Sign in to follow this  
krysis

How do you say Live Long And Prosper?

OK this is for all the Hebrew speaking Vulcans. I would like to know how to greet in the Hebrew language. Does anyone of our fans know how to speak Hebrew?

What is Hebrew?

325678[/snapback]

Hebrew is the language that the people of Israel is talking in.

:laugh:

isreal?

I though hebrew was one of the offical languages (others being Farsi and English)

Herbrew is the language Jews all of the world communicate in to understand eatchother (They all speak differnt languages because they are from different countries)

its like Latin. If i speak latin to another Latin speaking Catholic they will understand me.

Yiddish use to be this language.But since it was a Polyglot( a dialect composed of many languages) it died out

Unfortuantly i don't speak Hebrew so i can't tell you what Live Long in Porsper is

isreal?

I though hebrew was one of the offical languages (others being Farsi and English)

Herbrew is the language Jews all of the world communicate in to understand eatchother (They all speak differnt languages because they are from different countries)

325768[/snapback]

That was what I meant.

All Jews look upon themselfes as people of Israel, even if they have never been in that country.

:laugh:

Jews think of themselves as the children of Israel, or Zion, that's why they are called Zionists. I'm Jewish, but the only Hebrew I know is the prayers for Passover and Hanukkah.

I found an online English to Hebrew translator engine but when I paste the result here the board changes it to this: çéä àøåê åäöìç. <That does not represent the same Hebrew text the translator gave me. Let me try putting it in a code box...

חיה ארוך והצלח.

Yes! That is "live long and prosper" in Hebrew according to the translator I used. Good luck finding the pronunciation.

I'm not 100% sure if this is correct, but I have looked around a lot for the pronunciation of it from English to Hebrew and I believe that this is it, it's at least close enough. :laugh:

English: live long and prosper

Hebrew: chay chakah gam tsalach

Edited by Gamera

Thanks everyone. I'm just trying to teach Star Trek to a Jewish friend and I thought I'd learn something in Jewish too.

So Gamera, how exactly do you pronouse that again?

Heberw: chay chakah gam tsalack

What does "ch" sound like?

its kind of like T-and-Y. *repeats the sound over and over* It's hard to spell a sound...