Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

The DaVinci Code

I can see the big fuss about this book, it has some radical ideas in it, at times it was a really good book, but near the end it fell flat for me and became really predictabale and honestly really weak, i knpw next year the movie will be out for this and with Tom Hanks it should be a good movie (best actor alive) anyway back on the topic of the book, has anybody else read it, and do you have the same feelings on it as me

I read the book, and I found it to be good, but also that it could have been so much more.

I was disappointed because I felt he didn't complete the story.

yeah i agree with that, but I also read on and was like damnit I saw that coming a mile away, it should still be a good movie

I guess my main complaint about the book, is he could have added so much depth and layering of stories there.

That was my biggest disappointment with the book.

The idea was an excellent one, I just was thinking with all the acclaim, it should have been much more deeply written.

Lets face it there is a hell of a lot more to do with Mary magdalane (which was a key componany to the story, her and her family#) that wasn't eposed.

If you want more on hre the magdalane conspiricy is a book to read.

It wasn't just the MM aspect for me.

It's been a few years ago that I read it, so I can't site specifics, but it was in many aspects for me from what I recall.

As I said, the story/idea was fascinating, but I almost feel he didn't take it to greater depth because he was told to edit it out so it would be a better seller. Or he just wasn't capable of it.

I tend to think it was the money aspect.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

I'm reading it right now.. It seems good, but i want to know about it now! NOW! I'm only on the third or fourth chapter..... Kinda odd... but not bad... Will give update when done.

I read it and found it to be total blasphemy.

I threw it out with the garbage,which is where it belongs,IMO.

I read it and found it to be total blasphemy.

I threw it out with the garbage,which is where it belongs,IMO.

345447[/snapback]

In all the hubbub about witchcraft in Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, blah, blah, blah, I typically roll my eyes at how silly people get over that kind of thing. All these fundamentalists and the like getting all up in arms over these fantasy books that are no different or any more dangerous than The Wizard of Oz IMO.

The DaVinci Code is the first book I have ever read that I felt guilty as a Christian for having read. IMO it was the first real example of blasphemy I had ever truly seen and understood for what it was. A real eye-opener, and no mistake in the words of Samwise Gamgee.

I've read all manner of things that were not exactly what the Lord would probably want me reading, however, I was so offended by The DaVinci Code that I felt dirty after having read it and GUILTY for even having it in my house. I paid good money for that book and I TREASURE my books ... I tore pages out of this one and threw the divided book away in separate garbage cans. I was actually worried that someone else might read that dangerous piece of trash that I purchased with money I wished I'd just have put in the offering plate instead.

If you really knew me and how liberal I am about books, video games, television and movies, you would be better able to appreciate how strongly this book must have affected and offended me.

In all the hubbub about witchcraft in Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, blah, blah, blah, I typically roll my eyes at how silly people get over that kind of thing. All these fundamentalists and the like getting all up in arms over these fantasy books that are no different or any more dangerous than The Wizard of Oz IMO.

Don’t forget; it’s the same people talking as the people that put us back into the dark ages for the EXACT same reason. If a book disturbs you so much you fell like burning it (or anything equivalent) you need mental help.

Don’t forget; it’s the same people talking as the people that put us back into the dark ages for the EXACT same reason. If a book disturbs you so much you fell like burning it (or anything equivalent) you need mental help.

345481[/snapback]

What's really sad about your comment is that if I had claimed to have been abducted by aliens my mental compentency would be less in question. What's being questioned now is my sanity for believing in Christ and having a valid concern for the souls of my fellow man.

I don't believe in "Answers in Genesis," I don't believe the earth was created in six "man" days, I don't believe in a literal translation of the Old Testament. I DO believe in a literal translation of the New Testament, and in its way, the Da Vinci Code strengthened that belief for me. My concern is not for Christians reading this tripe, it's for people who have no background information other than the writings of feminists and people like Dan Brown who have difficulty accepting the simplicity of the message because it wasn't "sexy" or "spooky" or politically correct enough for their tastes.

345481[/snapback]

I'd have to agree to a point.

Just reminds me of seeing the Nazi's burning the books on film.

What may seem that way to you now, may in fact in hundreds of years have been proven fact or just a myth.

Written word shouldn't be destroyed just because it causes you to have fear with in your own beliefs or insults what you believe to be true.

The book wasn't written to do such a thing. It was a take on the Knights Templar and what it really meant, in this authors imagination.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

How exactly is that like the Nazis?

Gul_Nudrog and I destroyed the copies of this book that we bought and paid for with our own money.I believe that was our right.

What hypocrisy!

If any of the people objecting to destroying this book had in their possessions books written by racists about how all people of a certain race should be killed,or written by a child molester,highlighting his or her crimes,you would throw it away without a moment's thought about the written word....

But because religious people find this offensive,then we're "nazi's" for throwing this piece of literary crap into a dumpster.

So typical.

hypocrisy

(noun) 1 : a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion; 2 : an act or instance of hypocrisy

I see you use that word alot PeeWee, are you sure you are using it in the right context?

If you don't understand the Nazi reference, it's a reference to the closemindedness of book burning. You can destroy or with hold many things in the world but it won't stop other people from desiring them or searching them.

You may destroy anything you own, I myself destroyed some old diaries my Mother had dug up on vacation. :yawn::yawn: , but to burn a book because it offends you is going to extremes.

What would have burning the book have accomplished?

Would it have erased what you read from your memory?

Would it have done anything positive at all?

Not likely.

It's an extreme reaction to something that you most likely shouldn't have completed reading if it had offended you so early on.

That's the thing.

Who are you to make those determinations for me?

Closemindedness is relative.I may think someone who thinks its extreme to destroy a book is closeminded,because they refuse to understand where I'm coming from when I say I destroyed a book that offended me.

I am a very spiritual person.My faith and beliefs are very,very precious to me.So when I read some book where the writer(s) are saying things I find offensive and insulting about my God and my faith,I do what I think should be done with such garbage.I toss it.

That's my right.And I don't even put on my jackboots to do it,either.

As for the words I use.Maybe I do use some incorrectly.I'm just an average country boy,without spit and polish.I have a couple of years of college,but I didn't finish and to be honest,I didn't much pay attention when I was there.But I'm not stupid.There's a world of difference between academic smarts and real-world smarts.So while I may use the inappropriate word from time to time,I still get my points across.

I don't recall saying that I burned anything.I said i threw the book in the garbage,where it belonged,IMO.

That's all I'm going to say on this topic.

I'm sorry if you can't see my pov.But that's your shortcoming and not mine.

I've never had any interest in reading this book. I am more than a little disturbed when people take an admitted work of fiction and consider it "real".

As for burning books, I never have but I have thrown some out - I have read some things so disturbing that I didn't want to be responsible for putting that on someone else.

Anyone that doesn't understand that what we take in by reading or watching etc does affect us isn't fully grasping the influence the world has on them. I can understand people wanting to avoid things that bring them down.

The only reason that i'm reading this book is to find out what its about, as in all the reviews I read, it didn't say what it was about. It seems odd... but, i guess the guy who wrote is is an atheist or believes in "Nature gods" and such... which, doesn't make him a bad guy, just a guy with different ideas then my own. I think if you really hated the book, then throw it out. You bought it, its yours to do with what you want.

Just bought this a few days ago and started reading it, Havnet got a far yet, only bout chapter 10 or 11 but it seems to be a very good book and cant wait to finish it.

Im up to chapter 26 of this book now and i cant put it down, Not many books have grapped me like this one and imnot even half way through.

I'm on chapter 40 or something, and i think that its all a bunch of fiction, and non of it true, seeing as its against everything i believe in. But, its a good story about codes and stuff.. interesting...

It's an interesting book and a well written piece of fiction. The only thing that soured it for me is that Dan Brown claims a lot of things that aren't true to make the story work, and then states that nothing in the book is made up when a vast amount of it is pure fiction.

All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents and secret rituals in this novel are accurate.

Is the exact statement he uses, and it's complete hokum.

I liked it as a work of fiction, and waht he says about the church portraying women in secondary roles is correct (perhpas the only thing that is) the reason is also true, to have dominance over matriachal societies you feed into the down trodden. Over all I liked it, but if I wanted history, I'd be picking up a history book I could reasonably rely on.

I laughed when he said that stuff about constantine.. its funny because he knows less then i did, and i'm in grade nine! Heres a pic of The Last Supper, so you guys can tell me if you see some of the stuff he said was in it...

Click For Spoiler
lastsupp.jpg

and heres the Madonna On The rocks... and, i don't think that Mary's hand is "like a claw"..

Click For Spoiler
madonna1.jpg