Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Picard/Data Friendship

I need some help here. I've seen half of TNG out of order via re-runs. Only saw seasons 6 and 7 in order, for the most part. Here's my big question: Weren't Data and LaForge best friends durring the series? If so, how come Picard is portrayed as Data's best friend in the movies? Can someone clarrify wether Picard or LaForge was portrayed as Data's best friend durring the series? Much appreciated and thanks! :laugh:

As far as I can tell Geordi LaForge is Data's best friend during the series, but Jean-Luc is also a close friend to him (if you can say so about a captain/officer relationship).

In the movies Jean-Luc and Data get to know each other better. So it is possible that Data has TWO best friends :laugh:

Mrs. Captain Picard

Data always referred to Geordi as his best friend.

I see Picard as being a mentor and role model to Data. They always had a very special relationship, even during the series. It was Picard that Data would turn to when he had questions or needed advice regarding his quest to be more human. I've always seen their relationship on par to a wonderful father/son or brothers type of relationship.

I see Picard as being a mentor and role model to Data.  They always had a very special relationship, even during the series.  It was Picard that Data would turn to when he had questions or needed advice regarding his quest to be more human.  I've always seen their relationship on par to a wonderful father/son or brothers type of relationship.

I'd agree with that. Anyway, someone can have more than one friend, even if they are an android.

Picard is good friends with Data in the movies because they're the ones getting payed the big bucks. You'll notice Spiner's name jumps ahead of Frakes in the credits for FC and INS. But maybe it was just because Frakes was directing.

I see Picard as being a mentor and role model to Data.  They always had a very special relationship, even during the series.  It was Picard that Data would turn to when he had questions or needed advice regarding his quest to be more human.  I've always seen their relationship on par to a wonderful father/son or brothers type of relationship.

I'd agree with that. Anyway, someone can have more than one friend, even if they are an android.

Stardate:213485.8

Well said! :laugh:

Picard is good friends with Data in the movies because they're the ones getting payed the big bucks. You'll notice Spiner's name jumps ahead of Frakes in the credits for FC and INS. But maybe it was just because Frakes was directing.

Actually, durring the series, it was Picard, Riker, then actor's names in alphabetical order. For the movies, it was the same accept it was Picard, Riker, Data, then actor's names by alphabetical order.

Exactly!

And I agree with Rjo too...people can have more than one best friend. I have a lot of friends here and a couple I consider as best friends. And I have a handful of friends(ranging in age of 3 to around 75 years old), ton of aquaintances, and a couple best friends outside the boards too. So, everyone, regardless of gender or species, can have more than one friend or best friend.

And CJLP...

Actually, durring the series, it was Picard, Riker, then actor's names in alphabetical order. For the movies, it was the same accept it was Picard, Riker, Data, then actor's names by alphabetical order.
This is so true! Often people star giong "Oh, It is a money issue. That is why they get to be the main actors listed first on the list. But people ARE comparing the series' credits to the movies' when they make that statement.

Here is how I see it, in the series, during duty shifts Geordie and Data were (almost) always working together and their friendship was more 'informal', a "just hanging out" sort of relationship. Picard's and Data's relationship was different, it had more 'formal' tone to it, Picard was always teaching Data something. That setup did seem to change when the movies started except for Generations, after that I would say some as yet unknown to us event changed the dynamics of Geordie’s and Data’s relationship, perhaps Geordie hooked up with a steady, causing Data to spend more time with Picard (?)

Well, if you think about it, other then having breakfast with Beverly most mornings, Picard did not "hang out" with anyone. Data is not a private man and likes to be with others so he can add to his understanding or the human equation. Geordi and Data had a good understanding of each other and Geordi was one of the first people that ever accepted Data as a PERSON.

I think that while Data learned much from Picard, Picard also learned much from Data. He could see his crew through Data's eyes and also rediscover things vicariously when Data discovered them.

Well, if you think about it, other then having breakfast with Beverly most mornings, Picard did not "hang out" with anyone. Data is not a private man and likes to be with others so he can add to his understanding or the human equation. Geordi and Data had a good understanding of each other and Geordi was one of the first people that ever accepted Data as a PERSON.

I think that while Data learned much from Picard, Picard also learned much from Data. He could see his crew through Data's eyes and also rediscover things vicariously when Data discovered them.

I agree Lessa.

It is possible to have more than one best friend, and for them to be best friends in different ways, which is how I see Data/Geordi and Data/Picard. Although when I think of Data's best friend I always think of Geordi, Picard is also one of his, just on a different level and in a different way...

I think Data see Picard as his role model to be more human (I remember him said it.. Just remember in which episode or movie)

And I think Picard sees in Data the best facets of humanity we took for granted.

I consider their relationship to be one of exchange of vision, of situation. A Mentor and a pupil, Picard trying to make understand to Data was humanity is.

The friendship between Geordi and Data is more ... well.. buddies

I think Data see Picard as his role model to be more human (I remember him said it.. Just remember in which episode or movie)

And I think Picard sees in Data the best facets of humanity we took for granted.

I consider their relationship to be one of exchange of vision, of situation. A Mentor and a pupil, Picard trying to make understand to Data was humanity is.

The friendship between Geordi and Data is more ... well.. buddies

Damn, you beat me to it. :D Yeah, I'd definitely say Picard was Data's mentor in his quest for humanity and whatnot. Obviously, in a mentor-protoge relationship, a close bond develops, which is what we see between Picard and Data.

Click for Spoiler:

If only Data hadn't 'died' at the end of Nemesis, we might have gotten to see how that relationship translated into the CO/XO dimension that would have been added to their relationship.

I think that the relationship between Data and Picard is similar to that between Kirk and Spock. In the delated scene of Nemesis, which was on the DVD, for example, there is an explanation of this friendship - Picard says that his crew is for him his family and so he's sad because Riker and Troi get away. But Data replies that for him there isn't any possible alternative family except that of the Enterprise. It's a pity that the director has cut this scene. However, I think that Data considers both important friends, Picard and La Forge, because in Generations he is sad because La Forge is captured by the Klingons and in Nemesis he sacrifies his life in order to save Picard.

He is too good with his friends...

bye

star rose

Here is how I see it, in the series, during duty shifts Geordie and Data were (almost) always working together and their friendship was more 'informal', a "just hanging out" sort of relationship. Picard's and Data's relationship was different, it had more 'formal' tone to it, Picard was always teaching Data something. That setup did seem to change when the movies started except for Generations, after that I would say some as yet unknown to us event changed the dynamics of Geordie’s and Data’s relationship, perhaps Geordie hooked up with a steady, causing Data to spend more time with Picard (?)

maybe geordi didnt like data as much after he wussed out and let geordi be tortured by soran

Well, I didn't really see Data and Picard as best friends more like a father son sort of relationship and of course a great care and affection for eachother. I have always seen Leforge as Data's best friend because Geordi always was concerned with Data's safety and his quest for humanity, this is evident in Generations, Insurrection, not so much First contact because they were seperated, and most definately in Nemesis.

Now someone said they are sad that they killed off Data and that we cannot continue this, But when you think about B-4 has all Data's self, who's to say that Leforge won't go into making a new Data shell (LeForge being the one with the most knowledge of Data) and we'll have our old Data back :laugh:

At least the Data/LaForge friendship wasn't forgotten about. In ST:FC, they have very few scenes together becuase Geordi spends most of the movie on Earth. In ST:I, we see get reminders... in ST:N, Data asks Geordi to go with him, probably so Data could spend his final moments on the Enterprise with his best friend. The nod Geordi gives Data says it all. Did anyone notice that Geordi cried at the wake?

In regards to the change in the relationships from the series to the movies,we have to look at the events of the last episode and the first movie.

In "all good things..." Picard realizes how much his officers mean to him as friends ( the last scene of Picard joining the poker game and no longer isolating himself from the others)

In Star Trek: Generations Picard lost his biological family ( pushing him closer to his 'adopted' family),Data activates the emotion chip (interacting with his friends on a truly emotional level for the first time),Laforge is captured and tortured because of Data's fear-induced inaction(I don't think we should underestimate the impact of that on Geordi,if only on a subconscious level),and the Enterprise-D was lost, forcing Picard and crew to deal with the loss of their home and fighting to stay together as a crew for service together on Enterprise-E (these are some of the most skilled officers in starfleet and I'm sure there were other assignments for them)

..and all that without even touching on the events of the last three movies!

So I think it's understandable that they have changed as people,given what they have been through together it would be strange if things did stay the same!! :laugh:

personally I believe Picard and Data got closer after ST:FC because of the way Picard stayed to get Data back, plus how they both have the experience of being assimilated by the borg and brought back - they share a very uncommon experience.

personally I believe Picard and Data got closer after ST:FC because of the way Picard stayed to get Data back, plus how they both have the experience of being assimilated by the borg and brought back - they share a very uncommon experience.

That's an excellent point and one I've never heard mentioned before!

Up until that time (ST:1st Contact) Picard was isolated by his grief, humiliation,and guilt over his assimilation, how could anyone (even someone as gifted as Counselor Troi) help him,how could they truly understand and then Data was taken by the Borg and suddenly a friend understood, Picard was no longer a man alone in his pain.

Edited by welfconfed

What was he then if he wasnt assimilated? - Did he or did he not become a part of the collective, even just for a short time? Edited by Cramase

That's a good explanation, except that Data wasn't assimilated.

True in Data's case it was almost the exact opposite to Picard's experience.

Where Picard's humanity was suppressed by the technology of the Borg, Data's technological nature was overwhelmed by "the flesh" ( I know he was tempted for only a fraction of a second, but "for an android that can be an eternity") and being abducted an physically violated (in Data's case the removal of android components and the addition of flesh and blood, in Picard's the implantation of cybernetic components) by the Borg is a shared trauma by the same perpetrators,even if the method of assault was different. Assimilation or not, it is still a source of emotional

pain and confusion which both men are uniquely qualified to help the other through.

Edited by welfconfed

I think LaForge is his best friend. They work together etc... Picard is his friend undoubtedly buy I am gonna have to stick with LaForge.