Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Trekkies

Why do some fans hate the first Trekkies? I think it represents what it says, Trekkies. There are really no Trekkers on the first movie. Trekkies are the ones that dress up in uniform in public and that's what it showed. I really do like it. If you don't like the first one, you would love the second. They show both Trekkies and Trekkers. Trekkers are the majority of Trek fans, the ones who don't dress up and don't wear uniforms in stores, but that's not what the first documentary is about.

I liked the first one, the story about how James Doohan saved a girl from suicide is touching. I really like both of them.

Edited by Gamera

I was disgusted when I watched Trekkies. I call it a mockumentary. It really makes Trek fans look like fools. My opinion is that Denise Crosby was just cashing in on her Trek fame to make a quick buck. I refuse to watch the 2nd one.BTW, nobody outside Trek fandom knows the difference between a Trekkie and a Trekker. They look at a piece of garbage like this and think we all act that way.

:laugh: you really are hurting yourself by not watching the second one. They despell the myth of what a Trek fan is in the second film. Like Gabriel said in the second movie, you can't take things too seriously. These people on the first movie live like this in everyday life. Are we "normal" fans saying that it's a sick way to live like that? I personally find nothing wrong with people dressing up and acting like that. If they want to do that, I'm all for it. Like I said before, I don't mind it at all when peope think I'm like that.

True, they should have had normal fans on the first movie and should have not just shown the extreme fans, but that's exactly what they do on the second movie. That's why you need to watch it, they even go into detail on the difference between the two fan groups.

I liked both Trekkies movies. It shows people who are really hard-core fans though. Shame there is not many Trekkers in the movies

But I think they should branch out in to Star Wars territory and show thier hard core fans too

I try not to offend people with comments I make, so if ever you are offended by what I say, don't be, because that is never my intention.

I think Trekkies 2 made a good start by showing the Trekkers, they should go into it a little more with Trekkies 3 which is coming. But the thing is, us regular fans are very boring. If I had the money to buy a uniform, I think I would on occasion wear it in public. What other TV series has had such a fan base that causes them to dress up like them on an everyday basis? It is a HUGE complement to Trek that we love it enough to do something like that. You will never see Lost in Space uniforms being worn in public. It's a deep love and appreciation for Trek that causes them to do this. I understand them completely, I would do the same if I had a uniform to wear. Trek pride!

Like you said, there could be some Star Wars that wear Han Solo's clothes some where but who knows.

I wish Trekkers could be more tolerant of Trekkies, were all fans of the same show & it's not like Trekkers are guilty of goofiness by association. Trekkies have in my experience livened things up at Cons; they are fun.

Btw, I wonder what the Star Wars counterparts to Trekkers & Trekkies are (affectionately) called? :laugh:

IMO there is no distinction between a Trekkie and a Trekker. It is just personal preference.

I hated Trekkies because it took the stereotypical view of what a Trek fans is and played it to the hilt, making us all look bad in the process. WE know that the people who appeared in Trekkies are extreme examples of Trek fans but the media and, to some extent, the general public think we are ALL like that.

When Trekkies first came out, there were quite a few stories about various people feeling betrayed. I would have to say that is borne out by comparing lists of who appeared in Trekkies to who appeared in Trekkies 2.

Trekkies:

Majel Barrett Roddenberry; James Doohan; Walter Koenig; DeForest Kelley; Nichelle Nichols; Leonard Nimoy; William Shatner; George Takei; Grace Lee Whitney; LeVar Burton; John de Lancie; Michael Dorn; Terry Farrell; Jonathan Frakes; Chase Masterson; Kate Mulgrew; Robert O'Reilly; Ethan Phillips; Brent Spiner; Wil Wheaton; Robert Beltran, Roxann Dawson; Robert Duncan McNeill; Robert Picardo; Tim Russ; Brannon Braga; Richard Arnold; Dr. Marc Okrand; Jeri Taylor; Michael Westmore; David Livingston and others

Trekkies 2:

Vaughn Armstrong; Richard Arnold; Robert Meyer Burnett; Casey Biggs; John Billingsley; Brannon Braga; Lolita Fatjo; Leslie Fish; Michael Forest; David A. Goodman; Richard Herd; Dominic Keating; Jacqueline Lichtenberg; Cirroc Lofton; Phil Morris; Ethan Phillips; Tracey Scoggins; Connor Trinneer; Nana Visitor; Joanie Winston; Ben Yalow

What a difference!

What other TV series has had such a fan base that causes them to dress up like them on an everyday basis?

325764[/snapback]

I carry a towel on my right shoulder everywhere everywhen. :lol: :P [Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference ].
Btw, I wonder what the Star Wars counterparts to Trekkers & Trekkies are (affectionately) called? :laugh:

325897[/snapback]

I remember the term Star Wars knerd, pronounced like the “kn” in Jedi knights. :P

Trekkies 2:

Leslie Fish

325976[/snapback]

Hehe, she's a great filker! She makes alot of filk songs concerning Star Trek, like a “The Tribble is a Fuzzy Beast” and so forth.

I did like both shows but I do have to agree in the first film they showed to many of the extreme fans. If you think about though showing the normal fans would be boring and they would not sell as many copies so I kind of see why they did what they did but that kid that was in the first movie that went to a con in a uniform they showed him again and showed him in a better light as well as the women that wore her uniform on the whitewater jury. I really think they were trying to fix their mistakes from the first film. I also have to agree if people can walk aroung in a football jersy why can't I wear a uniform?

If Trekkies had said that the fans they were profiling were extreme that would be one thing however they presented them as if they were typical Trek fans. That's what I object to.

i just re-watched "Trekkies 2". Like I said in another post, i perfer this one, casue the fans they interviewed were not waaaay out there.

I have the urge to buy a Warp 11 cd now :dude:

I haven't seen either. From the sound of it it appears to be somewhat insulting, which is what Patrick Stewart said about it. However I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

it's not insulting at all, it just that the first movie only showed the extreme fans and not just the regular ones. It does not say one bad thing about them, but it gives a stereotype that all fans are like that. That's why some don't like this movie.

But on Trekkies 2, they do interview the "normal" fans. so they make up for what they missed in the original movie. I personally like both

But on Trekkies 2, they do interview the "normal" fans. so they make up for what they missed in the original movie.

328722[/snapback]

As far as I'm concerned, too little, too late. The damage was already done.

In the area of fans Trekkies don't have the best reputation from the little I know of the film it couldn't have helped.

I must admit that I enjoyed watching them both, BUT I really don't think that either of them did much to promote our cause.

Of course, we're all able to laugh at ourselves because we as Trek fans can spot the exaggerations and exploitation of the fans who have kind of gone off the deep end with their obsession.

But people watching these shows who think that Trek fans are all like that, (and I think that those people include many of the decision-makers at Paramount), hurts our chances of ever really getting a mainstream, top-quality, Star Trek movie that really shows respect for all of us fans. I think that the stereotyping of Star Trek fans, underlined, supported, and perpetuated by both these "mockumentaries" helps justify the instant, out-of-hand discounting of our opinions on how the Trek franchise should go forward -- new series, upcoming movies, etc. etc.

People with power in Hollywood see us as a joke. Sad and hurtful, but unfortunately, true.

I just finished watching the movie again this morning and I really do enjoy it. I also noticed that there were some normal fans in the movie too, but they interview just the Trekkies in this movie. It does give a stereotype, but I don't mind that at all, definitely not as much as some fans. The only really big thing that I would say that was a little embarassing was the guy in the first movie who dressed up like the wife of a person on "the Royale". Besides that, I have no problem with these people, if they want to live that way good for them. It actually inspired me to be a bigger Trek fan.