Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Nightmares

Does any one here have nightmare regularly? It seems recently that I have a nightmare every other day. Some are unrealistic, i.e. the dream I had last night where a guy was freaking out because an eye was growing on his right hand. Or realistic nightmares, like the dream I had here:

I was playing on the beach with my family and all of a sudden I hear a loud humming sound, so loud I have to cover my ears, but it does no good. I look up and it's a giant missle that flies over my head. I watch it as it hits a city real close to the beach I'm at. I can see the buildings explode as I see a mushroom cloud rise. And all I can do is stand there until the shockwave gets to where I am. Then I woke up.

That was probably the scariest dream I've had. I just pray that's not what I actually experience one day.

Anyway, what's the scariest nightmare you have had?

I have two reoccurring nightmares, always when life is full of stress and change.

One is of being a child and hiding in the bomb shelter of the local church during a nuclear strike. Then eventually we "go for it" and I am riding in the handlebars of my Mother's bike.

The other is of those aliens dressed in nun habits, walking single file into my bedroom. :naughty:

I think the war dreams have more to do with life feeling like a war, beliefs, dreams being under fire.

Does any one here have nightmare regularly? It seems recently that I have a nightmare every other day. Some are unrealistic, i.e. the dream I had last night where a guy was freaking out because an eye was growing on his right hand. Or realistic nightmares, like the dream I had here:

I was playing on the beach with my family and all of a sudden I hear a loud humming sound, so loud I have to cover my ears, but it does no good. I look up and it's a giant missle that flies over my head. I watch it as it hits a city real close to the beach I'm at. I can see the buildings explode as I see a mushroom cloud rise. And all I can do is stand there until the shockwave gets to where I am. Then I woke up.

That was probably the scariest dream I've had. I just pray that's not what I actually experience one day.

Anyway, what's the scariest nightmare you have had?

328238[/snapback]

Years ago, when I was elementary school, we used to have air raid drills. When the alarm went off, we would proceed to the bomb shelter under the school. It was pretty strange and scary. The nights of the days we had the drills, I would get nightmares of getting bombed. It was pretty scary. Something must be causing you to get those kinds of dreams.

Edited by Data

since concord crashed a few years ago I have dreams of planes crashing, it didn't help that today my boyfriend flew to germany, imagine the dreams i'e been having.

:naughty: my nightmare is a very trival one. I always dearm I am bald and it is so gross. I think I have these dreams because I am the only male over 40 in my family to still have his hair. :naughty:

As far as my consciousness goes I have never had a nightmare. I can barely even remember my dreams if I have one. The only thing close to a nightmare would be a dream where I am falling and I suddenly wake up in a fright.

Not regularly no, I usually sleep like a stone.

I had many nightmares (some recurring...) as a kid though. My most frightening nightmare as an adult has to be the time I dreamt I was looking at a far off UFO. In the dream a voice in my head said: "So you'd like to see a UFO close up huh?" Just then the UFO zoomed in at me stopping within feet of my face; gray aliens were visible in portholes looking at me. I woke with such a start it took more than an hour for me to shake it off.

I remember another now, not really a nightmare though. This dream occurred along time ago; M and I had no proper bed frame, it was a box spring and mattress sitting directly on the floor...

I dreamt I was asleep on my stomach with my arm hanging over the mattress & my hand laying the floor when suddenly my hand went out of phase (lost solidity) and fell through the floor until my arm was outstretched as far as it really does. In the dream I laid there for a split second amazed at what happened then realized what happened was impossible and woke with a fright while simultaneously pulling my hand out of the floor. I then realized I was laying on my stomach with my arm hanging over the bed just as I was in the dream, I became puzzled with wondering if my hand had really gone through the floor or not. To this day I'm not sure.

I used to have a recurring one of my home being on fire and everyone I loved dying in it.. that dream stopped when I reached my preteen years. Strangest thing is, I do not have a concious fear of fire. Matter of fact, I kind of collect candles.. and when a lab experiment required us to set some chemical on fire, I would be the one to volunteer to do it.

I also had one concerning drowning. Now that one was a fear I have when I am awake too... the old saying of muscle weighing more than fat, I really do not have a very high body fat score and sink better than I swim. I do not like being in water more than 8 or 9 feet deep, and only 6 feet deep if the water is cold (I really dislike being in pools, lakes the ocean if the water is cold... well it may be only cool to some people, but to me it would feel like it is freezing.) I have been in deeper water and it bugs me (one place happened to be this swimming/diving training center.. I think the water was about 12 or 14 feet deep. I liked the diving part, had to convince myself not to think of the depth of the water. So that translates into the dreams I have.

Scariest, I have a few that would classify as scary to a lot of people. One being a replay of my car crash a year ago. I was the middle car in a three car pile up(My car was rammed by a large truck that was going at 45mph, I was waiting behind another car at a stoplight)That event scared the heck out of me, and to have it come back in nightmares was just about as bad.

I have also had pain induced nightmares that are pretty bad (the pain is from an injury sustained at work 2 years ago yesterday.. June 2, 2003, that left me with permanent damage and a medical condition). But I have learned to deal with them and the pain & other problems with my arm over the last two years.

Have any of ye ever tried lucid dreaming to avoid your nightmares. It's really quite easy to learn how to do it.

What's that?

329813[/snapback]

It's where you learn to recognize when your having a dream and become able to influence the direction or events in the dream, that correct Matt?

Have any of ye ever tried lucid dreaming to avoid your nightmares. It's really quite easy to learn how to do it.

329803[/snapback]

I've been interested in it for a long time but have resisted learning more about it out of fear I may become addicted to my dreamland and thus neglect real life.

329803[/snapback]

I used to do that about 20 years ago. I even made up stories which I could continue from night to night. I got quite good at it. Even when I was woken by an alarm clock. I have not had a nightmare in years.

I even studdied for an exam in my sleep.

Edited by Data

329803[/snapback]

It is something I have done.. I do not think per se I ever learned how to do it, I just could. And it could turn into an ongoing story.... matter of fact, that is how I started working on a story (never wrote it down more than a few pages once when I was 12, then tried to restart it when I was in my early 20's). This is the story that concerns the character which eventually I would go on to choose as my screenname here :frusty: (well and the variation on it that I use at other boards).

Most recent nightmare I had (people would not see it as bad per se, but it worried me so very much) was when I was in South Florida and it was the night before my competition. I had a nightmare where I was standing onstage with the other competitors and the musician started playing the music for a Reel, and I stepped out when it was my turn and accidentally danced the Light Jig (a completely different dance, timing, rhythym... everything) which essentially would either remove me from the dance in that specific competition or at least make me finish in last with an extremely low score. Well, I panicked, woke up and began practicing the Reel in my hotel room for an hour. Here I am dancing around in my pajamas at about 1 in the morning(I had fallen asleep around 11:30pm), because I was sure it was really going to happen.

I got to the competition and the moment arrived. And just like in my dream we compete the reel first, and like in my dream I was in the first grouping of my division to compete. But I took a deep breath and began, and did the right dance and ended up winning. So I guess that nightmare kind of paid off. I may have finished 6th in the light jig, but the competition was very very close we were all within a couple points of each other. But the one that was in my nightmare... and the fact that it got me so bad I was practicing in the middle of the night ended up being strangely beneficial.

Edited by Yillara_Soong