Sign in to follow this  
trek_dude

King Kong - should i see the original

I am planning on going to see the remake of King Kong when it is released. I have never seen the original 1933 version and was wondering if i should see it before I see the remake.

I don't think it will be necessary, but it might be interesting for you to see it. Peter Jackson must have really LOVED the original and maybe we should see the movie that inspired him to make this new one.

I've only seen bits and pieces of the first one. I remember the 1976 version (I liked it well enough).

There's a lot more to a movie than special effects. I'd recommend you see the original, I enjoyed it, it's a classic in the true sense.

Absolutely.

This film is awesome,a true classic in the mold of Dracula or Frankenstein.Excellent acting,good story.....doesn't need glitzy SFX.

see it, it makes the 70's version look sick IMO, and if you like stop moyion SE you will like this early film

Sure, go ahead. I plan on it. I'm going to see the old War of the Worlds movie before the new one, too. :unsure:

yes you should see the movie, why rob yourself of a great movie experience? They even made a sequel called Son of Kong. You should see the 1976 remake as well, if for no other reason than to see Rene (Odo) in it. He's in the 1976 Kong remake.

This is the second remake of Kong, I wonder what the next remake of Kong will look like? :unsure:

Now, now ... suck is a strong word! I just thought that Jeff Bridges looked incredibly sexy in the flick. And if any of you have seen The Big Lebowski you gotta know that Jeff Bridges looking sexy is a fairly rare and difficult thing! He looked pretty good in "The Jagged Edge" come to think of it ... but Kong and Edge were many, many moons ago.

Plus I always liked Jessica Lange.

I don't think I've watched the original King Kong all the way through. If I have, then it was so long ago that I can't remember. All I can recall is the fact that I didn't like it.

Apparently, Peter Jackson has been wanting to remake King Kong for a long time. Even before he ever started on the Lord of the Rings; even while working on the trilogy, he made his future intentions quite clear. I don't really know why he likes it so much, though. <_<

Judging by the trailer, however, it looks like it will appeal to a general audience, and not only fans of the previous versions of the movie. I don't believe it will matter too much whether or not one decides to see the original before going to see the new remake.

I am planning on going to see the remake of King Kong when it is released. I have never seen the original 1933 version and was wondering if i should see it before I see the remake.

335489[/snapback]

I recommend it. I would point out that Peter Jackson's King Kong is actually the second remake. They did a big budget King Kong film starring Jessica Lang and Jeff Bridges in 1976.

The original has F/X that seem dated now, but the original is a wonder bit of Hollywood mythmaking that has withstood the test of time. By contrast the 1976 version was just a hyped up Godzilla movie with little to recommend it...pity it was never shown on Mystery Science Theater 3000, where it belonged. :msn-wink:

When you see the original, keep in mind it was made more then 70 years ago with a budget that belies what is on screen.

Trivia Note: Seeing King Kong in the theaters as a kid inspired Ishiro Honda to later make his own famous monster film: Gojira (Godzilla) in 1952.

The Original King Kong 1933 was on tv here today on the local Indy Pittsburgh Station Channel 21, i watched, and it holds up storywise to any movie thats been released since IMO

:oops: