Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Military weapons with a (R) by the name?

Okay, I'm at the Navy's website, and the Tomahawk ® Land Attack Missile has the little Circle R next to it, signalling Brand? Oh my! THat's kinda special! I guess Raytheon didn't want anyone infringing on their design...what do you guys think about this?

Proof? Tomahawk ®, Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trm. Off., Property of the United States Government

Edited by Jim Phaserman

I really don't think its the design that they are so much worried about, but the name Tomahawk ® Land Attack Missile. The ® is there to protect the name from another company naming their missile Tomahawk®. The Navy owns the missile, because they spent the millions to buy it. Raytheon spent millions in designing, marketing, and making the missile.

Tomahawk ®, Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trm. Off., Property of the United States Government

This little note on the bottom of the page explains it all, Jim. They are protecting active patents. I am surprised that the patent numbers. are not listed. I guess it is classified.

I agree with above posters. The R symbol represents trademark protection of a patent. Patents are intersting. My significant other just went to a patent conference for librarians. My personal experince was long ago looking in old fashioned patent books - like a hundred years old, to do a referecne question on patents for parts of hansome cabs and a couple other things. hopefully the patent office has modernized! :dude: The whole matter of copyright and patent on electonic information is interesting and tricky.

it doesn't just register that its patented, but also that the US government, if it were so inclined could allow one of its allied countries to make and defend their countries using that particular patented design and make money for virtually doing nothing. Makes a change governments actually making money for nothing when they usually spend it on doing nothing (sorry)

Patents are temporary amd copyrights are pretty much permanent. A copyright gets revised from time to time. Sometimes with very few changes to the original. A patent eventually runs out. Meaning that the patent no longer applies to keeping others from actually using the formula or design. For example name brand drugs and generics. Usually generics are only availabe when the patent to the formula runs out. Newer meds most likely will not have a generic.