Sign in to follow this  
M_5

Is Paramount taking advantage of Trek Fans?

Star Trek fans are some of the loyalist,most devoted beings in this or any other galaxy.We love our Trek and will do just about anything for our favorite obsession.The season sets of the Star Trek shows seem way too expensive.I can't think of any other television show,from the X-Files to....well,anything that costs a hundred or more dollars per season.Is Paramount exploiting the fanbase's devotion in order to rake in the green?I love TOS and DS9,but I haven't paid a penny for any of the season sets and I won't until the price comes down....a lot.

What are your feelings?

Yes, I think they are to a degree. But that's not to say that they are "evil" for that. I can understand that they want to maximize their profits :thumbs: on their product and I'm sure they did a bit of market research and found the maximum price that would be accepted by the majority of consumers. As it is the only full series DVD's that I own are those of DS9. Eventually though I do plan on having all 5 series DVD.

I always thought so, and I never planned to get the season DVDs for $100 each either until they released Enterprise. I never have seen the series before these DVDs came out so I'm buying them, I bought Enterprise Season One a month or two ago, couldn't be happier. Yes, it cost me $107, right now I'm waiting for Season 2.

Enterprise will probably be the only Trek series I will buy the DVDs for, I can record the rest off of TV.

I always thought so, and I never planned to get the season DVDs for $100 each either until they released Enterprise. I never have seen the series before these DVDs came out so I'm buying them, I bought Enterprise Season One a month or two ago, couldn't be happier. Yes, it cost me $107, right now I'm waiting for Season 2.

Enterprise will probably be the only Trek series I will buy the DVDs for, I can record the rest off of TV.

332357[/snapback]

You'll be missing a lot by watching them on TV. They (the TV people) butcher them so they can add extra commercials. Keep watching eBay for lower prices on used sets or even get netflix and rent them. Use recorded episodes from TV as a last resort though.

I love TOS and DS9,but I haven't paid a penny for any of the season sets and I won't until the price comes down....a lot.

What are your feelings?

Just get the DS9 ones.

I love TOS and DS9,but I haven't paid a penny for any of the season sets and I won't until the price comes down....a lot.

What are your feelings?

Just get the DS9 ones.

332362[/snapback]

That, or make your own Star Trek show out of carboard boxes, old shoes and hamsters... It's cheaper!

(As for the question, no more then any other major company)

The box sets are worth every cent ... cast interviews, behind the scenes stuff, hidden files all over the place (at least on DS9). When you think of how much they were charging per episode on VHS, good grief, these DVDs are a steal.

We have all of TNG and DS9. We may start on Voyager, but I'm not sure on that one. We're also buying all the Seinfeld seasons. I just think that it's the only way to fly ... if you like a show, buy it. You'll have it forever and you're kids will be able to watch it, too. You can never count on television, especially now that REALITY TV has taken over the airwaves.

The only Trek DVD set I have so far is season 2 of DS9, and I bought than one used. I do think that Paramount is charging a bit much for the sets. I mean, other studios, like Fox, are selling popular shows like Buffy and 24 for $50, sometimes less than that.

Indeed, even if you have to save up for ages, box sets are more then worth it. eBay is amazing for this kind of thing, I've seen DS9 box sets there for under £25...

I have seen other DVD sets listed in the same price range as Trek. The manufacturer's list price for the following series are all close to or over $100 per season: Deadwood, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, CSI, Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman and that's to name just a few.

I read an interesting article at DVDExclusive.com regarding the pricing. Here's an excerpt:

While studios are generally reluctant to discuss pricing issues on the record, execs say setting prices for TV product is emerging as a complex and subtle art.

The programs' length, the number of discs needed to contain an entire series, the show's demographic appeal, its audience's disposable income, the cost of music clearances and keen competition for shelf space at retail are all critical factors in setting prices, according to studio sources.

I think the third and fourth criteria listed affect Trek's pricing the most.

I don't know about the others, but I got Deadwood, season 1 from HBO for $69.

I don't know about the others, but I got Deadwood, season 1 from HBO for $69.

332499[/snapback]

At Amazon.com the list price for Deadwood is $99.98 but they sell it for $70. Some series are sold at a retail price closer to the list price while others aren't.

It's Great Man!  :thumbs:

332408[/snapback]

$279.37 is a very good price for the full series (DS9). That's the lowest I've seen anywhere.

332511[/snapback]

Me Too Man. Infact, I Was Shocked.

Question: Hi, I wanted to know if these sets are Asian editions?

Answer: If by Asian you mean "Are there Asian markings on the box's and DVD's?", the answer is yes there is. But all DVD's are factory made and new. The only difference I have been able to find so far is that sometimes the cover art on the box is different from the original. I personally don't care if the box is brown, just as long as I can save a large amount of money.

From my experince, not with this company, but with others, the "Asian" DVD's usually end up being bootlegs :thumbs:

The Asian versions of DS9 are the ones I've been getting. I get them for $25 each.

Click For Spoiler
2d341503.jpg

Beware if you buy from that site, you may not be getting what you think you are. Read their FAQ:

http://boxedtvseries.com/faqs.htm

332542[/snapback]

Here's the catch. We are a discount site and therefore, to save you money, you may not get the same box that Wal-Mart has. In other words, you may get different box art. Also, some Asian symbols may be on the box and DVD, since these are made in China.

OMFG, is this a joke?

Me thinks they are in their own words "unscrupulous".

Edited by BKY1701

I've heard the same re: Asian editions.

I only bought Voyager & prob. won't buy any others. I did get a great price on ebay for all of them though. If you're willing to wait several months after they all come out then the price is right!

I've never been so happy being exploited in my life, best $2500, (so far, 3 more ENT seasons and TAS to go) we've ever spent! Still, I sometimes feel a little guilty; we could have done a lot of good local community service with all that cash. :(

I am willing to wait until the prices (possibly) go down in the future. I made the mistake of hurriedly purchasing three DVD sets of the X-Files, which costed nearly $100 each, and a month later the prices in the store were cut in half. :(

In the meanwhile, I'll probably rent them.

Well at least my "BeastMaster" Series Year 1 ("6 DVD's") Year II("6DVD's")Year III("6 DVD's")were fairly resonable prices and hoping I can get "The Lost World" series 1-4 also on DVD eventually.

:) :( :( :)

Well...I've Talked With My Brother, Who Knows Alot More About This Stuff Than I Do.  Says There More Than Likely Bootlegs.

332728[/snapback]

That's what I thought. I've had soem bad experinces with "asian" DVDs.

I just happen to be at star trek.com the other day and they have a survy that you can take and if you do you can get regestered to win the first contact DVD but beware they want a bunch of personal information like name address and so on but the survy is all about would you buy the season sets if they were only 60 US. So I think with no new star trek on they are trying to get more sales buy lowering the price. It does not matter to me I still can't afford it. On the other note beware of the asian DVD sets the ones I have seen the last episode on every disk cuts off before the end of the show. Sometimes just the credits sometimes into the show.