Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Saints and Soldiers

I just watched this movie and it is one I can recommend. It's about five soldiers and events that took place during the Battle of the Bulge as they are caught behind enemy lines.

From what I've read the "events" in the movie are true but apparently not the individuals - even the seemingly incredible meeting between the American and German soldier.

The focus of this movie is much on the men and not the battles - although I will say I never felt I was watching a "film festival" movie as regards the cinematography (or anything else).

I cried a few times in this movie and the writers did a great job with their five main characters and developing their "secrets" and the bond that formed.

Here's a review from Amazon.com

Click For Spoiler
On the Battlefield, Personal Survival and Bonding are Essential, June 25, 2005

Reviewer:    Grady Harp (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews 

So many films about war, and especially about WW II, focus on the 'good guys' (read Allied troops) versus 'bad guys' (read Germans) and the monumental confrontations that have gained heroic monikers like D-Day, Normandy, Battle of the Bulge, etc. The film crews spend millions to re-enact these epic battles. At times the individuals within the massive units are brought into focus ('Saving Private Ryan', etc) but primarily they are frontal decoration for the Big Effects created to stun the audience.

Then comes along a small scale independent film like SAINTS AND SOLDIERS and while the battles are there and realistically created, this time they are background settings for this intimate story of the survival of four men and how that survival and a concerted mission serve to allow each to become wholly vulnerable despite all the societal taboos for honest, fragile emotions in men at war. The only other film of this scale and intent that comes to mind is the Peter Berg 1992 film A MIDNIGHT CLEAR.

The story of SIANTS AND SOLDIERS revolves around true events - the massacre of US soldiers at Malmedy, Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge. .....

The photography for this low budget film is utterly magnificent and was shot by the director Ryan Little himself. The story, based on fact, was altered and adapted for the screen by Geoffrey Panos and Matt Whitaker. The actors are true to ensemble acting - all sensitive, each well performed. And while it is difficult to isolate individuals, the work of Alexander Niver and Corbin Allred is extraordinary. Crowning this deeply moving film is the powerful, sensitive, beautiful musical score by J Bateman and Bart Hendrickson. This is one of those perfectly written, directed, acted, photographed, and scored little wonders that restore faith in the integrity of movies. Highly Recommended for all audiences. Grady Harp, June 05

There is one thing i am my family is passionate about and that is WW2. (had many older family members in the services)

But movies distort reality

My Father's father was in the sevice and told many stories. My Mothers Father was Italian and in the Italian navy(who is mentioned saving lots of his comrads in a book. I'll ask my father to give me the title)

Whenever i wanted a history lesson i would ask them. I suggest we ask our elders for these stories before they are gone( I miss my grandfather. He passed several years ago at this time). Hollywood is just a cheap imitation of life.

Whenever i visit the USS Intrepid (11)or the USS New Jersey,i look to the older members of the staff for stories. they have many interseting details of what happened

I wish i could go to Omaha beach or Pearl harbor.

Tina, this film does't pretend to be a history lesson - but it is a compelling introspection of the effect war has on men's lives.

And good drama is supposed to either make you think or feel and ideally both (IMO of course)