Sign in to follow this  
ensign_beedrill

Holodeck Episodes

In an online community I'm a part of, a post was made that simply said this:

Okay, here's a question I know some people have strong feelings about:

Holodeck based episodes. Good or bad?

Discuss.

I think this is a great topic. As the original poster stated, people have some strong feelings about this one. I'd like to hear your opinions on this. Here's what I said:

Holodeck episodes are great. Even if some of them are a little repetitious. They give the writers a chance to write about something other than spaceships and aliens and phasers. With holodecks, they can go back in time, recreate anything, explore topics that could not otherwise be explored on a starship. Most gave great insight and made for a great plot. "Elementary, Dear Data," for example. It made me think so much after I watched that. What is life? Who are we to judge? What would it be like to be stored in a computer? Holodecks take the viewer far beyond the confines of space and time, and into a limitless world of imagination where anything can (and most often does) happen.

"Ship in a Bottle" again stretches your mind around new concepts. "A Fistful of Datas" and "Fair Haven" serve as a reminder that life in Starfleet is not always battles with Romulans and other hardships, but can be fun and entertaining. "Our Man Bashir," "The Killing Game," and "Worst Case Scenario" make for fun and exciting adventures.

There are no limits with Holodecks, which makes them a very effective storytelling device.

I totally agree with everything you said. appl.gif

( Yes, that's my insightful contribution to this topic. 1053180188.gif )

I agree with her, on agreeing with you, lol.

I also agree. Lots of the Holodeck episodes were good. I know B&B said that the one thing that they would miss in ENT were the Holodecks.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I also agree. Lots of the Holodeck episodes were good. I know B&B said that the one thing that they would miss in ENT were the Holodecks.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Yes thats why ENT is so bad.

think the hd shows were great but like a friend said to me if i were on a ship that had that many problems in the hd then i shure would not go into one don't you think? :waaaa:

AWFULLY WITTY ARENT WE? :waaaa: i agree with ya though. but i dont think ENT suffers for the lack of a holodeck, its too early for them to have one, i think it would suffer more if they did have one.

I thought most of the holodeck episodes on TNG were great. Even the episodes that were not centred in the holodeck but just had a short scene (like the one's with Data doing Shakespeare) were useful to showing us more about the characters. Would you agree that Picard was perceived differently after The Big Goodbye.

Stardate:213444.9

Elementry Dear Data is one of my favorite TNG episodes

While they are slightly overused sometimes, they are generally very well done because the writers can rely on something other than the evil alien/shuttle crash/virus of the week. There is a lot of variety that can happen on the holodeck :waaaa:

I always loved the HD episodes. It was great to have our tried and true characters having the opportunity to interact in an environment outside of the "Starship" scene. This gave them an opportunity to be more 'human" and to establish that there was more to the characters than just starfleet (their jobs).

Would you agree that Picard was perceived differently after The Big Goodbye.

I might have viewed him a little differently. It did show another side to him. The fun side. It seems that he's always so serious, as a captain should be, but maybe a little too serious. It was nice to get a glimpse into what he does for recreation.

The talk about lack of holodecks on Enterprise brings something interesting to mind. TOS didn't have holodecks, but that didn't stop them from having "holodeck type" adventures. Ever notice how a lot of holodeck programs revolve around historical events? Now, remember all of those TOS episodes where they found a planet that just happened to be just like some aspect of old Earth? There was the gangster planet, the Nazi planet, the Roman planet, and the planet with the people who came up with an exact replica of the Constitution of the United States (among other things). There was that one where they were in the old west. One where they found Earth, but the only people on it were children. They met a Greek god one time. And don't forget all the times they went back in time to old Earth! They could do something like that with Enterprise if they miss holodecks so much!

I read that the reason that TOS had so many shows that had places that looked like earth or they went back in time was that there was already sets of those times and places as well as costumes so that show did not cost as much sorry to say but money rules everything

Would you agree that Picard was perceived differently after The Big Goodbye.

I might have viewed him a little differently. It did show another side to him. The fun side. It seems that he's always so serious, as a captain should be, but maybe a little too serious. It was nice to get a glimpse into what he does for recreation.

The talk about lack of holodecks on Enterprise brings something interesting to mind. TOS didn't have holodecks, but that didn't stop them from having "holodeck type" adventures. Ever notice how a lot of holodeck programs revolve around historical events? Now, remember all of those TOS episodes where they found a planet that just happened to be just like some aspect of old Earth? There was the gangster planet, the Nazi planet, the Roman planet, and the planet with the people who came up with an exact replica of the Constitution of the United States (among other things). There was that one where they were in the old west. One where they found Earth, but the only people on it were children. They met a Greek god one time. And don't forget all the times they went back in time to old Earth! They could do something like that with Enterprise if they miss holodecks so much!

That would be neat! There have been some homage episodes to TOS so far, I consider Strange New World, Vox Sola and Dead Stop to be homage episodes to the strange types of Aliens we sometimes saw on TOS, the writers will hit a stride soon and knock our socks off with more gems of this sort, I hope.)

"Hollow Pursuites" and "Fist Full Of Data's" are great giving the actors a chance to streach. Data playing cards with Newton, Einstein and Hawking was neat for a short scene

Actually in one of the animated TOS episodes, I think it was "The Practical Joker", they do have a holodeck however I think they just called it a rec room. I remember Sulu and another crew member getting trapped in it and it kept changing enviornments. I know it's not "Canon" but it is there.

I agree with everyone who agreed with ensign beedrill. Holodeck episodes are great! I especially love ship in a bottle, which makes you think, and fistful of Datas, which is really funny :lol:

think the hd shows were great but like a friend said to me if i were on a ship that had that many problems in the hd then i shure would not go into one don't you think? :)

SOUNDS LIKE I NEED TO TAKE SOME CAUTION AROUND THOSE HOLODECKS. MAYBE I WILL NOT GO IN ONE...........SOUNDS LIKE THEY ARE DANGEROUS!