Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Advice on strange car symptom...

Yes a standard. I looked on the floorboard but did find it then I noticed the carpet was loose and peeled it back to reveal a little round blue piece of plastic laying loose; I will put it on the list of possibilitys. Would yours still crank properly with this piece broken?

If that was your problem, it would not do anything. It would be like a dead battery. My mustang was not very forgiving with that. I would really have to floor the clutch to get the car started.

Well we bought it for $500 and figured it would need a few things done down the road and it did: tranny, starter and water pump so far but it came with a new clutch, alternator,  brakejob and two new tires on the drive axle. We feel we got a bargain on the Silver Ghost even with the Xtra cash we have plopped down to keep it running but yeah, a point could be reached where it is better to replace.

323415[/snapback]

Sounds like my old Tracer. My mother and I had gotten it for $600. It ended up needing some repairs, but kept on going.. Eventually I would have probably had to replace it in a year or two. However, I was involved in a serious car wreck that completely totalled that car :rofl: (I was at a stop light and was rammed by an elderly man in an F350 truck, he was going at 45mph when he hit me and sent me into the Thunderbird in front of me.. They luckily did not sustain any injuries or much damage). But when that car was in one piece, it was definately a bargain (especially for the two semesters I was making an hour and a half round trip commute to college, upwards of four days a week. I had gotten the car about a month after I graduated high school in 1998, and the car wreck occurred March of 2004)

Edited by Yillara_Soong

Yes a standard. I looked on the floorboard but did find it then I noticed the carpet was loose and peeled it back to reveal a little round blue piece of plastic laying loose; I will put it on the list of possibilitys. Would yours still crank properly with this piece broken?

If that was your problem, it would not do anything. It would be like a dead battery. My mustang was not very forgiving with that. I would really have to floor the clutch to get the car started.

323449[/snapback]

True.

Well we bought it for $500 and figured it would need a few things done down the road and it did: tranny, starter and water pump so far but it came with a new clutch, alternator,  brakejob and two new tires on the drive axle. We feel we got a bargain on the Silver Ghost even with the Xtra cash we have plopped down to keep it running but yeah, a point could be reached where it is better to replace.

323415[/snapback]

Sounds like my old Tracer. My mother and I had gotten it for $600. It ended up needing some repairs, but kept on going.. Eventually I would have probably had to replace it in a year or two. However, I was involved in a serious car wreck that completely totalled that car B) (I was at a stop light and was rammed by an elderly man in an F350 truck, he was going at 45mph when he hit me and sent me into the Thunderbird in front of me.. They luckily did not sustain any injuries or much damage). But when that car was in one piece, it was definately a bargain (especially for the two semesters I was making an hour and a half round trip commute to college, upwards of four days a week. I had gotten the car about a month after I graduated high school in 1998, and the car wreck occurred March of 2004)

323463[/snapback]

Wow Yillara that was close!

Thanks everyone for your input, I've compiled a great list of options thanks to you. :laugh:

it's a very old car.... my advice? buy a new one. it's not worth it

323594[/snapback]

It's a Honda - if it doesn't have 300,000 miles on it - it's still got a future. B)

323600[/snapback]

Amen UH, :laugh: I see you understand exactly our attraction to the car. When I first got it in it I looked at the odometer (210 thousand+ miles) I thought; oh no, it's about to die; it should be on it's way to the wreaker but then I drove it & its fine all around performance for such an old high mileage vehicle convinced me to buy it within a couple of miles.

I talked to a friend who works on cars alot.

he said it could be as simple as a vacum problem

check your vacum hoses to see if they are loose or worn and cracked.

I'll put it on the list Odo. Right now I'm running a tankfull with FI cleaner added, I'll keep you updated. 30 miles about 12 uneventful starts so far since adding...

Since I last posted it pulled this stunt 3 more times including today but today I had a surprise waiting for the car; last night I parked it at the shop so if it did it this morning it could go right onto the diagnostic which it now is...

...at first a bad fuel pump was slated as the reason but they later called recanting that diagnosis stating a "failing fuel relay switch" as the cause. I ok'ed the repair and have since completion of the repair noticed a marked improvement (starts faster than ever) in all starting situations. I hope that's the end.

Good i hope it works and you have no further problems.