Sign in to follow this  
Mike

A message from George Takei

I wanted to share this message from George Takei that is on his web site. He was talking about it during his interview with Chase at The Fandom.com.

I returned home to Los Angeles, however, to learn that there was to be an ending as well. The long run of Star Trek on television was to come to a close. "Star Trek: Enterprise" had been cancelled. Immediately, I thought of how the actors on the show must be feeling now. I know the sadness and the feeling of disappointment they must be experiencing. I suffered those same emotions so long ago. I remembered how we hoped against hope that we would be picked up. I remembered the anticipation and anxiety. I remembered the disappointment and hurt. Those actors on "Star Trek: Enterprise" were now going to be between engagements," "at leisure" - they were unemployed! Then I thought of the fans that had trekked along with us now for generations. Some had been with us from the very beginning in September of 1966, from the original series on through four spin-offs series. They, the fans, are the ones who really created the phenomenon of Star Trek. They are the real pillars of the series. I know how hurt they must be feeling. But I also know the history of Star Trek. Back in 1969, we thought we were done with Star Trek. The series, the journey, had ended - except for the reruns. Little did I know then. I think I've learned something from history since. As Spock once said, "There are always possibilities." As it turned out - there were.

George Takei.com

Thank you for sharing this! This message is what fans need to hear and take to heart. We still can be upset at the powers that be and can still write letters and speak out in favor of more trek. But there are" always possibilities," I hope that the Trek book series continue. Trek may evolve and emerge in some other format or there may be more movies or even a miniseries? Most of all we should keep the faith and continue to enjoy Trek in all the ways we can.

Takei is absolutely right. Everyone is treating the cancellation of Enterprise as the death knell for Star Trek. This is only an interlude. There will absolutely be another series. I have no doubt about that. The only thing in question is how long will we have to wait? As for the book series, that has nothing to do with the TV series. As long as the books sell, they will continue to be written. We went almost 20 years between TOS and TNG and the books flourished. They will continue to do so.

George Takei is right - there always are possibilities and maybe just maybe this is not the end of ST just a temporary break - great sentiments - I feel better already