Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Patrick Stewart to perform in Williamsburg

From the DailyPress.com

Williamsburg fest says something wicked cool this way comes

Actor Patrick Stewart will visit in October to perform a benefit for the Virginia Shakespeare Festival.

BY DAVID NICHOLSON

June 10 2005

One of the captains of the starship Enterprise will land in Williamsburg in October.

Actor Patrick Stewart has agreed to perform an evening of Shakespeare on Oct. 28 to benefit the Virginia Shakespeare Festival, based at the College of William and Mary. Tickets priced at $60 and $75 go on sale today at the festival box office in Phi Beta Kappa Memorial Hall or by calling 221-2674.

Stewart achieved fame with U.S. audiences as Capt. Jean-Luc Picard on the popular television series "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and in movies such as "X-Men" and "X2." He's equally famous as a member of Britain's Royal Shakespeare Company, appearing in such plays as "The Merchant of Venice," "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and "Henry IV."

He recently completed a four-month run in David Mamet's "A Life in the Theatre" on London's West End and is traveling the world to film "X-Men 3" in various locations.

On Broadway, he played in Arthur Miller's "The Ride Down Mt. Morgan" and as Prospero in "The Tempest," which the festival will present this summer.

Stewart's solo performance, "Uneasy Lies the Head," is a look at Shakespeare's most troubled rulers. The title comes from a line in "Henry IV, Part 2": "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown."

"I'm very, very thrilled," festival artistic director Christopher Owens said.

"He just doesn't do this very often, and this festival hasn't done a star-related fundraiser in the past. It will be great fun for the people involved."

Stewart wants to visit Colonial Williamsburg and might be available to meet W&M students, Owens said. The actor has indirect ties to the festival: His son, Daniel Stewart, appeared in the festival's 1997 production of "Coriolanus."

That'd be interesting to see. His portrayal of Claudius was excellent. (Strange to see him with hair also).

-Wonders if Mrs. Picard has tickets yet. B)

331698[/snapback]

I don't, that is a bit TOO far away for me... :lol: but I'd love to see that, of course. B)

Darn, if I had money and time off work, I'd be there! :lol:

Oh wait, I might end up having money and time off work by then... oh, but wait, if have money and time off work, it means I'm relocating. B)

Seattle's just a hair too far for me to make a road trip!

He's coming to Orlando in November. I'm going to get to meet him there!

Someone should get a video of some of it, as to let us all see it!

332158[/snapback]

Thats probably illegal.

He's coming to Orlando in November. I'm going to get to meet him there!

332157[/snapback]

Do you have details about the Orlando visit or a link?

332178[/snapback]

^

Perhaps I can help... He'll be a guest at the Sci-fi Vulkon Convention, details over here  :thumbs:

332215[/snapback]

Exactly, and as you can see by my signature, I am going :eek: (Gold Weekend, I get to meet him and Linda Park in person!)

Edited by sea trooper