Sign in to follow this  
Gotabite

Holograms, Can They Be That Real?

:grin: My understanding of holograms is that they are projected images of light. Some can hold things and be touched because of tractor beams and force field technology.....Okay so here is my issue with some of what I saw on Voyager. There were intimate interactions with holograms that I don't see or understand how they occurred or could be possible. Tom for example....before his involvement with B'Ellanna, was in a holodeck scene in a bar, where he was kissing a hologram female. In another episode, the Doctor created a hologram duplicate of Tuvok's wife to help Tuvok through his Pon Far. In the final episode of Voyager, the Doctor was seen with his human wife. My question about hologram's is how can they be capable of that level of intimacy....and even more, how could a human see that as a subsititue, and find it even the slights bit acceptable? Perhaps this is a "stupid" question. But it's been on my mind for quite a while. B) B)

the holograms probably have very sophisticated programs that allow them to emulate human behaviour very convincingly - just look at today's electronic games and then think 400 years later - same probably goes for the physical 'feel' of the holodeck images, right? - and as for 'real' humans adjusting to the substitution (like Tom being able to kiss one, and Tuvok being able to...), who knows what humans could get used to? ...betcha 400 years ago they never THOUGHT we'd use stuff like toilet paper and cell phones, ya know?

Well, I remember they said that in the holodeck it was a mix of transporter technology and holography...

Maybe that's the case for the doctor and all.

As for a son... Adopted! lol

:laugh: See, all of the most recent comments about the Doctor, again have everything to do with my questions about Holograms. Sometimes in my opinion the story line in certain Star Trek episodes treats them as though they have the same capabilities as humans.........And while we watch these episodes we almost forget to question......HOW CAN THIS BE? :o :wow:

My question about holograms is how can they be capable of that level of intimacy....and even more, how could a human see that as a subsititue, and find it even the slightest bit acceptable?

To answer this, I present the Doctor in his own words. He can say it better than I.

"He's [Michael] as real as I am! Photons and force fields; flesh and blood--it's all the same, as long as your feelings are real. He makes a joke; you laugh. Is that an illusion? He says something that makes you think. Does it matter how his molecules are aligned? Did it ever occur to you that it's not just a question of whether or not he's real?" -- The Doctor from "Fair Haven" (speaking to Janeway)

I think that all just sums it up.

And thanks for all the speculation on the son thing. Yeah, maybe he did adopt. Very possible.

the holograms probably have very sophisticated programs that allow them to emulate human behaviour very convincingly - just look at today's electronic games and then think 400 years later - same probably goes for the physical 'feel' of the holodeck images, right? - and as for 'real' humans adjusting to the substitution (like Tom being able to kiss one, and Tuvok being able to...), who knows what humans could get used to? ...betcha 400 years ago they never THOUGHT we'd use stuff like toilet paper and cell phones, ya know?

maybe, but toilet paper and cell phones are a little different than kissing or more with energy, light, and force fields. Maybe if they were alive ( like the doctor), but otherwise it's kinda like getting it on with a pillow...

:rolleyes: My understanding of holograms is that they are projected images of light.  Some can hold things and be touched because of tractor beams and force field technology.....Okay so here is my issue with some of what I saw on Voyager.  There were intimate interactions with holograms that I don't see or understand how they occurred or could be possible.  Tom for example....before his involvement with B'Ellanna, was in a holodeck scene in a bar, where he was kissing a hologram female.  In another episode, the Doctor created a hologram duplicate of Tuvok's wife to help Tuvok through his Pon Far.  In the final episode of Voyager, the Doctor was seen with his human wife.  My question about hologram's is how can they be capable of that level of intimacy....and even more, how could a human see that as a subsititue, and find it even the slights bit acceptable?  Perhaps this is a "stupid" question.  But it's been on my mind for quite a while. :huh:  :ph34r:

s130.jpg

s158.jpg

okay, i just about died laughing when i saw the sperm comment - i know, i know, about the toilet paper and cell-phones, but all i meant was that technological advancement breeds social sensitizing - we invent it, we get used to it - and by the way, i LOVE my pillow .... B)

Well I read the book which was written by Robert Picardo ("The hologram's handbook") and it tells a lot of holographic feelings while being treated like a "talking tricorder" and such things.

I think holograms are as real as we are but in a different way.

Mrs. Captain Picard

Hey, I just need to thank everyone for giving me all of the great feedback and insight about Hologram. :laugh:

OK....YOU HAVE ALL GIVEN ME SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT FOR SURE.......HMMMMMMMMMMM.HOLOGRAMS BEING REAL, HMMMMMMMMM :angry: :angry: THINK I'LL PUT IN AN ORDER FOR A NEW HUSBAND.

OK....YOU HAVE ALL GIVEN ME SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT FOR SURE.......HMMMMMMMMMMM.HOLOGRAMS BEING REAL, HMMMMMMMMM  :lol:  :P THINK I'LL PUT IN AN ORDER FOR A NEW HUSBAND.

Interesting thought.......if you try it let me know how things turn out B) ........Last night's Voyager episode in my area dealt with the very issue of how real holograms can truly be. the episode provided a great deal of thought....at least for me. ;)