Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Trek Novels, become too politicky?

Have Trek Novels become too politicky for you?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Have Trek Novels become too politicky for you?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know, I never read em

I think so yes. I was over at Amazon.com reading excerpted first chapters of new novel releases, seven out of the nine I read had to do with politics instead of explorations. Everything from Worf's Ambassadorship to a new Federation Presidential election was covered. Oh and terrorist attacks were usually somehow the crux of every story. I suppose it all makes sense given World events but if you want Trek to take you away from it all, I am afraid the choices are limited.

I hadn't seen this post, AE! :blink:

I thought the same when I read the "A Time To..." - series. I didn't like it that much exactly because of this. I want to read TREK novels, not ones that mainly deal with such horrible things like terrorist attacks and stuff. :) I know, it's pretty much what happens in today's world, but Star Trek is supposed to be about the future, and a better future, that is. :)

:blink: Yaaaa! Mrs. Picard to the rescue; thanks!

We're on the same page, all the hope of the future is sucked out of the room if all they are dealing with is modern day problems. This kind of thing was supposed to have been defeated so I wonder why don't they do whatever it they did before to defeat it again?

Or beg to Q for help. :)

You're very welcome, I'm glad I could help :blink:

Hmm I thought the same, they should have dealt with the problems like they did before to eliminate them. But instead of that, Jean-Luc orders secret missions to blow up things and stuff :)

The Q idea sounds great. I'm not sure, though, what he'd want in return for his help. :look: :)

Oh,I don't know....

I like the pure escapism stories,but I also like stories that focus on current relavent issues and deal with them intelligently.The politics don't really bother me too much.

I hear you but 7 out of 9 stories I checked out dealt with politics of the time, I'd rather 7 of them be escapism and 2 on politics.

I suppose recent novels have involved politics. "Taking Wing" that everyone knows I just finished reading had peace talks between the Remans and Romulans, even that had government in it, but luckily it wasn't too much to hurt the story

Star Trek deals with the same stuff that we face everyday, but on a larger stage. Maybe Q had a point.

Politics is an area of Trek that hasn't been touched on all that much, so the fact that the books have decided to look at it is something unique and, might I add, incredibly cool.

The last few A Time To... books and Articles of the Federation look at politics in detail, but that's a welcome change rather than a bad thing IMO.

Edited by Daniel Berry