Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Do you feel that this movie is underrated? I sure do. There is much good to the movie. We are introduced to Sybok, Spock's brother, who was pretty much the black sheep of the family because he felt that emotions weren't illogical. He is a very interesting character.

My favorite scene of the movie is when Sybok shows Kirk, Spock and McCoy the root of their hurt.

-Spock being that his father was ashamed of him when he was born

-Bones unplugging his father on his death bed only to find out that there was a cure a short time later.

but Kirk refuses because it is our past experiences that make us who we are. Totally agree with that.

It is an interesting movie that still has it's humor, especially at the beginnning when Spock is trying to grasp the concept of sing-a-longs.

all in all, this movie is better than what people sometimes give it credit for.

Sorry to disagree but this was my least favorite Star Trek movie EVER. The introduction of Sybok was annoying to me. In twenty some years of boing friends and coworkers, it NEVER came up that Spock had a half brother? Puh-lease, that's just a writer trying to come up with a hook for a story! While showing the pain of each person was interesting, the long exposition through the "dangerous area" that turned out to be an illusion was annoying to me. The off key singing of Row your Boat was painful on many levels. Scotty hitting his head on a pipe was insulting to his knowledge of starfleet ships. Sulu getting lost was not that funny either imo - seems to be Shatner making fun of his fellow cast members. Shatner's direction was not very good imo, and I have read where he admitted that Nimoy told him to shoot extra footage in case it was needed, but Shatner did not shoot it and then discovered that was a mistake, as he had been TOLD by Nimoy, a much better more experienced director.

I was seriously worried at the time that Shatner had destroyed the movie franchise with this film. Fortunately that did not happen, but I still view it as a low point of Star Trek movies ( I do however, really enjoy Shatner as Denny Crane on Boston Legal - good acting (Just don't let him direct Star Trek again, please!)

I think that Trek V is the worst movie of them all. Shatner's directing was horrible. The whole crew, especially Kirk were just parodies of themselves throughout the whole movie. Kirk was just being a stand-up comedian throughout. I detest this movie.

I hear you Gamera, don't let em browbeat you into submission on this!

ST:5 was a lot like ENT INS & NEM, if you are/were open/able to see beneath the surface the Gem hidden inside becomes visible besides, not everything can be a Wrath of Khan or a First Contact. I consider 5 to top the list of the weak films, FF also has imo the best soundtrack of all the films.

It's not a bad movie, but there are a few things I didn't like about it:

1- The Enterprise travelling to the center of the galaxy in such a short time.

2- Uhura dancing naked and looking ALL of her sixty years of age doing it. Yuk!!!!!

3- The crappy Sybok army. Especially that bald crippled bloke with the bad teeth.

4- The "God" special effect.

5- The Enterprise having about 374 decks.

6- Spock neck pinching the blue horned horse....thing.

7- The butch female Klingon.

8- The Federation, Klingon and Romulan ambassadors.

9- That weird cat feline dancer woman thingy.

Other than all that, it was OK.

I agree that the Final Frontier was a weakest movie and tied with being the worse with NEM.

I dont think its the worst movie, that goes to the Motion picture, I always enjoyed watching, proably because it was the 1st trek movie I saw at the Theater

I think that The Motion Picture is really underrated. I like the movie and the director's cut is great.

There are some reasons I don't like the movie. I don't like the plot of looking for God and going to the centre of the universe. However, I liked the idea that there are Vulcans who do have emotions. It certainly was the weakest movie.

I wasn't too impressed with this movie at all for many of the reasons listed above. It certainly seems we weren't the only ones. I've read that Gene Roddenberry hated it so much he didn't want it to be considered canon.

Trek V was also the movie that made Harve Bennett leave the world of Trek. He was a big reason why Treks 2,3 & 4 were good.

It's not a bad movie, but there are a few things I didn't like about it:

1- The Enterprise travelling to the center of the galaxy in such a short time.

2- Uhura dancing naked and looking ALL of her sixty years of age doing it. Yuk!!!!!

3- The crappy Sybok army. Especially that bald crippled bloke with the bad teeth.

4- The "God" special effect.

5- The Enterprise having about 374 decks.

6- Spock neck pinching the blue horned horse....thing.

7- The butch female Klingon.

8- The Federation, Klingon and Romulan ambassadors.

9- That weird cat feline dancer woman thingy.

Other than all that, it was OK.

319143[/snapback]

Many of these points I agree with. Sybok's army look too much like extras from a Mad Max film, and the special effects on ST5 were not done by Industrial Light & Magic...and it shows. The whole "God" premise is now a cliche, already explored better in 2001 and the novels of Frank Herbert, not to mention Olaf Stapleton. I actually thought Uhura looked pretty good...but then, I like black women so I'm bias.

It wouldn't have gotten any worse if that dude from Escape from New York played Kirk.

Actually, that might have been an improvement...

Why do so many people hate The Final Frontier??? I like it..a lot. It's an exploration of who we are, what we're searching for. And it was funny too! Classic Spock humor.

First of all, I really like the scenes around the camp fire in TFF. :bow:

But still, I think it's a pretty bad movie, but I don't think it's THAT bad. Insurrection was far worse, IMO. :biggrin: B)

The only thing I liked about Star Trek V was the relationship between Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

The rest of the movie sucks.

344656[/snapback]

I completely agree.