Sign in to follow this  
Turak

I've always wondered...

Have you ever noticed that in "All Good Things", Captain Beverly Picard orders her vessel to travel faster than warp 10? I don't remember exactly what the speed was..i'm thinking she said warp 13. Anyway, if it was already known that warp 10 was unreachable, and was infinate speed, why the warp 13? There is probably a explanation somewhere, but I don't know what it is. Just wanting to find out if anyone knew more about it

Stardate:213444.9

For one it was the future so we dont know what technology they have came up with by then.Second warp 10 is possible because Paris did it in Voyager.I cant exactl recall the name of the episode right now.

Warp 10 is possible, isn't that just the known warp barrier, and passing it means going transwarp?! Or am I totally mistaking (I have a hangover, so it could be possible) :waaaa:

I've heard speculation that the warp scale was reworked or that they had gotten Transwarp to work in that one, either could be used, I guess... :grin:

I've heard speculation that the warp scale was reworked or that they had gotten Transwarp to work in that one, either could be used, I guess... :grin:

Me too... hmmm this is a good one B)

I would think that by that time they would have achieved transwarp technology, and they may have incorporated transwarp speeds into the warp scale to make it simpler than stating regular warp or transwarp whenever giving orders.

TNG - "All Good Things..."

In this episode, the official explanation is that they were using a different warp scale, thus Warp 13.

VOY - "Threshold"

Tom Paris took a Type-9 Shuttlecraft to warp 10, subsequently ending up everywhere in the galaxy - infinite speed. Supposely, you can avoid this problem by using transwarp or transwarp conduits, like the Borg.

Hope that answers your questions! :)

I know that, going on what we know, Warp 10 is like being in all places at once. 9.97 would be very fast but 10 just sort of tips the balance. This, we may only conjecture, is only relative to standard warp speeds. In the Original Series, there was an older scale which had Warp 13 and all, and then this was converted into the TNG new scale. I suppose in the alternate future, ways were found to go over the warp 10 barrier without the whole 'in infinite places' thing going on... who can say?

I've always wondered that too...also, how they can say that warp ten is fastest possible, if in Where no one has gone before, for example, they wen't faster than it. If Warp 10 is everywhere at once, then none of this makes any sense...my head hurts.