Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Denise Crosbie

I don't think her decision really hurt her. She wasn't one of the most popular characters on the series, I don't care for Tasha Yar at all, quite frankly I think she was in the worst season of TNG. But if she did stay, she'd probably be in the same boat that she is in now. Just because you stay in Star Trek until the end doesn't mean you'll be a big star like Shatner, Frakes or Stewart. Look at Will Wheaton, I don't see him making blockbuster movies, just occasional B-rated movies on the Scifi Channel and Computer infomercials. :laugh:

I consider Frakes a star, look at all he has done (Gargoyles, Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction and so on) And occasionally directing

Edited by Gamera

Denise Crosby made a huge mistake. After quitting Trek, she spent the folowing years appearing naked in movies and trying to wrangle her way back onto Trek.

I saw Denise at a small Star Trek convention were I live and she was very nice. She signed autograghs and was very friendly. To bad about her decision to leave Star Trek.

I doubt she would of ever been a Main Star Trek Character ON TNG, but what if she went to DS9

349432[/snapback]

Funny that you should mention that.

I've been rewatching the first season of TNG and I've started to see how Gene Roddenberry could have created the Yar character to be a sort of 'proto-Kira', a strong female character that wasn't from the 'paradise' of the Federation, but rather, someone who was from a world torn apart by violence and social problems.

She could have opened up a whole different view of humanity in the 24th century by representing humans who had failed (they could have been written as a sort of Maquis-like threat to the Federation, or perhaps the Human equivalent to what the Romulans are to the Vulcans

I believe that if Roddenberry hadn't caved-in at the last minute about not having a Klingon onboard, that it may have pushed the writers toward more mature and socially relevant stories (like the best of TOS and DS9) rather than Klingon stories that, while fun, had little depth or relevance.

I believe that if Roddenberry hadn't caved-in at the last minute about not having a Klingon onboard, that it may have pushed the writers toward more mature and socially relevant stories (like the best of TOS and DS9) rather than Klingon stories that, while fun, had little depth or relevance.

349476[/snapback]

I beg to differ on that Klingon thing .... I challenge anyone to watch "Sins of the Father," "Redemption" (TNG), "Way of the Warrior," "Sons of Mogh," and "In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light" (DS9) and say that Klingon stories had little depth or relevance!

DS9 stories were more mature and socially relevant because of Rick Berman's focus on Voyager and his minimal involvement in DS9 during the latter half of its run.

Back to the topic! Denise Crosby made a monstrous mistake in leaving TNG ... I'm glad she left, though, because her departure paved the way for Worf's development and I think that we would not have seen Ensign Ro had Tasha still been on board. They would have had their token angry female in Tasha and no need for Ro Laren!

It's sad, really, to think that Denise Crosby had delusions about a big-screen career ... she is so obviously a t.v. actress. A role in Pet Sematary was not going to propel her to mega-stardom!

Susan_Delgado, I will concede that some of the Klingon episodes did have a depth to them (more so the DS9 ones than the TNG ones) but I fail to see the relevance of any of them.

However, that doesn't mean that a few were not truly great 'space opera' episodes, just that they were lacking in social commentary and complex characterization. (I mean this more as a observation than accusation)

As to your comments about Berman, was he not in charge of TNG when the Klingon episodes you mentioned were created?

I agree, the development of the Worf character was a positive out come of Denise Crosby's career-suicide, I just wish that we could have kept both the Yar character and the Worf development(preferably on DS9).

I think you are quite right, she is a 'TV talent', but I wonder why she never tried to return to TV?