Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

The Women of Star Trek

Star Trek has usually had a mostly male cast. With that said, do you feel the female gender was treated equally?

TOS - Uhura

TNG - Troi, Crusher, Yar

DS9 - Kira, Jadzia Dax, Ezri Dax

VOY - Janeway, Torres, Seven, Kes

ENT - T'Pol, Hoshi Sato

So, do you feel they're characters where developed as well as the male characters? Who's your favorite from all the shows so far? Mine's Kes.

I would have to say kira she was in a position of power and they developed her charicter the best thats what i think I like kes too but they should have never made the voy ep. fury that so insulted her

Janeway, I also like the way that on Voyager, the three smartest members of the senior staff in the second half of the series were all strong, independant women (Janeway, Torres, Seven) But at the same time, they didn't cut the men down to insignifigant roles. Tom was still one of the best pilots to be found, the Doc was a medical genious (programed to be, of course) Tuvok had all the past knowlage and logic, while Harry was the one with all the energy as it was his frist mission. They treated everyone as near equals :waaaa:

Janeway, I also like the way that on Voyager, the three smartest members of the senior staff in the second half of the series were all strong, independant women (Janeway, Torres, Seven) But at the same time, they didn't cut the men down to insignifigant roles. Tom was still one of the best pilots to be found, the Doc was a medical genious (programed to be, of course) Tuvok had all the past knowlage and logic, while Harry was the one with all the energy as it was his frist mission. They treated everyone as near equals  :laugh:

So far, I think Janeway & Seven have been the best examples of strong, independant women. :waaaa:

Crusher... :waaaa: And only sometimes were they treated equally... In group pics notice how there're often strategically in those pics.. :laugh: I could ramble on for a long while but I have a headache.. :laugh: N E way thats my two cents.. :laugh:

When male characters start wearing catsuits we can say that female characters are treated equally. DS9 and VOY did the best at portraying females as real characters. IMO, ENT is the absolute worst of the lot. I still can't understand the logic of making a Vulcan the designated sex-toy; a denoblian female would have made more sense in the catsuit. I loved Mr. Spock; T'Pol's is a horrible Vulcan. Hoshi's character is an absolute insult to women; she's whiny, complaining and ultra high-maintenance. She has no business on a starship. This show needs a real, non sex-babe, competent officer. Someone like Kira.

Kira is one of my all time favorite characters and my definite favorite female - although Janeway is a close second as favorite female characters and I have a hard time choosing between Janeway and Picard as favorite captain. But she got promoted to Admiral before he did. :grin: Jadzia and B'Elanna were also good, strong women.

They never did much with Uhuras character in TOS, which was a same

I completely agree. The Uhura character had a lot of untapped potential.

My favorite female character was Seven of Nine, followed by Tasha Yar and Captain Janeway.

I think they were treated equally. Except for the tight suits they always seemed to be wearing. Or, in TOS's case, those über-miniskirts. Gosh, those were short!

They never did much with Uhuras character in TOS, which was a shame

Well, it wasn't just Uhura. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy usually got the most development. The others weren't as fortunate. Scott, Uhura, Chekov, and Sulu were great characters, and it's a shame that not much was done with any of their characters. And Chapel, too, even though I wouldn't consider her a main character.

In my opinion, the best female character was Jadzia. Here was a strong female with exceptional intelligence, she was a science officer after all . She could also not only handle her own against any male but did so with a definete female sensibility. She could disarm any antagonistic male with just a smile and wink in her eye if she had to. Plus she was so good at what she did that there were many times that her being a female didn't matter. If there was any one person to be stuck on a planet with and have the best chance of getting back to safety, she would be my overwhelming choice. She also got my vote for having the best pair of legs in Starfleet.

Janeway, I also like the way that on Voyager, the three smartest members of the senior staff in the second half of the series were all strong, independant women (Janeway, Torres, Seven) But at the same time, they didn't cut the men down to insignifigant roles. Tom was still one of the best pilots to be found, the Doc was a medical genious (programed to be, of course) Tuvok had all the past knowlage and logic, while Harry was the one with all the energy as it was his frist mission. They treated everyone as near equals  :grin:

So far, I think Janeway & Seven have been the best examples of strong, independant women. B)

Despite Seven's outfit, but they were two of the smartest people on board B)

I really liked Seven. She was my favorite because they could ahve and did do so much with her. Tying her to Chakotay turned my stomach as i never really liked him, but hey...whatever.

I agree that i wish more had been done with Uhura.

Janeway, I also like the way that on Voyager, the three smartest members of the senior staff in the second half of the series were all strong, independant women (Janeway, Torres, Seven) But at the same time, they didn't cut the men down to insignifigant roles. Tom was still one of the best pilots to be found, the Doc was a medical genious (programed to be, of course) Tuvok had all the past knowlage and logic, while Harry was the one with all the energy as it was his frist mission. They treated everyone as near equals  :grin:

One of the reasons I am such a Voyager fan is because of the strong, positive female characters that were developed for that series. Not only were they strong. But they also held important positions of athority along with their male crew members. My favorite female Star Trek charater is B'Ellanna, with Seven a close second. B)

I think Lt.Uhura of TOS should had more screen time too but at the time they only focused on the big three. I agree that they sexualize T'Pol too blatantly. IMO her sexuality should be subtle and not shoved in your face. I don't think women have always been treated equally in ST but it's ground breaking in it's portrayal of them. BTW remember back in TOS first pilot Capt Pike's first officer was a woman. She was called Number 1, but this idea died when the 2nd pilot was made. NBC didn't think it appropriate that a woman should hold a command position. Things have certainly changed.

They never did much with Uhuras character in TOS, which was a shame

i think that one thing your overlooking is the time in which uhura was on television. first of all she was a woman, second a black woman, as such, i think they did a great job with her. in a time when woman werent treated at all equally,(i know maybe still not now, but much, much more than then), and as a black actress, she got a key role in a television show, and wasnt cast as some kind of hoshi, or something derogatory. so all things being relative i think she showed a GOOD, STRONG CHARACTER, that got treated very well. also compare her character to that of the other females in TOS, she was much more a part of the team than any of the others. its easier for a woman in todays society to get a strong role, as opposed to nichelle nichols time. so my votes for uhura. :o

I think all the women on Star Trek have been equally well representive.They have all had strong character development,Even Hoshi is getting there,we'll see how she does next season.

As for Uhura,at one point Nichelle Nichols was not happy with where her character was going and on a friday afternoon she gave Gene Roddenberry a letter of resignation. That weekend at a NAACP meeting she was attending she was approuched and told a big fan of hers was there and wanted to meet her.She was then led over to a group of people and in the middle of the group was her fan,his name was Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.When she informed him that she wanted to leave the show Dr. King told her she should not,he also told her that his family's favorite TV show was Star Trek because it gave hope to the future,he said she has become a role model for not only African-Americans but to women as well! Uhura was a black woman officer on the bridge of the Federation flagship,and in the 60's that was pratically unheard of.

The following monday Ms Nichols returned to Gene Roddenberry and asked that letter she had left be torn up and that she would stay.The rest they say is history!

My favorite are the two Dax...

If I had to choose, I would take Jadzia since she was there longer.

And I like Kira a lot also.. For the inner strengh she have.