Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

CGI Aliens

Im putting this in here under Voyager as that is where we say Species 8472. They were great. Really alien and not humanoid. I feel, sometimes, that there are not enough ''aliens'' on Star Trek. The Xindi are now going to be all insectoid and stuff which will be good. Do you like CGI 'alien' aliens? Or would you rather Star Trek stuck with humanoids?

I love the CGI aliens. Species 8472 was just AMAZING. I wish that they would try and make some more of them, get some more variety into the shows.

I love the CGI aliens. Species 8472 was just AMAZING. I wish that they would try and make some more of them, get some more variety into the shows.

I think the Xindi are going to be like that.

I think the Xindi are going to be like that.

Cool, I can't wait to see them now! :lol:

I hope they do a mix of cgi along with humanoid aliens when they're in the expanse, but it would be cool to see the Xindi as a fully rendered cgi race. But I don't want to see silly gun ugn creatures.

I would actually like to see more CGI aliens. I think it's egotistical to think that the majority of species would be humanoid. Up to now, it's just been easier to portray them that way.

I would actually like to see more CGI aliens.  I think it's egotistical to think that the majority of species would be humanoid.  Up to now, it's just been easier to portray them that way.

I agree, Indy. We, as a species, are very self centered and to think that 99% of alien species are humanoid is folly. We need to look no farther than our own planet to see the myriad of species that exist here that are not humanoid.

Stardate:213479.6

I always thought it was kinda annoying the way almost all the alien species were humaniod.I mean come on they make it look like that the humans are the standard for the species.

I think more non-humaniod species would be great. There are only so many combinations of bumps you can put on a person's forehead. They'll end up repeating themselves if they're not careful!

As for most of the aliens being portrayed as humanoid, that is addressed in TNG's "The Chase." There was some ancient species that was humanoid and apparently they started a whole bunch of civilizations who, for the most part, looked like them. It's a good episode with a good story if you haven't seen it.

I had always assumed that in the early series it was the budget and the fact that the (now) neolithic computer systems they had weren't capable of portraying CGI aliens to good effect. Now, of course, there are no excuses...

I thought that the changelings in DS9 were a good idea. Here was an alien that had no primal form and could (and did on several occaisons) change into wierd shapes when it suited their purposes, but only stayed in humanoid form for politeness. This was an indication that not all alien lifeforms are humanoid. Voyager followed on from this with some ultra cool CGI aliens.

For me, the real indication that this humanoid mentality has changed in Star Trek is when we see a non-humanoid captain of a starship... has that ever happened?

For me, the real indication that this humanoid mentality has changed in Star Trek is when we see a non-humanoid captain of a starship... has that ever happened?

Nope. All human. I was kind of hoping that if they did a new series, that the captain would be an alien, but we got Enterprise and Archer (who I am starting to like as the series progresses).

I hate the zillions of humanoid aliens on Star Trek!I've always wanted more non-humanoid aliens.The more unlike us,the better!Enough with the pointed ears and bumpy noses.Give us some sentient mud puddles,or some aquatic-type creatures.Anything so long as it doesn't look like you or me.CGI is great.

I like the way Gene saw it; actors make better aliens, not because they look like us, but because they act like us. We can relate to them. Species 8472 can't even speak. CGI characters that speak tend to look ridiculous. Also, they just don't look as real as other characters. It reminds me that I'm watching a fake show. Boo to the Xindi!

I like the way Gene saw it;  actors make better aliens, not because they look like us, but because they act like us.  We can relate to them.  Species 8472 can't even speak.  CGI characters that speak tend to look ridiculous.  Also, they just don't look as real as other characters.  It reminds me that I'm watching a fake show.  Boo to the Xindi!

If the show has great writing,CGI aliens can be as effective if not more so than human actors.It is ridiculous to have so many humanoids running around,and the theory that a single humanoid race seeded millions of worlds is even more ridiculous.Why should we have to be able to relate to every alien species?Learning to accept and deal with ideas/philosophies that are alien to our own will teach us more about ourselves than constantly seeing aliens that we can point to and say,"Gee,I know just how he feels..."

TOS mixed up the variety of Humanoid vs wisps and "puddles" (<_<) and 'supreme beings', that's one of the great things about TOS.

I think the writers should have a quota of different types of aliens they bring to the table including some CGI's.

ENT has come closest to recapturing the spirit of TOS by using many CGI characters (instead of people in suits) and I hope they keep it up.

I prefer to have most episodes feature actors as aliens, but I'd also like to see a good number of episodes with CGI aliens. Species 8472, the aliens from "Equinox", the way the Borg Queen assembles her self, and so on. Awesome looking aliens. <_<

I like the idea of CGI but we have to rember that the actors are only looking at balls it just makes it alot harder for the actor to act but having one every so often would be good its just cheaper to hire an actor and put bumps on their faces

I like the way Gene saw it;  actors make better aliens, not because they look like us, but because they act like us.  We can relate to them.  Species 8472 can't even speak.  CGI characters that speak tend to look ridiculous.  Also, they just don't look as real as other characters.  It reminds me that I'm watching a fake show.  Boo to the Xindi!

I agree, I think that the CGI aliens are too unrealistic, why would they have aliens looking unhuman, even the aliens that we profess to abduct people are LGM's (Little Green Men). How can say (a big brown slug) survive in a universe with humanoid species with legs and arms and the ability to move around fast and effeciency. If I see ENT to be getting like Star Wars then I say 'BOOOOO', good writing or not, I just dont want to see aliens that look too alien, they just look like oversized human actors.

Also, I believe that Species 8472 looked humaniod as well, they had arms, legs, but were just skinny. It does take a lot of money to do those special effects though, a few CGI aliens would be acceptable, just dont overdo it.