Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Star Trek Titan: Taking Wing

has anyone here read this book series yet? In April they released book one called "Taking Wing" and what it is is the story about Riker and his adventures as Captain of the U.S.S. Titan, here's the cover of the novel

8820985.jpg

and here's a summary of what the story of the first book is about

In this follow-up to the A Time To . . . series, Captain William Riker and the crew of the "Titan" are sent to Romulus to set up joint talks. But the remnants of the dreaded Tal Shiar, the Romulan intelligence service, are regrouping for a power play of their own

Book Two Called "The Red King" comes out in September.

I've read many good reviews of this book and was wondering what everyone here thinks. I plan to get it today and will give my review in a week or two when I finish it.

I've read that book a few days ago... it's actually quite good (though no Jean-Luc scenes are included :lol: ). I'm really looking forward to reading the conclusion of all the happenings... I liked the book... :hug:

Edited by Mrs.Picard

I saw that in the book store, but I don't have the time for another book.

this book is really good, I've already read about 126 pages in one day, so I'm close to half way through. This book is interesting, I mean no offense by the following, especially with the inclusion of a gay crewman aboard the Titan and a lesbian Klingon. Not that anything is wrong with that, it's just an interesting read to see it included. The book doesn't make a big deal about either of them, but it's there.

It's nice to see change done in a quiet way, doesn't hurt the story at all, and it shouldn't either. Anyway, I just thought I'd voice my opinion so far of this book, I really like it. Maybe it influenced some of you to go out and get it, it's really good.

I found chapter one online, (below) Based on this I want this book!

SYNOPSIS:

THE BEGINNING OF A NEW STAR TREK ® ODYSSEY

After almost a decade of strife against foes such as the Borg, the Cardassians, the Klingons, and the Dominion, the United Federation of Planets is at the dawn of a new era. Starfleet is renewing its mission of peaceful exploration, diplomacy, and the expansion of knowledge. Among the starships spearheading that endeavor is the U.S.S. Titan, commanded by Captain William T. Riker and manned by the most biologically varied and culturally diverse crew in Starfleet history.

But their mission does not begin according to plan.

In the wake of Star Trek ® Nemesis, Praetor Shinzon, slayer of the Romulan Senate, is dead. The power vacuum created by his demise has put the Romulan Star Empire, longtime adversary of the Federation, at the brink of civil war. Competing factions now vie for control of their fragmenting civilization, and if the empire should fall, that entire area of the galaxy may destabilize.

To restore order to the region, Titan 's long-anticipated mission of exploration is delayed as Starfleet assigns Riker to set up power-sharing talks among the Romulan factions. But even as the first tentative steps are taken toward building a new Romulus, the remnants of the Tal Shiar, the dreaded Romulan intelligence service, are regrouping behind the scenes for a power play of their own. With no other help available, Riker and the Titan crew become the last hope to prevent the quadrant from falling into chaos.

Chapter One: Romulus, Stardate 56828.8

Click For Spoiler

yep. that's the first chapter! :lol: I'm not gonna say who, but the operative turns out to be someone we all know, read the book to find out who! I'm already almost finished with the book, I'm on about page 226 and there's 360+ pages in the book, I'll definitely have it finished by tomorrow.

I'm telling ya, the first adventure of the Titan is very interesting and fun. You are introduced to a whole entire new crew, but my favorite new character is their doctor, Dr. Ree. He's literally like a dinosaur, some even call him that, most closely resembling a Raptor from Jurassic Park. Almost everyone is afraid of him, but he's very gentle. This book is great, get it! :hug:

It sounds interesting but right now I am still in the middle of the time to books. I was just wondering do they tell what kind of ship the titan is?

yep, the U.S.S. Titan is a Luna class ship. I'm already closer to being finished with this book! :lol: I just looked and the novel is 359 pages, a little shorter than I thought, and I'm on page 299!

This is another hard to put down book I recommend!

I also liked Dr. Ree best, I would love to see a pic of him on the cover of the next novel or something. :blink: A Raptor as a doctor, now that would surely help to erase one's fear of doctors. :blink: :laugh:

I also liked the fact that the Titan's crew consists of such a tremendous mix of species... it really creates a lot of interesting interactions :lol:

As for the gay character... I sooo much love that! I always wondered what happened to Sean Hawk's boyfriend after the novel "Rogue" in which he first appeared (I think :laugh: ) - now I know. :rolleyes:

I finished the book a few hours ago. Great book! I really do look forward to the next one, Dr. Ree should be on the cover of a future novel! :rolleyes:

I too ended up liking the Trill Renul Keru, the gay character of this series. He was a very good commander and security cheif. Didn't hurt the story at all, which is a good thing.

I Have got Titan too and I was wondering if anyone knew how Tuvok and Aktar ( I may have mispelt that) knew at the end. I am tring not to be too specific and spoil the story, hope I am confusing enough.

Salyama.

I Have got Titan too and I was wondering if anyone knew how Tuvok and Aktar ( I may have mispelt that) knew at the end.

The first appearance of the Neyel, in which they encountered Tuvok and Akaar aboard the U.S.S. Excelsior, can be seen in 2298: The Sundered, which is the Lost Era novel by Andy Mangels and Mike Martin.