

PS - VBG, have a look at this: FlashChat. I have one on my board, but my board's slow and I never see anyone else in chat... the one Invision offers is Java, and suffers from a lot of the problems associated with Java... I thought a Flash based chat would be really cumbersome, but it loads a lot faster than I expect, and I'm on dialup... worse, AOL... check it out, though. It could add a neat new dimension to your site. :frusty:

When the original Star Wars came out in the movies my sister was working there so she was able to get us free passes. That being the case I saw it at least 10 times if not more. The summer of '77 was a great summer.

"Hard Time" was a really good episode, I always enjoy watching it. "Bar Association" has always been a fun episode to watch.

As for the joke in Farpoint, I don't recall seeing it either.

The Spike feed my cable company gets starting showing DS9 last week. The first episode was "Trials and Tribble-ations" and I've watched up to yesterday's episodes which were "Business as Usual" and "Ties of Blood and Water". I'm going to keep watching but so far it really hasn't grabbed me the way many of the other series have. In other words, it hasn't moved up on my list yet.

You just need to watch more. Especially if starting from the fifth season.

You just need to watch more. Especially if starting from the fifth season.

356496[/snapback]

I saw the first three seasons when it originally aired then stopped. I had promised VBG quite a while ago that I would give DS9 a chance if I had access to it again so I'm going to keep that promise and keep watching it through season 7 and when it starts over again.

Well that's good. Though it had me at Past Prologue, you'll have your season :wink2:

I actually wrote this yesterday, as phone lines were out here. A tropical storm headed through here (VBG might be seeing some of that soon, it looked like it was heading up in his direction) and things were bad, but I had my DS9... :) Friday I watched six DS9 episodes, then the usual two TNG episodes with my girlfriend. As I watched the episodes, I kept up a "journal" in realtime... So here's that...

It's raining, and as such, the phone lines are out, so that means no Internet access for me. So I decided to do something a little different with my next entry, finishing season 4 of DS9. With each episode I watched, I wrote a sentence or two or three about it as I watched them, rather than doing a recap afterwards. The result probably isn't much different, but it seems easier this way.

I didn't really like "The Muse". Unlike a couple others that came before it which I didn't care for, I didn't exactly get bored with it, but it wasn't that great overall. I never have liked Lwaxana Troi, and I'm not sure she's in any good episodes. (I said Lwaxana, not Majel Barret [Roddenberry], who I learned a couple months ago plays the voice of the Computer as well... that's a pretty cool "cameo"... I just don't like her Lwaxana character... at all.) Jake isn't so bad, but his side of the episode wasn't all that great.

"For the Cause"; now that was a good episode. The relationship between Ben and Jake Sisko has always been well played out, maybe one of the best in the series (along with Miles O'Brien and Julian Bashir, but they have fewer episodes). There was actually a little of this in the previous episode, but not enough to make me like it overall. This one seemed longer than others somehow; twice I thought it was over, but then there was another scene or two afterward. The first time it was tying up a loose end, but the second one (the ending scene) came as a bit of a surprise. Is this the episode that is unofficially joined with "For the Uniform" (5x13) and "Blaze of Glory" (5x23)? Oh... It should have gone without saying that Defiant was cloaked in the Badlands, but they didn't say it. Is that bluish glow a telltale sign Defiant is cloaked (like flashing red means red alert)?

Now "To the Death" seemed a little short, but I figure that's because it was thick in the beginning, and the ending was rather quick. I've been waiting for this one for a while as the "first Weyoun episode" and it was satisfying. If asked to call this or the one before better, I'd have a hard time answering. I've just watched two very good episodes. B)

My record is 5 episodes a day. My girlfriend gets home in 6.5 hours, and I've already watched three. What's the score? :(

I've been doing some scanning ahead (muted, just jumping around)... Do they say exactly, why in "The Ascent" (5x10) forward, the uniforms change? Just curious. They drop the TNG uniforms for something newer (what the TNG crew wore in the last three movies). It's interesting to note that for obvious reasons Voyager doesn't have a uniform change. :)

I'm not usually a fan of medical drama... never read anything by Robin Cook, but "The Quickening" was a pretty good episode. Not much else to say for it, other than that I hope they come back to this later with a better conclusion for the people on that world...

"Body Parts" was, well... a Ferengi episode... And that makes five. One more, to finish season 4... :bow: ...and still no dialtone on the line... so on the offline DS9 blog continues...

I also found it interesting, on the TNG side, in "Where No One Has Gone Before", the introduction of "The Traveler". One of my favorite TNG episodes is "Remember Me" and The Traveler is mentioned, but I didn't know the significance of it. :(

"Broken Link" ...Wow... I thought the end with Odo was shocking, but the bit at the very end with Gowron... Now that's just not right! :) That was a good end to the season. I have to ask, though... When DS9 was actually on, when it was new... I saw an episode where they improved Odo's face. Bashir asked Odo about it in this episode, but he didn't say whether he wanted his face improved, and I thought at one point he did. Is that yet to come?

When DS9 was actually on, when it was new... I saw an episode where they improved Odo's face. Bashir asked Odo about it in this episode, but he didn't say whether he wanted his face improved, and I thought at one point he did. Is that yet to come?

Yes, that's in season 5.

Click For Spoiler
Children of time.

Click For Spoiler
That's an Odo that was transported 200 years into the past and meets the DS9 crew 200 years later. He's had some time to practice his shapeshifting.

We did have a lot of rain yesterday, didn't really cause any problems though.

I never really cared for "The Muse" either, I didn't dislike it but I didn't really like it either. That may be because I didn't really care for the direction that Jake's character was taking at that point.

"To the Death" has always been a bit of a favorite of mine, you start to get to know the Jem'hadar on a more "personal" level and get some insight into their background.

"Body Parts" was a great Quark episode and is somewhat important for future Ferengi episodes. I forget, do you like or dislike Ferengi episodes? You still have several to go, there's at least a couple per season.

"The Ascent" is another important episode as far as character development goes and has some great Quark/Odo scenes in it. As for the uniform change, I don't recall them ever discussing it.

"Broken Link" was another really good episode and a great cliffhanger to end the 4th season with. As you can imagine they will have to deal with this in season 5, leads to some great stories.

As for season 5, some episodes to look forward to are (all of them but here's some highlights to look for).

"Apocalypse Rising", which is episode 1 of the season. You'll be introduced to 4 'new' Klingon characters.

"The Ship", several elements of this episode will be used in future episodes down the line.

"Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places" which you can really consider "The House of Quark part II", really good episode.

Before you watch "Trials and Tribble-ations" I would suggest that you watch the TOS episode "The Trouble With Tribbles", "Trials and Tribble-ations" was made 'around' the original episode and contains a lot of the original episode within it but like the Mirror Universe you might want to know the original story before getting to the new story.

One of the best 2 part episodes in all of Trek is "In Purgatory's Shadow" & "By Inferno's Light". I love these episodes and may have watched them more then any 2 other episodes in any of the 5 series. Great episodes.

"Ties of Blood and Water" can be considered "Second Skin Part II", very good episode.

"Soldiers of the Empire" & "Children of Time" are both great episodes, I just watched them yesterday in fact.

Another episode that I think will be a fun one is "In the Cards", I've always liked this story.

There are other great episodes that I didn't mention, in fact I could list all 26 and proclaim all of them great but these are a few of the highlights that I think you will enjoy.

I like some Ferengi episodes... I just didn't care for "Family Business". Quark trying to convince his mother to not wear clothing didn't sit well with me.

I'm not able to acquire the two TOS episodes, but I've actually seen the DS9 episode with the original Trek, when it first aired.

Thanks for the long post... I'm sure I'll be barreling right through Season 5... at least until I get a job. I may finish out DS9 by the middle or end of November... as for TNG, I'm trying to get 2 a night in when my girlfriend gets off work. :veryangry:

Now for the "offline blog" thingy... <_<

"Apocalypse Rising" kicks off DS9's Season 5. This episode seemed really short, as Sisko, Odo, O'Brien, and Worf invade the Klingon Empire in an attempt to expose... well, a traitor in the Empire, the former three surgically altered to look like Klingons. There was an important scene here, the time every Captain has to put one of his crewmen in line. With Picard it was Data in "Generations"; here it was Sisko and Odo, Odo wanting to back out of the mission and Sisko reminding him of his duty and that nothing can change him being made into a solid. It may have been this episode where Bashir offers to give him a new face, but I looked at some of the last episodes, and Odo's features are never sharpened, so I must not be remembering correctly.

"The Ship" was a good episode, for a few reasons, and it wasn't really part of the 'main' storyline. Sisko and a Runabout crew find a crashed Jem'hadar ship on a remote world, and protect it from a Vorta and Jem'hadar crew, with kind of a sad ending.

YEAH! "Looking for Par'mach in All the Wrong Places" was a great episode, funny as hell... and romantic, in a... Klingon sort of way. "The House of Quark" (3x03... was it really two whole seasons ago?) was not that good (in my opinion!), but this one was great. O'Brien is probably the luckiest guy on DS9... Now Worf has Dax and Quark has that Klingon woman, but O'Brien has Keiko and Kira, and he's got a kid with another on the way, and having a family has always been one of my life's goals (specifically, up until I fell in love with an Italian woman, I wanted an Asian woman... and as far as kids, I'd always preferred to have girls), so as far as I'm concerned, O'Brien's got it made. And he likes what he does; that's important, too.

"Nor the Battle to the Strong"... this is the best Jake episode since... wow, I can't remember which one it was, with the older Jake Sisko (played by Tony Todd) and Ben Sisko kept phasing in and out... damn, went through a bunch of old ones and can't find it. Anyway, it was one of the better episodes. This wasn't quite that good, but it was pretty good, and well worth the time... Probably the best of the four I've watched today, though not as funny as the last one (different kinds of episodes).

Now... I seem to remember a poll, about "favorite DS9-era ships". When do we see them? I've seen Defiant, and the Sovereign-class (Ent.-E) was included in the poll... are we going to see some awesome Federation starships at some point?

It may have been this episode where Bashir offers to give him a new face, but I looked at some of the last episodes, and Odo's features are never sharpened, so I must not be remembering correctly.

357409[/snapback]

There's a couple of episodes that Odo has a more human looking face, one is in "Facets" from season 3 where Odo and Kurzon are merged the other one is yet to come for you. It's in the 5th season and is called "Children of Time", you're close to seeing it so I won't go into details.

"Nor the Battle to the Strong"... this is the best Jake episode since... wow, I can't remember which one it was, with the older Jake Sisko (played by Tony Todd) and Ben Sisko kept phasing in and out... damn, went through a bunch of old ones and can't find it.  Anyway, it was one of the better episodes.  This wasn't quite that good, but it was pretty good, and well worth the time... Probably the best of the four I've watched today, though not as funny as the last one (different kinds of episodes).

357409[/snapback]

The Episode you're thinking of is "The Visitor" from season 4.

Now... I seem to remember a poll, about "favorite DS9-era ships".  When do we see them?  I've seen Defiant, and the Sovereign-class (Ent.-E) was included in the poll... are we going to see some awesome Federation starships at some point?

357409[/snapback]

Yes, there are some great battle sceens where you'll see a lot of ships.

I look forward to your thoughts on "In Purgatory's Shadow" & "By Inferno's Light", a great 2 parter.

"The Assignment" was good... not quite like any episode I've seen before. Keiko gets posessed by an unknown entity, and has O'Brien conspiring to sabotage the station, and worse. Personally I think he should have transported Molly somewhere safe, like Ops, right from the beginning. And then taken his chance with a phaser set to maximum stun... save himself a lot of trouble.

"Trials and Tribble-ations" was OK... I really think most of the appeal of this one was the editing of the DS9 crew into the TNG episode "The Trouble With Tribbles", though. It was a landmark episode, doing something they hadn't done before (and as far as I know, didn't do again). I didn't realize Klingons looked so normal in the original Star Trek... Nice how Worf dodges the question about the evolution of Klingons... but is that question ever really answered, or just swept aside?

"Let He Who is Without Sin" gives us our first look at Riza (Risa?), at least on DS9. And I don't recall seeing it on TNG, if it was at all. The episode raises an important question: is the Federation too pampered to deal with a Borg or Dominion assault? It's a hard question, easier asked through the veil of science fiction; one could ask the same thing about America after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Are we really prepared? And more importantly, do we let the terrorists (Borg, Dominion) "win" by changing our way of life? And I think that's the point the episode made, although it wasn't directly stated. In the Trek universe, we don't have the distinctions of nationality (for example, Sisko being African-descent and O'Brien being Irish-descent) but rather the distinction of species (they're both Human), and like Americans and British, Humanity is defined by freedom, and to give that up to accept military rule is to let the terrorists win. The real-world debate has no place in this discussion (I believe this board has a forum for that, but that's not here), but we can debate the fictional Trek situation similarly as we like. And I think the answers will ultimately come in later episodes and seasons. So while this episode didn't feature the Dominion or the Borg, the point of the episode makes it very important.

Do the Borg make an appearance in DS9, or were they only in TNG and Voyager?