Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Threshold

What rating would you give "Threshold"?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Threshold"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it

Production: 132

Season: 2 Episode: 15

DVD Disc: 4

Air Date: 01.29.1996

Stardate: 49373.4

Review Pending...

Cast:

Kate Mulgrew as Kathryn Janeway

Robert Beltran as Chakotay

Roxann Dawson as B'Elanna Torres

Robert Duncan McNeill as Tom Paris

Ethan Phillips as Neelix

Robert Picardo as The Doctor

Tim Russ as Tuvok

Garrett Wang as Harry Kim

Jennifer Lien as Kes

Guest Cast:

Raphael Sbarge as Michael Jonas

Mirron E. Willis as Rettik

Creative Staff:

Director: Alexander Singer

Teleplay By: Brannon Braga

Story By: Michael DeLuca

Related Items:

antiproton radiation treatment

Transwarp Evolutionary Syndrome

Shuttlecraft, Type 12

Kalavian biscuits

Paris Delight

A pretty cool episode. Though I thought it was a bit strange that we would evolve into an amphibian when it's what we already evolved from (watch Before the Dinosaurs). There is no predetermined evolutionary path for the human race, time will tell what we turn into depending on environmental conditions. Different humans who live and grow on different worlds will also stray from the path of the evolutionary route as, say, the humans who live and grow on Earth. Like said, depending on survival conditions. An-y-who, this was a great episode that creeped me out a bit which is saying something.

4- ONLY because of that scientific flaw.

I give it a 5. Since time had no relevance, it really is just as likely that we would devolve as evolve, and so the possibility that the Doctor was erroneous remains in play. My concern was in TNG, in the series finale, Admiral Riker orders a retreat back to Federation space at Warp 13. If everywhere-ness occurs at 10, no need for 13. Besides, I thought it was logarithmic as to the speed of light. Anyway, that didn't detract from the enjoyment of the episode. I like the banter with Janeway in Sick Bay at the end.

completely agree with you, it doesn't really make since about Warp 10 being the tops when the TNG future are hitting Warp 13. Maybe the Voyager crew is wrong and they just think Warp 10 is it. I'm sure someone has some explanation. Overall, I really loved this episode. The season and series has finally started to get really good by this point with this episode and the episode before it. Not a fan of the episode saying that in millions of years we evolve into walking catfish. On the TOS episode "Errand of Mercy", the people on that planet evolved into a higher lifeform and we turn into catfish! Not to mention all of the other episodes that show people don't devolve. If that is our future, no thanks! I'm perfectly happy where I'm at.

5 out of 5 stars

I am surprised at the high ratings. Brandon Braga, who wrote it, called it a big "doozy," and said that he didn't pull it off. I didn't like the devolution in concept or more importantly, in presentation, so I gave it a 1.

You have to remember that breaking the Warp 10 threshold didn't speed up evolution per se. Evolution does not take place in a single generation. A mutation can but mutation is not evolution. You also have to remember that evolution is a process of natural selection, and traveling at warp speed is not natural.

Of course the real story is Janeway seducing Paris. What a dirty cougar!

Sign in to follow this